Constant mean curvature surfaces in warped product manifolds
- Simon Brendle
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We consider surfaces with constant mean curvature in certain warped product manifolds. We show that any such surface is umbilic, provided that the warping factor satisfies certain structure conditions. This theorem can be viewed as a generalization of the classical Alexandrov theorem in Euclidean space. In particular, our results apply to the deSitter-Schwarzschild and Reissner-Nordstrom manifolds.
- A. D. Alexandrov, Uniqueness theorems for surfaces in the large I, Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 11 (1956), 5–17.
- J. L. Barbosa and M. do Carmo, Stability of hypersurfaces with constant mean curvature, Math. Z., 185 (1984), 339–353. CrossRef
- R. Bartnik, Energy in general relativity, in Tsing Hua Lectures on Geometry and Analysis (Hsinchu 1990–1991), pp. 5–27, International Press, Cambridge, 1997.
- A. Besse, Einstein Manifolds, Classics in Mathematics, Springer, Berlin, 2008.
- H. Bray, The Penrose Inequality in General Relativity and Volume Comparison Theorems Involving Scalar Curvature, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1997.
- H. Bray and F. Morgan, An isoperimetric comparison theorem for Schwarzschild space and other manifolds, Proc. Am. Math. Soc., 130 (2002), 1467–1472. CrossRef
- S. Brendle and M. Eichmair, Isoperimetric and Weingarten surfaces in the Schwarzschild manifold, J. Differ. Geom., to appear.
- D. Christodoulou and S. T. Yau, Some remarks on the quasi-local mass, in Mathematics and General Relativity, Santa Cruz, 1986. Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 71, pp. 9–14, Am. Math. Soc., Providence, 1986. CrossRef
- J. Corvino, Scalar curvature deformation and a gluing construction for the Einstein constraint equations, Commun. Math. Phys., 214 (2000), 137–189. CrossRef
- J. Corvino, A. Gerek, M. Greenberg, and B. Krummel, On isoperimetric surfaces in general relativity, Pac. J. Math., 231 (2007), 63–84. CrossRef
- M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Large isoperimetric surfaces in initial data sets, J. Differ. Geom., to appear.
- M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, On large volume preserving stable CMC surfaces in initial data sets, J. Differ. Geom., 91 (2012), 81–102.
- M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Unique isoperimetric foliations of asymptotically flat manifolds in all dimensions, arXiv:1204.6065.
- R. Greene and H. Wu, On the subharmonicity and plurisubharmonicity of geodesically convex functions, Indiana Univ. Math. J., 22 (1973), 641–653. CrossRef
- R. Greene and H. Wu, C ∞ approximations of convex, subharmonic, and plurisubharmonic functions, Ann. Sci. Éc. Norm. Super., 12 (1979), 47–84.
- E. Heintze and H. Karcher, A general comparison theorem with applications to volume estimates for submanifolds, Ann. Sci. Éc. Norm. Super., 11 (1978), 451–470.
- O. Hijazi, S. Montiel, and A. Roldan, Dirac operators on hypersurfaces of manifolds with negative scalar curvature, Ann. Glob. Anal. Geom., 23 (2003), 247–264. CrossRef
- G. Huisken and T. Ilmanen, The inverse mean curvature flow and the Riemannian Penrose inequality, J. Differ. Geom., 59 (2001), 353–437.
- G. Huisken and S. T. Yau, Definition of center of mass for isolated physical systems and unique foliations by stable spheres with constant mean curvature, Invent. Math., 124 (1996), 281–311. CrossRef
- S. Montiel, Unicity of constant mean curvature hypersurfaces in some Riemannian manifolds, Indiana Univ. Math. J., 48 (1999), 711–748. CrossRef
- S. Montiel and A. Ros, Compact hypersurfaces: the Alexandrov theorem for higher order mean curvatures, in H. Blaine Lawson Jr., K. Tenenblat (eds.), Differential Geometry, Pitman Monographs and Surveys in Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 52, pp. 279–296, Longman, Harlow, 1991.
- A. Neves and G. Tian, Existence and uniqueness of constant mean curvature foliation of asymptotically hyperbolic 3-manifolds, Geom. Funct. Anal., 19 (2009), 910–942. CrossRef
- F. Pacard and X. Xu, Constant mean curvature spheres in Riemannian manifolds, Manuscr. Math., 128 (2008), 275–295. CrossRef
- P. Petersen, Riemannian Geometry, 2nd ed., Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 171, Springer, New York, 2006.
- J. Qing and G. Tian, On the uniqueness of the foliation of spheres of constant mean curvature in asymptotically flat 3-manifolds, J. Am. Math. Soc., 20 (2007), 1091–1110. CrossRef
- M. Reiris, Static solutions from the point of view of comparison geometry, preprint (2011).
- R. Rigger, The foliation of asymptotically hyperbolic manifolds by surfaces of constant mean curvature, Manuscr. Math., 113 (2004), 403–421. CrossRef
- Constant mean curvature surfaces in warped product manifolds
Publications mathématiques de l'IHÉS
Volume 117, Issue 1 , pp 247-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Simon Brendle (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 94305, USA