Efficacy of cetuximab combination with chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer first-line setting: the summary based on publications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The combination of cetuximab with standard chemotherapy was not widely studied though it was recommended by NCCN 2009 to apply in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) first-line setting. The aim of this study was to summary the efficacy and safety profiles of all the NSCLC patients available in openly published papers treated with above mentioned regimens.
The PubMed database was used to search all the papers on NSCLC associated with cetuximab treatment, and only the clinical trails applied cetuximab combined with doublets cytotoxic chemotherapy in first-line setting till to 30 November 2009 were collected. And the medians and their 95% CI of objective response rate (ORR), progression free survival (PFS), overall survival (OS), and the common adverse events were calculated.
(1) Eight papers including 1032 patients were collected, and all cases were at advanced stage. (2) The ratio of male and female patients was 1.6, 50.1% patients were adenocarcinoma and 28.2% patients were squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), 90.0% patients were PS = 0–1, and 78.2% patients were white ethnic. (3) The disease control rate (DCR), ORR, PFS, and OS were 65.2% (95% CI: 60.7%–69.7%), 33.2% (95% CI: 30.3%–36.1%), 5.0 months (95% CI: 4.7–5.3) and 10.9 months (95% CI: 9.6–12.2), respectively.
This is the first study to summarize the efficacy and safety profiles of cetuximab combined with chemotherapy in NSCLC first-line setting based on all available patients. The addition of cetuximab caused promising prognosis and acceptable side effects excepting higher incidence of neutropenia, and febrile neutropenia.
- Rosell R, Moran T, Queralt C, et al. Screening for epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2009, 361: 958–967. CrossRef
- Mok TS, Wu YL, Thongprasert S, et al. Gefitnib or carboplatin-paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med, 2009, 361: 947–957. CrossRef
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues Pereira J, Ciuleanu T, et al. Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2005, 353: 123–132. CrossRef
- Chang A, Parikh P, Thongprasert S, et al. Gefitinib (IRESSA) in patients of Asian origin with refractory advanced non-small cell lung cancer: subset analysis from the ISEL study. J Thorac Oncol, 2006, 1: 847–855. CrossRef
- Cappuzzo F, Ciuleanu T, Stelmah L, et al. SATURN: a double-blind, randomized, phase III study of maintenance erlotinib versus placebo following non-progression with 1st-line platinum-based chemotherapy in patients with advanced NSCLC. ECCO ESMO, 2009.
- Hida T, Okamoto I, Kashii T, et al. Randomized phase III study of platinum-doublet chemotherapy followed by gefitinib versus continued platinum-doublet chemotherapy in patients (pts) with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): results of West Japan Thoracic Oncology Group trial (WJTOG). J Clin Oncol, 2008, 26: 427s.
- Fan Z, Baselga J, Masui H, et al. Antitumor effect of anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibodies plus cis-diamminedichloroplatinum on well established A431 cell xenografts. Cancer Res, 1993, 53: 4637–4642.
- Fan Z, Lu Y, Wu X, et al. Antibody-induced epidermal growth factor receptor dimerization mediates inhibition of autocrine proliferation of A431 squamous carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem, 1994, 269: 27595–27602.
- Pirker R, Pereira JR, Szczesna A, et al. Cetuximab plus chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (FLEX): an open-label randomised phase III trial. Lancet, 2009, 373: 1525–1531. CrossRef
- Socinski MA, Saleh MN, Trent DF, et al. A randomized, phase II trial of two dose schedules of carboplatin/paclitaxel/cetuximab in stage IIIB/IV non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Ann Oncol, 2009, 20: 1068–1073. CrossRef
- Borghaei H, Langer CJ, Millenson M, et al. Phase II study of paclitaxel, carboplatin, and cetuximab as first line treatment, for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): results of OPN-017. J Thorac Oncol, 2008, 3: 1286–1292. CrossRef
- Belani CP, Schreeder MT, Steis RG, et al. Cetuximab in combination with carboplatin and docetaxel for patients with metastatic or advanced-stage nonsmall cell lung cancer: a multicenter phase 2 study. Cancer, 2008, 113: 2512–2517. CrossRef
- Butts CA, Bodkin D, Middleman EL, et al. Randomized phase II study of gemcitabine plus cisplatin or carboplatin [corrected], with or without cetuximab, as first-line therapy for patients with advanced or metastatic non small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2007, 25: 5777–5784. CrossRef
- Rosell R, Robinet G, Szczesna A, et al. Randomized phase II study of cetuximab plus cisplatin/vinorelbine compared with cisplatin/vinorelbine alone as first-line therapy in EGFR-expressing advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol, 2008, 19: 362–369. CrossRef
- Robert F, Blumenschein G, Herbst RS, et al. Phase I/IIa study of cetuximab with gemcitabine plus carboplatin in patients with chemotherapy-naive advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Oncol, 2005, 23: 9089–9096. CrossRef
- Thienelt CD, Bunn PA Jr, Hanna N, et al. Multicenter phase I/II study of cetuximab with paclitaxel and carboplatin in untreated patients with stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2005, 23: 8786–8793. CrossRef
- Lynch TJ, Patel T, Dreisbach L, et al. Overall survival (OS) results from the phase III trial BMS 099: cetuximab + taxane/carboplatin as 1st-line treatment for advanced NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol, 2008, 3: S305. CrossRef
- Xia LP, Guo GF, Qiu HJ, et al. Efficacy and safety profiles of cetuximab in Chinese patients with colorectal cancer. Chinese-German J Clin Oncol, 2009, 8: 526–530. CrossRef
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, et al. Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 2002, 346: 92–98. CrossRef
- Stinchcombe TE, Bradford DS, Hensing TA, et al. A multicenter phase II trial of carboplatin and cetuximab for treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Invest, 2009, Nov 16 [Epub ahead of print].
- Lilenbaum R, Wang X, Gu L, et al. Randomized phase II trial of docetaxel plus cetuximab or docetaxel plus bortezomib in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer and a performance status of 2: CALGB 30402. J Clin Oncol, 2009, 27: 4487–4491. CrossRef
- Jalal S, Waterhouse D, Edelman MJ, et al. Pemetrexed plus cetuximab in patients with recurrent non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a phase I/II study from the Hoosier Oncology Group. J Thorac Oncol, 2009, 4: 1420–1424. CrossRef
- Gridelli C, Morabito A, Gebbia V, et al. Cetuximab and gemcitabine in elderly or adult PS2 patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the cetuximab in advanced lung cancer (CALC1-E and CALC1-PS2) randomized phase II trials. Lung Cancer, 2010, 67: 86–92. CrossRef
- Ettinger DS. Emerging profile of cetuximab in non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 2009, Sep 25 [Epub ahead of print].
- Langer CJ. Will FLEX allow us flexibility in the therapy of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer? Insights from the 2008 American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting. Clin Lung Cancer, 2008, 9: 249–251. CrossRef
- Kelly K, Pan Z, Murphy J, et al. A phase I trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin in untreated patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 1997, 3: 1117–1123.
- Kelly K, Crowley J, Bunn PA Jr, et al. Randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group trial. J Clin Oncol, 2001, 19: 3210–3218.
- Lilenbaum RC, Herndon JE 2nd, List MA, et al. Single-agent versus combination chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the cancer and leukemia group B (study 9730). J Clin Oncol, 2005, 23: 190–196. CrossRef
- Thatcher N, Linchy TJ, Butts CA, et al. Cetuximab plus platinumbased chemotherapy as 1st-line treatment in patients with non-small cell lung cancer(NSCLC): a meta-analysis of randomized phase II/III trails. WCLC 2009, oral presentation (abstract A3.7).
- Fojo T, Grady C. How much is life worth: cetuximab, non-small cell lung cancer, and the $440 billion question. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2009, 101: 1044–1048. CrossRef
- Efficacy of cetuximab combination with chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer first-line setting: the summary based on publications
The Chinese-German Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 137-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
- first-line setting
- adverse event
- Author Affiliations
- 1. State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Guangzhou, 510060, China
- 2. VIP Region, Sun Yat-sen Universty Cancer Center, Guangzhou, 510060, China