Reconstruction of the rotation center of the hip after oblong cups in revision total hip arthroplasty
- Eduardo García-ReyAffiliated withDepartment Orthopaedics-IDi Paz, Hospital La Paz Email author
- , Ricardo Fernández-FernándezAffiliated withDepartment Orthopaedics-IDi Paz, Hospital La Paz
- , David DuránAffiliated withDepartment Orthopaedics-IDi Paz, Hospital La Paz
- , Rosario MaderoAffiliated withDepartment Biostatistics-IDi Paz, Hospital La Paz
The preoperative bone defect and the reconstruction of the center of rotation of the hip are critical in acetabular revision surgery. Uncemented oblong cups are employed in order to manage these issues. We analyzed the clinical results and rates of revision of two different uncemented oblong cups, the reconstruction of the center of rotation of the hip, as well as the rate of radiological loosening and possible risk factors.
Materials and methods
Forty-five patients (46 hips) underwent acetabular revision surgery using two different uncemented oblong cups. We assessed the clinical results and the survival rate for revision and aseptic loosening. Intraoperative bone loss was classified according to Paprosky, and acetabular reconstruction was assessed according to Ranawat. The mean follow-up was 7.2 years (range 4–11 years).
There were four re-revisions (three due to aseptic loosening); the survival rate for re-revision due to aseptic loosening was 60.1 % at seven years. The mean distance between the center of the femoral head prosthesis and the approximate center of the femoral head improved from 21.5 to 10.2 mm. Thirteen cups showed radiological loosening; the survival rate for radiological loosening at seven years was 40.54 %. A smaller postoperative horizontal distance was correlated with cup loosening.
Although optimal acetabular reconstruction can be achieved by using oblong uncemented cups in revision hip surgery, the clinical and radiological results are not encouraging. Excessive medialization of the cup may increase the rate of loosening.
KeywordsRevision hip arthroplasty Cementless cup Reconstruction Outcome
- Reconstruction of the rotation center of the hip after oblong cups in revision total hip arthroplasty
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 39-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Revision hip arthroplasty
- Cementless cup
- Industry Sectors