A prevalence study of IgG4-related ophthalmic disease in Japan
- … show all 0 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Immunoglobulin (Ig)G4-related ophthalmic disease belongs to a category of ocular adnexal lymphoproliferative disorders, the most frequent group of orbital tumors and simulating lesions. The aim of this study was to elucidate the number of IgG4-related diseases of orbital lymphoproliferative disorders and correlate ages and sex of such patients from 18 centers in Japan.
One thousand and fourteen patients with orbital lymphoproliferative disorders were enrolled in this study. All had pathologically diagnosed lymphoproliferative disorders with surgical samples of ocular adnexal tissue. Patients with conjunctival lesions and intraocular lymphoma were excluded.
Of the 1,014 cases of orbital lymphoproliferative disorders 404 (39.8 %) had extranodal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphoma, 156 (15.4 %) had other malignant lymphomas, 191 (18.8 %) had non-IgG4 orbital inflammation, 219 (21.6 %) had IgG4-related orbital inflammation, and 44 (4.3 %) had IgG4-positive MALT lymphoma. Median age of the IgG4-related orbital inflammation group was 62 years, which is significantly lower than that of the MALT lymphoma group (median 66 years) and higher than the non-IgG4 orbital inflammation group (median 57 years). The male/female ratio was 105/114 in the IgG4-related orbital inflammation group.
Nearly a quarter of orbital lymphoproliferative disorders in Japan are related to IgG4.
- Yamamoto M, Harada S, Ohara M, Suzuki C, Naishiro Y, Yamamoto H, et al. Clinical and pathological differences between Mikulicz’s disease and Sjögren’s syndrome. Rheumatology. 2005;44:227–34. CrossRef
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan JK. Chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis: part of the spectrum of IgG4-related Sclerosing disease? Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:643–5. CrossRef
- Takahira M, Kawano M, Zen Y, Minato H, Yamada K, Sugiyama K. IgG4-related chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007;125:1575–8. CrossRef
- Yamamoto M, Takahashi H, Naishiro Y, Isshiki H, Ohara M, Suzuki C, et al. Mikulicz’s disease and systemic IgG4-related plasmacytic syndrome (SIPS). Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi. 2008;31:1–8. CrossRef
- Masaki Y, Dong L, Kurose N, Kitagawa K, Morikawa Y, Yamamoto M, et al. Proposal for a new clinical entity, IgG4-positive multiorgan lymphoproliferative syndrome: analysis of 64 cases of IgG4-related disorders. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:1310–5. CrossRef
- Sato Y, Ohshima K, Ichimura K, Sato M, Yamadori I, Tanaka T, et al. Ocular adnexal IgG4-related disease has uniform clinicopathology. Pathol Int. 2008;58:465–70. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Moritani S, Katayama M, Terasaki H. Ocular adnexal IgG4-related lymphoplasmacytic infiltrative disorder. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:577–84. CrossRef
- Wallace ZS, Khosroshahi A, Jakobiec FA, Deshpande V, Hatton MP, Ritter J, et al. IgG4-related systemic disease as a cause of “idiopathic” orbital inflammation, including orbital myositis, and trigeminal nerve involvement. Surv Ophthalmol. 2012;57:26–33. CrossRef
- Mehta M, Jakobiec F, Fay A. Idiopathic fibroinflammatory disease of the face, eyelids, and periorbital membrane with immunoglobulin G4-positive plasma cells. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009;133:1251–5.
- Stone JH, Khosroshahi A, Deshpande V, Chan JK, Heathcote JG, Aalberse R, et al. IgG4-related disease: recommendations for the nomenclature of this condition and its individual organ system manifestations. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:3061–7. CrossRef
- Shikishima K, Kawai K, Kitahara K. Pathological evaluation of orbital tumours in Japan: analysis of a large case series and 1379 cases reported in the Japanese literature. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2006;34:239–44. CrossRef
- McKelvie PA. Ocular adnexal lymphomas: a review. Adv Anat Pathol. 2010;17:251–61. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Moritani S, Terasaki H. Ocular adnexal IgG4-related lymphoplasmacytic infiltrative disorder and Graves ophthalmopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129:818–9.
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan AC, Shih LY, Kuo TT, Ma MW, et al. Ocular adnexal lymphoma associated with IgG4 + chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis: a previously undescribed complication of IgG4-related sclerosing disease. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008;32:1159–67. CrossRef
- Umehara H, Okazaki K, Masaki Y, Kawano M, Yamamoto M, Saeki T, et al. Comprehensive diagnostic criteria for IgG4-related disease (IgG4-RD), 2011. Mod Rheumatol. 2012;22:21–30. CrossRef
- Kamisawa T, Funata N, Hayashi Y, Tsuruta K, Okamoto A, Amemiya K, et al. Close relationship between autoimmune pancreatitis and multifocal fibrosclerosis. Gut. 2003;52:683–7. CrossRef
- Takahira M, Ozawa Y, Kawano M, Zen Y, Hamaoka S, Yamada K, et al. Clinical aspects of IgG4-related orbital inflammation in a case series of ocular adnexal lymphoproliferative disorders. Int J Rheumatol. 2012;2012:635473.
- Deshpande V, Zen Y, Chan JK, Yi EE, Sato Y, Yoshino T, et al. Consensus statement on the pathology of IgG4-related disease. Mod Pathol. 2012;25:1181–92. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Moritani S. High incidence of autoimmune disease in Japanese patients with ocular adnexal reactive lymphoid hyperplasia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;144:148–9. CrossRef
- Goto H. Review of ocular tumor. In: Goto H, editor. Practical ophthalmology, vol. 24. Tokyo: Bunkodo; 2008. p. 2–9.
- Ohtsuka K, Hashimoto M, Suzuki Y. A review of 244 orbital tumors in Japanese patients during a 21-year period: origins and locations. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2005;49:49–55. CrossRef
- Shields JA, Shields CL, Scartozzi R. Survey of 1264 patients with orbital tumors and simulating lesions: the 2002 Montgomery Lecture, part I. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:997–1008. CrossRef
- Shinder R, Al-Zubidi N, Esmaeli B. Survey of orbital tumors at a comprehensive cancer center in the United States. Head Neck. 2011;33:610–4. CrossRef
- Oshima K. Ocular adnexal IgG4-related disorders: do they overlap with Mikulicz’s disease and MALT lymphoma? Neuro-ophthalmol Jpn. 2008;25:466–74.
- Sato Y, Notohara K, Kojima M, Takata K, Masaki Y, Yoshino T. IgG4-related disease: historical overview and pathology of hematological disorders. Pathol Int. 2010;60:247–58. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Moritani S, Yoshino T, Nagai H, Terasaki H. Ocular adnexal marginal zone B cell lymphoma infiltrated by IgG4-positive plasma cells. J Clin Pathol. 2010;63:1059–65. CrossRef
- Sato Y, Ohshima K, Takata K, Huang X, Cui W, Ohno K, Yoshino T. Ocular adnexal IgG4-producing mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma mimicking IgG4-related disease. J Clin Exp Hematop. 2012;52:51–5. CrossRef
- Oyama T, Takizawa J, Nakamura N, Aoki S, Aizawa Y, Abe H. Multifocal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma associated with IgG4-related disease: a case report. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2011;55:304–6. CrossRef
- Zen Y, Inoue D, Kitao A, Onodera M, Abo H. Miyayama Set al. IgG4-related lung and pleural disease: a clinicopathologic study of 21 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33:1886–93. CrossRef
- Saeki T, Nishi S, Imai N, Ito T, Yamazaki H, Kawano M, et al. Clinicopathological characteristics of patients with IgG4-related tubulointerstitial nephritis. Kidney Int. 2010;78:1016–23. CrossRef
- Kawano M, Saeki T, Nakashima H, Nishi S, Yamaguchi Y, Hisano S, et al. Proposal for diagnostic criteria for IgG4-related kidney disease. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2011;15:615–26. CrossRef
- Kamisawa T, Takuma K, Tabata T, Inaba Y, Egawa N, Tsuruta K, et al. Serum IgG4-negative autoimmune pancreatitis. J Gastroenterol. 2011;46:108–16. CrossRef
- Inoue D, Zen Y, Abo H, Gabata T, Demachi H, Yoshikawa J, et al. Immunoglobulin G4-related periaortitis and periarteritis: CT findings in 17 patients. Radiology. 2011;261:625–33. CrossRef
- Inoue D, Zen Y, Sato Y, Demachi H, Uchiyama A, Gabata T, et al. IgG4-related perineural disease. Int J Rheumatol. 2012;2012:401890.
- Ohta N, Kurakami K, Ishida A, Furukawa T, Saito F, Kakehata S, et al. Clinical and pathological characteristics of IgG4-related sclerosing sialadenitis. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:572–7. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Moritani S. Orbital IgG4-related disease: clinical features and diagnosis. ISRN Rheumatol. 2012;2012:412896.
- Ohshima K, Sogabe Y, Sato Y. The usefulness of infraorbital nerve enlargement on MRI imaging in clinical diagnosis of IgG4-related orbital disease. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2012;56:380–2. CrossRef
- Sogabe Y, Miyatani K, Goto R, Ishii G, Ohshima KI, Sato Y. Pathological findings of infraorbital nerve enlargement in IgG4-related ophthalmic disease. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2012;56:511–4. CrossRef
- Suzuki M, Mizumachi T, Morita S, Kubota K, Iizuka K. A case of immunoglobulin G4-related disease with bilateral mass-forming lesions in the nasolacrimal ducts. J Clin Rheumatol. 2011;17:207–10. CrossRef
- Batra R, Mudhar HS, Sandramouli S. A unique case of IgG4 sclerosing dacryocystitis. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;28:e70–2. CrossRef
- A prevalence study of IgG4-related ophthalmic disease in Japan
Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 57, Issue 6 , pp 573-579
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- MALT lymphoma
- Industry Sectors