Constant mean curvature surfaces in warped product manifolds
- Simon Brendle
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider surfaces with constant mean curvature in certain warped product manifolds. We show that any such surface is umbilic, provided that the warping factor satisfies certain structure conditions. This theorem can be viewed as a generalization of the classical Alexandrov theorem in Euclidean space. In particular, our results apply to the deSitter-Schwarzschild and Reissner-Nordstrom manifolds.
- Alexandrov, A. D. (1956) Uniqueness theorems for surfaces in the large I. Vestn. Leningr. Univ. 11: pp. 5-17
- Barbosa, J. L., Carmo, M. (1984) Stability of hypersurfaces with constant mean curvature. Math. Z. 185: pp. 339-353 CrossRef
- Bartnik, R. (1997) Energy in general relativity. Tsing Hua Lectures on Geometry and Analysis (Hsinchu 1990–1991). International Press, Cambridge, pp. 5-27
- Besse, A. (2008) Einstein Manifolds. Springer, Berlin
- H. Bray, The Penrose Inequality in General Relativity and Volume Comparison Theorems Involving Scalar Curvature, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1997.
- Bray, H., Morgan, F. (2002) An isoperimetric comparison theorem for Schwarzschild space and other manifolds. Proc. Am. Math. Soc. 130: pp. 1467-1472 CrossRef
- S. Brendle and M. Eichmair, Isoperimetric and Weingarten surfaces in the Schwarzschild manifold, J. Differ. Geom., to appear.
- Christodoulou, D., Yau, S. T. (1986) Some remarks on the quasi-local mass. Mathematics and General Relativity. Am. Math. Soc., Providence, pp. 9-14 CrossRef
- Corvino, J. (2000) Scalar curvature deformation and a gluing construction for the Einstein constraint equations. Commun. Math. Phys. 214: pp. 137-189 CrossRef
- Corvino, J., Gerek, A., Greenberg, M., Krummel, B. (2007) On isoperimetric surfaces in general relativity. Pac. J. Math. 231: pp. 63-84 CrossRef
- M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Large isoperimetric surfaces in initial data sets, J. Differ. Geom., to appear.
- Eichmair, M., Metzger, J. (2012) On large volume preserving stable CMC surfaces in initial data sets. J. Differ. Geom. 91: pp. 81-102
- M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Unique isoperimetric foliations of asymptotically flat manifolds in all dimensions, arXiv:1204.6065.
- Greene, R., Wu, H. (1973) On the subharmonicity and plurisubharmonicity of geodesically convex functions. Indiana Univ. Math. J. 22: pp. 641-653 CrossRef
- Greene, R., Wu, H. (1979) C ∞ approximations of convex, subharmonic, and plurisubharmonic functions. Ann. Sci. Éc. Norm. Super. 12: pp. 47-84
- Heintze, E., Karcher, H. (1978) A general comparison theorem with applications to volume estimates for submanifolds. Ann. Sci. Éc. Norm. Super. 11: pp. 451-470
- Hijazi, O., Montiel, S., Roldan, A. (2003) Dirac operators on hypersurfaces of manifolds with negative scalar curvature. Ann. Glob. Anal. Geom. 23: pp. 247-264 CrossRef
- Huisken, G., Ilmanen, T. (2001) The inverse mean curvature flow and the Riemannian Penrose inequality. J. Differ. Geom. 59: pp. 353-437
- Huisken, G., Yau, S. T. (1996) Definition of center of mass for isolated physical systems and unique foliations by stable spheres with constant mean curvature. Invent. Math. 124: pp. 281-311 CrossRef
- Montiel, S. (1999) Unicity of constant mean curvature hypersurfaces in some Riemannian manifolds. Indiana Univ. Math. J. 48: pp. 711-748 CrossRef
- Montiel, S., Ros, A. Compact hypersurfaces: the Alexandrov theorem for higher order mean curvatures. In: Blaine Lawson, H., Tenenblat, K. eds. (1991) Differential Geometry. Longman, Harlow, pp. 279-296
- Neves, A., Tian, G. (2009) Existence and uniqueness of constant mean curvature foliation of asymptotically hyperbolic 3-manifolds. Geom. Funct. Anal. 19: pp. 910-942 CrossRef
- Pacard, F., Xu, X. (2008) Constant mean curvature spheres in Riemannian manifolds. Manuscr. Math. 128: pp. 275-295 CrossRef
- Petersen, P. (2006) Riemannian Geometry. Springer, New York
- Qing, J., Tian, G. (2007) On the uniqueness of the foliation of spheres of constant mean curvature in asymptotically flat 3-manifolds. J. Am. Math. Soc. 20: pp. 1091-1110 CrossRef
- M. Reiris, Static solutions from the point of view of comparison geometry, preprint (2011).
- Rigger, R. (2004) The foliation of asymptotically hyperbolic manifolds by surfaces of constant mean curvature. Manuscr. Math. 113: pp. 403-421 CrossRef
- Constant mean curvature surfaces in warped product manifolds
Publications mathématiques de l'IHÉS
Volume 117, Issue 1 , pp 247-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Simon Brendle (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 94305, USA