Treatment of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy by intravitreal injection of bevacizumab
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To evaluate the efficacy of intravitreal bevacizumab (IVB) in eyes with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV).
Seventeen eyes of 16 patients with either subfoveal or juxtafoveal PCV were treated with IVB. As the initial treatment, ten eyes were treated with a single injection of bevacizumab and seven were treated with three monthly injections. Additional IVB injections were performed in 15 eyes when either a recurrent or residual exudative change was seen. Follow-up after initiation of IVB ranged from 12 to 30 months (mean, 20.7 ± 5.7 months).
The mean foveal thickness before IVB (492 ± 205 μm) decreased to 384 ± 181 μm at 3 months (P = 0.0008), and with additional IVB for recurrent exudative changes, the foveal thickness remained significantly reduced at 12 months (392 ± 203 μm, P = 0.0270). Mean visual acuity at baseline (0.54 ± 0.38 in logMAR) somewhat improved to 0.45 ± 0.32 at 3 months (P = 0.156). However, the improvement in visual acuity then subsided, and returned to the pretreatment value at 12 months (0.54 ± 0.39).
In eyes with PCV, IVB can reduce the exudative change and can maintain visual function for at least 1 year.
- Kvanta A, Algvere PV, Berglin L, Seregard S. Subfoveal fibrovascular membranes in age-related macular degeneration express vascular endothelial growth factor. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1996;37:1929–1934.
- Ciulla TA, Rosenfeld PJ. Antivascular endothelial growth factor therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2009;20:158–165. CrossRef
- Avery RL, Pieramici DJ, Rabena MD, Castellarin AA, Nasir MA, Giust MJ. Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) for neovascular agerelated macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 2006;113:363–372. CrossRef
- Kleiner RC, Brucker AJ, Johnston RL. The posterior uveal bleeding syndrome. Retina 1990;10:9–17. CrossRef
- Stern RM, Zakov ZN, Zegarra H, Gutman FA. Multiple recurrent serosanguineous retinal pigment epithelial detachments in black women. Am J Ophthalmol 1985;100:560–569.
- Yannuzzi LA, Sorenson J, Spaide RF, Lipson B. Idiopathic polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (IPCV). Retina 1990;10:1–8. CrossRef
- Maruko I, Iida T, Saito M, Nagayama D, Saito K. Clinical characteristics of exudative age-related macular degeneration in Japanese patients. Am J Ophthalmol 2007;144:15–22. CrossRef
- Ciardella AP, Donsoff IM, Huang SJ, Costa DL, Yannuzzi LA. Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Surv Ophthalmol 2004;49:25–37. CrossRef
- Wells JA, Murthy R, Chibber R, et al. Levels of vascular endothelial growth factor are elevated in the vitreous of patients with subretinal neovascularisation. Br J Ophthalmol 1996;80:363–366. CrossRef
- Tong JP, Chan WM, Liu DT, et al. Aqueous humor levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and pigment epithelium-derived factor in polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy and choroidal neovascularization. Am J Ophthalmol 2006;141:456–462. CrossRef
- Matsuoka M, Ogata N, Otsuji T, Nishimura T, Takahashi K, Matsumura M. Expression of pigment epithelium derived factor and vascular endothelial growth factor in choroidal neovascular membranes and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88:809–815. CrossRef
- Ghajarnia M, Kurup S, Eller A. The therapeutic effects of intravitreal bevacizumab in a patient with recalcitrant idiopathic polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Semin Ophthalmol 2007;22:127–131. CrossRef
- Lai TY, Chan WM, Liu DT, Luk FO, Lam DS. Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) with or without photodynamic therapy for the treatment of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Br J Ophthalmol 2008;92:661–666. CrossRef
- Gomi F, Sawa M, Sakaguchi H, et al. Efficacy of intravitreal bevacizumab for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Br J Ophthalmol 2008;92:70–73. CrossRef
- Song JH, Byeon SH, Lee SC, Koh HJ, Kwon OW. Short-term safety and efficacy of a single intravitreal bevacizumab injection for the management of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Ophthalmologica 2009;223:85–92. CrossRef
- Pai SA, Shetty R. Sequential therapy with intravitreal bevacizumab and photodynamic therapy for idiopathic polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Acta Ophthalmol (in press).
- Lee SY, Kim JG, Joe SG, Chung H, Yoon YH. The therapeutic effects of bevacizumab in patients with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Korean J Ophthalmol 2008;22:92–99. CrossRef
- Zuo C, Wen F, Li J, Liu Y, Li M. Transitions of multifocal electroretinography following combined intravitreal bevacizumab and photodynamic therapy for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Doc Ophthalmol 2009;119:29–36. CrossRef
- Cho M, Barbazetto IA, Freund KB. Refractory neovascular age-related macular degeneration secondary to polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2009;148:70–78. CrossRef
- Sho K, Takahashi K, Yamada H, et al. Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: incidence, demographic features, and clinical characteristics. Arch Ophthalmol 2003;121:1392–1396. CrossRef
- Nishijima K, Takahashi M, Akita J, et al. Laser photocoagulation of indocyanine green angiographically identified feeder vessels to idiopathic polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2004;137:770–773.
- Yuzawa M, Mori R, Haruyama M. A study of laser photocoagulation for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2003;47:379–384. CrossRef
- Chan WM, Lam DS, Lai TY, et al. Photodynamic therapy with verteporfin for symptomatic polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: one-year results of a prospective case series. Ophthalmology 2004;111:1576–1584. CrossRef
- Otani A, Sasahara M, Yodoi Y, et al. Indocyanine green angiography: guided photodynamic therapy for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2007;144:7–14. CrossRef
- Gomi F, Ohji M, Sayanagi K, et al. One-year outcomes of photodynamic therapy in age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in Japanese patients. Ophthalmology 2008;115:141–146. CrossRef
- Kurashige Y, Otani A, Sasahara M, et al. Two-year results of photodynamic therapy for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2008;146:513–519. CrossRef
- Akaza E, Mori R, Yuzawa M. Long-term results of photodynamic therapy of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Retina 2008;28:717–722. CrossRef
- Wakabayashi T, Gomi F, Sawa M, Tsujikawa M, Tano Y. Marked vascular changes of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy after photodynamic therapy. Br J Ophthalmol 2008;92:936–940. CrossRef
- Reche-Frutos J, Calvo-Gonzalez C, Donate-Lopez J, Garcia-Feijoo J, Leila M, Garcia-Sanchez J. Short-term anatomic effect of ranibizumab for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Eur J Ophthalmol 2008;18:645–648.
- Rosenfeld PJ, Brown DM, Heier JS, et al. Ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1419–1431. CrossRef
- Brown DM, Kaiser PK, Michels M, et al. Ranibizumab versus verteporfin for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1432–1444. CrossRef
- Regillo CD, Brown DM, Abraham P, et al. Randomized, double-masked, sham-controlled trial of ranibizumab for neovascular agerelated macular degeneration: PIER Study year 1. Am J Ophthalmol 2008;145:239–248. CrossRef
- Lalwani GA, Rosenfeld PJ, Fung AE, et al. A variable-dosing regimen with intravitreal ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: year 2 of the PrONTO study. Am J Ophthalmol 2009;148:43–58. CrossRef
- Hirami Y, Tsujikawa A, Otani A, et al. Hemorrhagic complications after photodynamic therapy for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Retina 2007;27:335–341. CrossRef
- Tsujikawa A, Sasahara M, Otani A, et al. Pigment epithelial detachment in polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2007;143:102–111. CrossRef
- Peng CH, Cheng CK, Chiou SH. Retinal pigment epithelium tear after intravitreal bevacizumab injection for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Eye 2009;23:2126–2129. CrossRef
- Treatment of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy by intravitreal injection of bevacizumab
Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 54, Issue 4 , pp 310-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- age-related macular degeneration
- polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
- 2. Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Shogoin-Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8507, Japan