Hyperreflective dots surrounding the central retinal artery and vein in optic disc melanocytoma revealed by spectral domain optical coherence tomography
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To report findings of optic disc melanocytoma (ODM) obtained using spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SD OCT), with special reference to the central retinal artery and vein surrounded by hyperreflective dots.
Retrospective review of five eyes of five patients with ODM. Demographic information, ophthalmic examination including best-corrected visual acuity, dilated funduscopic examination, and SD OCT images were evaluated.
Dome-shaped, darkly pigmented tumors were seen ophthalmoscopically in the optic discs of all eyes. On OCT, the first branches of the central retinal artery and/or vein were well defined as oblique sections of tubular structures with a perivascular distribution of hyperreflective dots in the elevated retina (nerve fiber layer) over the tumor. The portions where these vessels turn toward the retina were displaced more anteriorly than those of eyes without ODM. Hyperreflective dots of various sizes were also observed in elevated retinas over the tumors, which shadowed and obscured the subjacent tissue in all eyes.
SD OCT provides higher definition images of ODM relating to the branches of the central retinal artery/vein, revealing anterior displacement of vessels and perivascular distribution of hyperreflective dots that suggest melanophages and/or tumor cells or proteins and/or lipid deposits.
- Zimmerman LE, Garron LK. Melanocytoma of the optic disc. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1962;2:431–40. CrossRef
- Shields JA, Demirci H, Mashayekhi A, Shields C. Melanocytoma of optic disc in 115 cases. The 2004 Samuel Johnson memorial lecture, part 1. Ophthalmology. 2004;2004(111):1739–46.
- Shields JA, Demirci H, Mashayekhi A, Eagle RC, Shields CL. Melanocytoma of the optic disc: a review. Surv Ophthalmol. 2006;51:93–104. CrossRef
- DeVeer JA. Melanotic tumors of the optic nerve head: a pathologic study. Arch Ophthalmol. 1961;65:536–41. CrossRef
- Juarez CP, Tso MO. An ultrastructural study of melanocytomas (magnocellular nevi) of the optic disk and uvea. Am J Ophthalmol. 1980;90:48–62.
- Mansour AM, Zimmerman L, La Piana FG, Beauchamp GR. Clinicopathological findings in a growing optic nerve melanocytoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 1989;73:410–5. CrossRef
- Antcliff RJ, Ffytche TJ, Shilling JS, Marshall J. Optical coherence tomography of melanocytoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2000;130:845–7. CrossRef
- Shields CL, Perez B, Benavides R, Materin MA, Shields JA. Optical coherence tomography of optic disk melanocytoma in 15 cases. Retina. 2008;28:441–6. CrossRef
- Finger PT, Natesh S, Milman T. Optical coherence tomography: pathology correlation of optic disc melanocytoma. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:112–9. CrossRef
- Kamisasanuki T, Uchino E, Sakamoto T. Choroidal neovascularization of optic disk melanocytoma treated with bevacizumab. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22:503–5. CrossRef
- Bolz M, Schmidt-Erfurth U, Deak G, Mylonas G, Kriechbaum K, Scholda C. Optical coherence tomography hyperreflective foci: a morphologic sign of lipid extravasation in diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:914–20. CrossRef
- Ota M, Nishijima K, Sakamoto A, Murakami T, Takayama K, Horii T, et al. Optical coherence tomographic evaluation of foveal hard exudates in patients with diabetic maculopathy accompanying macular detachment. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1996–2002. CrossRef
- Uji A, Murakami T, Nishijima K, Akagi T, Horii T, Arakawa N, et al. Association between hyperreflective foci in the outer retina, status of photoreceptor layer, and visual acuity in diabetic macular edema. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153:710–7. CrossRef
- Font RL, Zimmerman LE, Armaly MF. The nature of the orange pigment over a choroidal melanoma: histochemical and electron microscopical observations. Arch Ophthalmol. 1974;91:359–62. CrossRef
- Say EA, Shah SU, Ferenczy S, Shields CL. Optical coherence tomography of retinal and choroidal tumors. J Ophthalmol. doi:10.1155/2011/385058.
- Arima M, Yoshikawa H, Kagimoto T, Kohono R, Ishibashi T. A case of metastatic choroidal tumor simulating a choroidal melanoma. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2011;55:312–4. CrossRef
- Spaide RF, Koizumi H, Pozzoni MC. Enhanced depth imaging spectral-domain optical coherence tomography. Am J Ophthalmol. 2008;46:496–500. CrossRef
- Tanabe H, Ito Y, Iguchi Y, Ozawa S, Ishikawa K, Terasaki H. Correlation between cross-sectional shape of choroidal veins and choroidal thickness. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2011;556:614–9. CrossRef
- Fujiwara A, Shiragami C, Shirakata Y, Manabe S, Iaumibata S, Shiraga F. Enhanced depth imaging spectral-domain optical coherence tomography of subfoveal choroidal thickness in normal Japanese eyes. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2012;56:230–5. CrossRef
- Hyperreflective dots surrounding the central retinal artery and vein in optic disc melanocytoma revealed by spectral domain optical coherence tomography
Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 57, Issue 1 , pp 108-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Optic disc
- Spectral domain optical coherence tomography
- Central retinal artery/vein
- Hyperreflective dot
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unoki Eye Clinic, 1-7-15 Harara, Kagoshima, Kagoshima, 890-0026, Japan
- 2. Kyushu University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Fukuoka, Japan
- 3. Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan