The effects of oral xylitol administration on bone density in rat femur
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To examine the effects of oral xylitol administration on rat femur bone density, 36 four-week-old male Wistar rats divided into three groups were fed CE-2 diet (control, n = 12) alone or supplemented with 10% (n = 12) or 20% (n = 12) dietary xylitol for 40 days. Biochemical, morphological, and histological analyses were performed. The 10% and 20% xylitol groups showed higher levels of both serum Ca and alkaline phosphatase activity and lower levels of serum tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase than the control group. Although no significant differences in the three-dimensional bone structure or trabecular bone structure of the femur were observed, both xylitol groups showed significantly higher bone density than the control group. Compared to the control group, the 10% and 20% xylitol groups showed an increase in trabeculae. Thus, oral administration of xylitol appears to affect bone metabolism, leading to increased bone density in rat femur.
- Washuttl J, Reiderer P, Banche E. A qualitative and quantitative study of sugar-alcohols in several foods. J Food Sci 1973;38: 1262–1263. CrossRef
- Hollman S, Touster O. Non-glycolytic pathways of metabolism of glucose. New York: Academic Press; 1964.
- Mäkinenn KK. Biochemical principles of the use of xylitol in medicine and nutrition with special consideration of dental aspects. Experientia Suppl 1978;30:1–160.
- Mählemann H, Regolati B, Marthaler T. The effect on rat fissure caries of xylitol and sorbitol. Helv Odontol Acta 1970;14:48–50.
- Mäkinenn KK. Enzyme dynamics of a cariogenic streptococcus. The effect of xylitol and sorbitol. J Dent Res 1972;51:403–408. CrossRef
- Mäkinenn KK, Scheinin A. The effect of the consumption of various sugars on the activity of plaque and salivary enzymes. Int Dent J 1971;21:331–339.
- Mäkinenn KK, Scheinin A. The effect of various sugar and sugar mixtures on the activity and formation of enzymes of dental plaque and oral fluid. Acta Odontol Scand 1972;30:259–275. CrossRef
- Scheinin A, Mäkinenn KK. The effect of various sugars on the formation and chemical composition of dental plaque. Int Dent J 1971;21:302–321.
- Scheinin A, Mäkinenn KK (eds). Turku sugars studies I-XXI. Acta Odontol Scand 1975;Suppl 70:1–351.
- Loesche WJ, Earnest R, Grossman NS, Corpron R. The effects of chewing gum on the plaque and saliva levels of Streptococcus mutans. J Am Dent Assoc 1984;108:587–591.
- Mäkinen KK, Sderling E, Isokangas PJ, Tenovuo J, Tiekso J. Oral biochemical status and depression of Streptococcus mutans in children during 24- to 36-month use of xylitol chewing gum. Caries Res 1989;23:261–267. CrossRef
- Steinberg LM, Odusola F, Mandel ID. Remineralizing potential, antiplaque and antigingivitis effects of xylitol and sorbitol sweetened chewing gum. Clin Prev Dent 1992;14:31–34.
- Cronin M, Gordon J, Reardon R, Balbo F. Three clinical trials comparing xylitol-and sorbitol-containing chewing gums for their effect on supragingival plaque accumulation. J Clin Dent 1994;5: 106–109.
- Mäkinen KK, Isotupa KP, Mäkinen PL, Sderling E, Song KB, Nam SH, Jeong SH. Six-month polyol chewing-gum programme in kindergarten-age children. A feasibility study focusing on mutans streptococci and dental plaque. Int Dent J 2005;55: 81–88.
- Sato H, Ito H, Murakashi E, Sekino S, Numabe Y. Effects of xylitolcontaining chewing gum on plaque formation and salivary components [in Japanese]. J Jpn Soc Periodontol 2008;50:231–237. CrossRef
- Georgieff M, Moldawer LL, Bistrian BR, Blackbum GL. Xylitol, an energy source for intravenous nutrition after trauma. J Parenter Ent Nutr 1985;9:199–209. CrossRef
- Uhari M, Kontiokari T, Niemelä M. A novel use of xylitol sugar in preventing acute otitis media. Pediatrics 1998;102:879–974. CrossRef
- Mattila P, Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. Increased bone volume and bone mineral content in xylitol-fed aged rats. Gerontology 2001;47:300–305. CrossRef
- Mattila P, Knuuttila M, Kovanen V, Svanberg M. Improved bone biomechanical properties in rats after oral xylitol administration. Calcif Tissue Int 1999;64:340–344. CrossRef
- Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. The effects of dietary xylitol on recalcifying and newly formed cortical long bone in rats. Calcif Tissue Int 1993;53:135–138. CrossRef
- Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. Dietary xylitol prevents ovariectomy induced changes of bone inorganic fraction in rats. Bone Miner 1994;26:81–88. CrossRef
- Mattila P, Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. Diminished bone resorption in rats after oral xylitol administration. A dose-response study. Calcif Tissue 1995;56:232–235.
- Svanberg M, Mattila P, Knuuttila M. Dietary xylitol retards the ovariectomy-induced increase of bone turnover in rats. Calcif Tissue Int 1997;60:462–466. CrossRef
- Hildebrand T, Ruegsegger P. A new method for the model-independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images. J Microsc 1997;185:67–75. CrossRef
- Parfitt AM, Drezner MK, Glorieux FH, Kanis JA, Malluche H, Meunier PJ, Ott SM, Recker RR. Bone histomorphometry. Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee. J Bone Miner Res 1987;2:595–610. CrossRef
- Hahn M, Vogel M, Pompesius-Kempa M, Delling G. Trabecular bone pattern factor. A new parameter for simple quantification of bone microarchitecture. Bone 1992;13:327–330. CrossRef
- Makkinen KK, Suzuki A, Fukuda M. Xylitol from A to Z [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Japan Finland Society for Caries Prevention; 1997.
- Mäkinen KK, Scheinin A. Turku sugar studies, VI. The administration of the trial and the control of the dietary regimen. Acta Odontol Scand 1975;33 Suppl 70:105–127.
- Mattila P, Svanberg M, Mäkinenn KK, Knuuttila M. Dietary xylitol, sorbitol and d-mannitol but not erythritol retard bone resorption in rats. J Nutr 1996;126:1865–1870.
- Nishizawa Y. Bone-metabolism marker. In: Nishizawa Y, editor. Significance of measurement of bone-metabolism marker [in Japanese]. Osaka: Iyaku (Medicine & Drug) Journal Press; 2001. p. 16–27.
- Hämäläinen MM, Mäkinenn KK, Parviainen MT, Koskinen T. Peroral xylitol increases intestinal calcium absorption in the rat independently of vitamin D action. Miner Electrol Metab 1985; 11:178–181.
- Knuuttila M, Svanberg M, Hämäläinen MM. Alterations in rat bone composition related to polyol supplementation of the diet. Bone Miner 1989;6:25–31. CrossRef
- Hämäläinen MM, Knuuttila M, Svanberg M, Koskinen T. Comparison of the effect of glucose, lactose and xylitol on bone recalcification in calcium-deficient rats. Bone 1990;11:429–438. CrossRef
- Matsumoto T. Molecular biology of bone and osteoporosis [in Japanese]. Tokyo: Medical Review Press; 2001.
- Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. Dietary xylitol retards bone resorption in rats. Miner Electrolyte Metab 1994;20:153–157.
- Minkin C. Bone acid phosphatase. Tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase as a marker of osteoclast function. Calcif Tissue Int 1982;34: 285–290. CrossRef
- Ito M. Analysis of trabecular microstructure using micro-computed tomography [in Japanese]. Nippon Rinsho 1998;56:126–132.
- Kanri Y, Shimazu Y, Aoba T. Use of microfocus x-ray computer tomography for 3D-image construction and quantitative morphoanalysis. J Oral Biosci 2004;46:67–73. CrossRef
- Ferretti JL. Perspectives of pQCT technology associated to biomechanical studies in skeletal research employing rat models. Bone 1995;17:145–154. CrossRef
- Oku T, Tanabe K, Watanabe Y, Ono H, Naruse M, Nakamura S. Effects of non-oligosaccharides with different properties on Ca and Mg metabolism in rats [in Japanese]. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 2007;60:233–240. CrossRef
- Hirama Y, Morohashi T, Sano T, Maki K, Ohta A, Sakai N, Yamada S, Sara R. Fructo-oligosaccharides prevent disorders of the femoral neck following gastrectomy in growing rats. J Bone Miner Metab 2003;21:294–298. CrossRef
- The effects of oral xylitol administration on bone density in rat femur
Volume 99, Issue 1 , pp 28-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Oral administration
- Bone density
- Trabecular bone
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Periodontology, The Nippon Dental University School of Life Dentistry at Tokyo, 1-9-20 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 102-8159, Japan
- 2. Section of Developmental and Regenerative Dentistry, The Nippon Dental University School of Life Dentistry at Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Research Center for Odontology, The Nippon Dental University School of Life Dentistry at Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan