Massive Macular Hard Exudates Associated with Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To report four cases of branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) with the complication of serous retinal detachment (SRD).
We retrospectively studied four eyes of four patients with macular edema and macular hard exudates associated with midperipheral BRVO. Visual acuity, ophthalmoscopy, fluorescein angiography, and optical coherence tomography findings were evaluated. Three of the four eyes underwent laser photocoagulation in the BRVO area 1 month after the initial visit.
Macular edema consisted of SRD without cystoid macular edema in all eyes. Late-phase fluorescein angiography showed extensive dye leakage in the BRVO area. When SRD was resolved 4 months after the initial examination, hard exudates had increased in the macular area. Although macular hard exudates decreased 1 year after the initial examination, visual acuity remained under 20/20 because of macular atrophy.
SRD is one type of macular edema observed in BRVO. In macula-spared midperipheral BRVO, the SRD originates from a vascular leaking area, and there is a high risk that massive macular hard exudates will develop, which may affect visual recovery. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2005;49:527–529© Japanese Ophthalmological Society 2005
- Takahashi, K, Kishi, S (2004) Serous macular detachment associated with midperipheral branch retinal vein occlusion. Retina 24: pp. 299-301
- Finkelstein, D, Patz, A (1988) Distant effect of peripheral branch retinal vein occlusion on the macula. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 86: pp. 380-388
- Otani, T, Kishi, S, Maruyama, Y (1999) Patterns of diabetic macular edema with optical coherence tomography. Am J Ophthalmol 127: pp. 688-693 CrossRef
- Lerche, RC, Schaudig, U, Scholz, F, Walter, A, Richard, G (2001) Structural changes of the retina in retinal vein occlusion-imaging and quantification with optical coherence tomography. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 32: pp. 272-280
- Spaide, RF, Lee, JK, Klancnik, JM, Gross, NE (2003) Optical coherence tomography of branch retinal vein occlusion. Retina 23: pp. 343-347
- Massive Macular Hard Exudates Associated with Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion
Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 49, Issue 6 , pp 527-529
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- branch retinal vein occlusion
- macular hard exudates
- optical coherence tomography
- serous retinal detachment
- Industry Sectors