Short-term outcomes of cetuximab combined with standard chemotherapy as non-first line setting for patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a report of 6 cases
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cetuximab combined with chemotherapy has been used to treat non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in recent years, most of them were first line setting. This study was to summarize our experiences in treating NSCLC patients with cetuximab in the non-first line setting.
From October 1st 2006 to December 31st 2009, six NSCLC patients were treated with cetuximab combined standard chemotherapy as non-first line setting in Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, China. The short-term efficacies and safeties were analyzed.
1. A total of 18 cycles of cetuximab treatment, with a median of two cycles in the whole group. 2. There were 6 patients treated as non-first line setting, overall response rate (ORR) was 33.3% (2/6), disease control rate (DCR) was 33.3% (2/6), median time to progression (TTP) was 3.5 (3–4) months, and median OS was 18 (4–28) months. 3. There were 50% (3/6) patients occurred acne-like rash within three weeks, their ORR was 66.7% (2/3), and DCR was 66.7% (2/3), however, both of ORR and DCR in patients who didn’t occurred acnelike rash were 0% (0/3), the differences of ORR, DCR between two groups were insignificant different (P = 0.143). 4. There was no treatment-associated death and no cetuximab-associated discontinuation. The incidence of acne-like rash was 50% occurred within three weeks, there were two patients suffered side effects associated with chemotherapy.
The data of cetuximab application in non-first line setting for patients with NSCLC were rare, and the addition of cetuximab in those population was safe.
- Rosell R, Moran T, Queralt C, et al. Screening for epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2009, 361: 958–967. CrossRef
- Mok TS, Wu YL, Thongprasert S, et al. Gefitinib or carboplatinpaclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med, 2009, 361: 947–957. CrossRef
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues Pereira J, Ciuleanu T, et al. Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2005, 353: 123–132. CrossRef
- Chang A, Parikh P, Thongprasert S, et al. Gefitinib (IRESSA) in patients of Asian origin with refractory advanced non-small cell lung cancer: subset analysis from the ISEL study. J Thorac Oncol, 2006, 1: 847–855. CrossRef
- Cappuzzo, Ciuleanu T, Stelmakh L, et al. Erlotinib as maintenance treatment in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. ECCO ESMO, 2009.
- Hida T, Okamoto I, Kashii T, et al. Randomized phase III study of platinum-doublet chemotherapy followed by gefitinib versus continued platinum-doublet chemotherapy in patients (pts) with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): results of West Japan Thoracic Oncology Group trial (WJTOG). J Clin Oncol, 2008, 26: 427s(LBA8012).
- Pirker R, Pereira JR, Szczesna A, et al. Cetuximab plus chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (FLEX): an open-label randomised phase III trial. Lancet, 2009, 373: 1525–1531. CrossRef
- Socinski MA, Saleh MN, Trent DF, et al. A randomized, phase II trial of two dose schedules of carboplatin/paclitaxel/cetuximab in stage IIIB/IV non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Ann Oncol, 2009, 20: 1068–1073. CrossRef
- Belani CP, Schreeder MT, Steis RG, et al. Cetuximab in combination with carboplatin and docetaxel for patients with metastatic or advanced-stage nonsmall cell lung cancer: a multicenter phase 2 study. Cancer, 2008, 113: 2512–2517. CrossRef
- Butts CA, Bodkin D, Middleman EL, et al. Randomized phase II study of gemcitabine plus cisplatin or carboplatin [corrected], with or without cetuximab, as first-line therapy for patients with advanced or metastatic non small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2007, 25: 5777–5784. CrossRef
- Robert F, Blumenschein G, Herbst RS, et al. Phase I/IIa study of cetuximab with gemcitabine plus carboplatin in patients with chemotherapy-naive advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2005, 23: 9089–9096. CrossRef
- Thienelt CD, Bunn PA Jr, Hanna N, et al. Multicenter phase I/II study of cetuximab with paclitaxel and carboplatin in untreated patients with stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2005, 23: 8786–8793. CrossRef
- Lynch TJ, Patel T, Dreisbach L, et al. Cetuximab and first-line taxane/carboplatin chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results of the randomized multicenter phase III trial BMS099. J Clin Oncol, 2010, 28: 911–917. CrossRef
- Thatcher N, Linchy TJ, Butts CA, et al. Cetuximab plus platinum-based chemotherapy as 1st-line treatment in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a meta-analysis of randomized phase II/III trails. WCLC 2009, oral presentation (abstract A3.7).
- Lin H, Jiang J, Liang X, et al. Chemotherapy with cetuximab or chemotherapy alone for untreated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lung Cancer, 2010 Feb 9 [Epub ahead of print].
- Xia LP, Rong YM, Guo GF, et al. The summary of efficacy of cetuximab combination with chemotherapy in NSCLC first-line setting: based on publication. Chinese-German J Clin Oncol, 2010, 9: 137–141. CrossRef
- Kim ES, Mauer AM, William WN Jr, et al. A phase 2 study of cetuximab in combination with docetaxel in chemotherapy-refractory/resistant patients with advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Cancer, 2009, 115: 1713–1722. CrossRef
- Hanna N, Lilenbaum R, Ansari R, et al. Phase II trial of cetuximab in patients with previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2006, 24: 5253–5258. CrossRef
- Scagliotti GV, Parikh P, von Pawel J, et al. Phase III study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2008, 26: 3543–3551. CrossRef
- Sandler A, Gray R, Perry MC, et al. Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2006, 355: 2542–2550. CrossRef
- Reck M, von Pawel J, Zatloukal P, et al. Phase III trial of cisplatin plus gemcitabine with either placebo or bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: AVAil. J Clin Oncol, 2009, 27: 1227–1234. CrossRef
- Shepherd FA, Dancey J, Ramlau R, et al. Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with nonsmall-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 2000, 18: 2095–2103.
- Hanna N, Shepherd FA, Fossella FV, et al. Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 2004, 22: 1589–1597. CrossRef
- Smit EF, Burgers SA, Biesma B, et al. Randomized phase II and pharmacogenetic study of pemetrexed compared with pemetrexed plus carboplatin in pretreated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2009, 27: 2038–2045. CrossRef
- Zhang YF, Chen ZW, Lu S. Pemetrexed monotherapy versus pemetrexed plus platinum combination as second-line treatment for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Chin Med J (Engl), 2009, 122: 2472–2476.
- Short-term outcomes of cetuximab combined with standard chemotherapy as non-first line setting for patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a report of 6 cases
The Chinese-German Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume 9, Issue 9 , pp 502-506
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
- non-first line
- Author Affiliations
- 1. State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Guangzhou, 510060, China
- 2. VIP Region, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, 510060, China
- 3. Department of Medical Oncology, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, 510060, China