Cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery in Japan
- … show all 0 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery through measurement of the cost per quality-adjusted life-year (QALY) in Japan.
A total of 549 patients scheduled for cataract surgery at 12 clinical sites from November 2008 through February 2010 were included in the study. Prospective assessment of patient preference-based quality of life (utility) was performed before and after the surgery using the time tradeoff method, EuroQol, and Health Utilities Index Mark 3. Multiple regression analysis was used to determine the correlation between utility and visual acuity. The QALYs gained through cataract surgery were estimated, and cost-utility analysis was performed.
The utilities significantly correlated with the visual acuity in the better seeing eye. In all the subgroups (first eye surgery, second eye surgery, and bilateral surgery), mean utility improvement was statistically significant. Average QALYs for unilateral cataract surgery and bilateral cataract surgery were 2.40 and 3.40, respectively. The cost per QALY gained from surgery was estimated at ¥122,472 (US $1,307) for unilateral surgery and ¥145,562 (US $1,553) for bilateral surgery.
Routine cataract surgery in Japan is highly cost-effective. Factors that contribute to this are the high clinical effectiveness of the surgery, the substantial improvement in patient-perceived quality of life, and the reasonable cost of the surgery.
- Clement FM, Harris A, Li JJ, Yong K, Lee KM, Manns BJ. Using effectiveness and cost-effectiveness to make drug coverage decisions: a comparison of Britain, Australia, and Canada. JAMA. 2009;302:1437–43. CrossRef
- Kane RC. Comparative effectiveness and health care spending. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:1845–6. CrossRef
- Resnikoff S, Pascolini D, Etya’ale D, Kocur I, Pararajasegaram R, Pokharel GP, et al. Global data on visual impairment in the year 2002. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82:844–51.
- Ellwein LB, Urato CJ. Use of eye care and associated charges among the Medicare population: 1991–1998. Arch Ophthalmol. 2002;120:804–11.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japanese Government. Survey of Medical Care Activities in Public Health Insurance 2008. Statistics and Information Department, Minister’s Secretariat, 2009.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japanese Government. National Medical Care Expenditure Estimates FY2007. Statistics and Information Department, Minister’s Secretariat, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2009. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/k-iryohi/07/toukei6.html. Accessed 7 July 2010.
- Yamada M, Hiratsuka Y, Roberts CB, Pezzullo ML, Yates K, Takano S, et al. Prevalence of visual impairment in the adult Japanese population by cause and severity and future projections. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2010;17:50–7. CrossRef
- Busbee BG, Brown MM, Brown GC, Sharma S. Incremental cost-effectiveness of initial cataract surgery. Ophthalmology. 2002;109:606–12. CrossRef
- Kobelt G, Lundström M, Stenevi U. Cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery. Method to assess cost-effectiveness using registry data. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2002;28:1742–9. CrossRef
- Räsänen P, Krootila K, Sintonen H, Leivo T, Koivisto AM, Ryynänen OP, et al. Cost-utility of routine cataract surgery. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2006;74:1–11.
- Lansingh VC, Carter MJ, Martens M. Global cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:1670–8. CrossRef
- Takura T, Oshika T, Miyake K, Ozawa T, Yamashita H. Socioeconomic evaluation of cataract and intraocular lens surgery by cost-rate and cost-utility analysis. Jpn J Ophthalmol Surg. 2009; 22:67-76 (in Japanese).
- Naeim A, Keeler EB, Gutierrez PR, Wilson MR, Reuben D, Mangione CM. Is cataract surgery cost-effective among older patients with a low predicted probability for improvement in reported visual functioning? Med Care. 2006;44:982–9. CrossRef
- Brown MM, Brown GC, Sharma S. Evidence-based to value-based medicine. Chicago: American Medical Association Press; 2005.
- Euro Qol Group. EuroQol; a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy. 1990;16:199–208. CrossRef
- Japanese EuroQol Translation Team. The development of the Japanese EuroQol instrument. J Health Care Soc. 1998; 8:109–23 (in Japanese).
- Furlong WJ, Feeny DH, Torrance GW, Barr RD. The Health Utilities Index (HUI) system for assessing health-related quality of life in clinical studies. Ann Med. 2001;33:375–84. CrossRef
- Noto S, Uemura T. An improvement of a Health Utility Score by rehabilitation and the validity of the Japanese version Health Utility Index. Jpn J Health Econ Policy. 2009; 2:73–83 (in Japanese).
- Oshika T, Nagahara K, Yaguchi S, Emi K, Takenaka H, Tsuboi S, et al. Three year prospective, randomized evaluation of intraocular lens implantation through 3.2 and 5.5 mm incisions. J Cataract Refract Surg. 1998;24:509–14.
- Hanazaki H. The shape of optic edge and posterior cataract in silicone intraocular lens. Jpn J Ophthalmic Surg. 2004; 17:75–8 (in Japanese).
- Kurosaka D, Oguchi Y, Hosaka D, Kitahara K. Clinical evaluation of soft acrylic colored intraocular lens (AANV). IOL&RS. 2005; 19:331–8 (in Japanese).
- Matsumoto C, Iwanishi R, Saito K. Cataract surgery at the Miyoshi Kosei Hospital. Jpn Rev Clin Ophthalmol. 2007; 101:285–9 (in Japanese).
- Takeshita T. Comparison of outcome after implantation of two intraocular lenses with same design and different material. Jpn J Clin Ophthalmol. 2007; 61:399–401 (in Japanese).
- Yoshida S, Meya C, Okada Y, Matsushima H, Senoo T. The results of the intraocular lens for micro incision cataract surgery. Jpn J Ophthalmol Surg. 2009; 22:231–4 (in Japanese).
- Abridged life tables for 2008 in Japan. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/life/life08/index.html. Accessed 7 July 2010.
- Lansingh VC, Carter MJ. Use of global visual acuity data in a time trade-off approach to calculate the cost utility of cataract surgery. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127:1183–93. CrossRef
- Busbee BG, Brown MM, Brown GC, Sharma S. Cost-utility analysis of cataract surgery in the second eye. Ophthalmology. 2003;110:2310–7. CrossRef
- Ubel PA, Hirth RA, Chernew ME, Fendrick AM. What is the price of life and why doesn’t it increase at the rate of inflation? Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:1637–41. CrossRef
- Detsky AS, Laupacis A. Relevance of cost-effectiveness analysis to clinicians and policy makers. JAMA. 2007;298:221–4. CrossRef
- Brown GC, Brown MM, Sharma S, Beauchamp G, Hollands H. The reproducibility of ophthalmic utility values. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2001;99:199–203.
- Sharma S, Brown GC, Brown MM, Hollands H, Robins R, Shah GK. Validity of the time trade-off and standard gamble methods of utility assessment in retinal patients. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86:493–6. CrossRef
- Tengs TO, Wallace A. A thousand health-related quality-of-life estimates. Med Care. 2000;38:583–637. CrossRef
- Fryback DG, Dunham NC, Palta M, Hanmer J, Buechner J, Cherepanov D, et al. US norms for six generic health-related quality-of-life indexes from the National Health Measurement study. Med Care. 2007;45:1162–70. CrossRef
- Garster NC, Palta M, Sweitzer NK, Kaplan RM, Fryback DG. Measuring health-related quality of life in population-based studies of coronary heart disease: comparing six generic indexes and a disease-specific proxy score. Qual Life Res. 2009;18:1239–47. CrossRef
- Brazier J. Valuing health states for use in cost-effectiveness analysis. Pharmacoeconomics. 2008;26:769–79. CrossRef
- Lloyd A, Nafees B, Gavriel S, Rousculp MD, Boye KS, Ahmad A. Health utility values associated with diabetic retinopathy. Diabet Med. 2008;25:618–24. CrossRef
- Czoski-Murray C, Carlton J, Brazier J, Young T, Papo NL, Kang HK. Valuing condition-specific health states using simulation contact lenses. Value Health. 2009;12:793–9. CrossRef
- Brown GC. Vision and quality-of-life. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1999;97:473–511.
- Lundström M, Wendel E. Duration of self assessed benefit of cataract extraction: a long term study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2005;89:1017–20. CrossRef
- Cost-effectiveness of cataract surgery in Japan
Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 55, Issue 4 , pp 333-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Cataract surgery
- Time tradeoff
- Industry Sectors