Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of etanercept 50 mg once weekly in Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis and comparison with 25 mg etanercept twice weekly
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tumor necrosis factor-α inhibitors have been available in recent years for treating early and established rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Twice-weekly administration of 25 mg etanercept (ETN) has demonstrated efficacy and safety. The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of once-weekly administration of 50 mg ETN (ETN50), and to compare it with that of twice-weekly administration of 25 mg ETN (ETN25).
The ETN50 group comprised 29 patients and the ETN25 group 26. The analysis compared changes from baseline in Disease Activity Score in 28 joints (DAS28)–C reactive protein (CRP) and DAS28–erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) between the ETN50 and ETN25 groups.
Overall, 42.3 % of ETN50 patients achieved DAS28–ESR remission (<2.6), and 76.9 % experienced low disease activity at 24 weeks. Patients in the ETN50 group also experienced more significant improvement in DAS28–ESR at 4 weeks, higher DAS28–ESR remission rates, and lower disease activity rates than ETN25 group patients. No serious adverse events were experienced in the safety analysis set (ETN50 group).
These results suggest that ETN50 can lead to earlier remission and higher remission rates compared with ETN25 in patients with RA.
- Feldmann M, Brennan FM, Maini RN. Role of cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis. Annu Rev Immunol. 1996;14:397–440. CrossRef
- Combe B. Early rheumatoid arthritis: strategies for prevention and management. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2007;21:27–42. CrossRef
- Takeuchi T, Tatsuki Y, Nogami Y, Ishiguro N, Tanaka Y, Yamanaka H, et al. Postmarketing surveillance of the safety profile of infliximab in 5000 Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67:189–94. CrossRef
- Harigai M. Is the combination of etanercept and methotrexate safe as a means of treating rheumatoid arthritis? Method for analysis of survey data from all etanercept-treated cases. Rheumatology. 2008;39:21–6.
- Koike T, Harigai M, Inokuma S, Inoue K, Ishiguro N, Ryu J, et al. Post-marketing surveillance of the safety and effectiveness of etanercept in Japan. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:898–906. CrossRef
- Koike T, Harigai M, Ishiguro N, Inokuma S, Takei S, Takeuchi T, et al. Safety and effectiveness of adalimumab in Japanese rheumatoid arthritis patients: postmarketing surveillance report of the first 3,000 patients. Mod Rheumatol. 2011 [Epub ahead of print].
- Maini R, St Clair EW, Breedveld F, Furst D, Kalden J, Weisman M, et al. Infliximab (chimeric anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha monoclonal antibody) versus placebo in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving concomitant methotrexate: a randomised phase III trial. ATTRACT Study Group. Lancet. 1999;354:1932–9. CrossRef
- Lipsky PE, van der Heidge DM, St Clair EW, Furst DE, Breedveld FC, Kalden JR, Anti-tumor Necrosis Factor Trial in Rheumatoid Arthritis with Concomitant Therapy Study Group, et al. Infliximab and methotrexate in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1594–602. CrossRef
- Bathon JM, Martin RW, Fleischmann RM, Tesser JR, Schiff MH, Keystone EC, et al. A comparison of etanercept and methotrexate in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1586–93. CrossRef
- Genovese MC, Bathon JM, Martin RW, Fleischmann RM, Tesser JR, Schiff MH, et al. Etanercept versus methotrexate in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: two-year radiographic and clinical outcomes. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:1443–50. CrossRef
- Keystone EC, Schiff MH, Kremer JM, Kafka S, Lovy M, DeVries T, et al. Once-weekly administration of 50 mg etanercept in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arthr Rheum. 2004;50:353–63. CrossRef
- Arnett FC, Edworthy SM, Bloch DA, McShane DJ, Fries JF, Cooper NS, et al. The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthr Rheum. 1988;16:65–7.
- Prevoo ML, van ‘t Hof MA, Kuper HH, van Leeuwen MA, van de Putte LB, van Riel PL. Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts. Development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthr Rheum. 1995;38:44–8. CrossRef
- Miyasaka N, Takeuchi T, Eguchi K. Guidelines for the proper use of etanercept in Japan. Mod Rheumatol. 2006;16:63–7. CrossRef
- Van Gestel AM, Prevoo ML, van ‘t Hof MA, van Rijswijk MH, van de Putte LB, van Riel PL. Development and validation of the European League Against Rheumatism response criteria for rheumatoid arthritis. Comparison with the preliminary American College of Rheumatology and the World Health Organization/International League Against Rheumatism criteria. Arthritis Rheum. 1996;39:34–40. CrossRef
- Smolen JS, Breedveld FC, Schiff MH, Kalden JR, Emery P, Eberl G, et al. A simple disease activity index for rheumatoid arthritis in clinical practice. Rheumatology. 2003;42:244–57. CrossRef
- Van der Heijde D. Radiographic progression in rheumatoid arthritis: dose it reflect outcome? Does it reflect treatment? Ann Rheum Dis. 2001;60 suppl3:iii 47–50.
- Weinblatt ME, Kremer JM, Bankhurst AD, Bulpitt KJ, Fleischmann RM, Fox RI, et al. A study of etanercept, a recombinant tumor necrosis factor receptor: Fc fusion protein, in patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving methotrexate. N Engl J Med. 1999;240:253–9. CrossRef
- Moreland LW, Schiff MH, Baumagartner SW, Tindall EA, Fleischmann RM, Bulpitt KJ, et al. Etanercept therapy in rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, controlled study. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:478–86. CrossRef
- Marchesoni A, Zaccara E, Gorla R, Bazzani C, Sarzi-Puttini P, Atzeni F, et al. TNF-alpha antagonist survival rate in a cohort of rheumatoid arthritis patients observed under conditions of standard clinical practice. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1173:837–46. CrossRef
- Felson DT, Anderson JJ, Boers M, Bonbardier C, Furst D, Gold smith C, et al. American College of Rheumatology preliminary definition of improvement in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthr Rheum. 1995;6:727–35. CrossRef
- Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of etanercept 50 mg once weekly in Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis and comparison with 25 mg etanercept twice weekly
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 994-1000
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Disease activity score
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kamagaya General Hospital, 929-6 Hatsutomi, Kamagaya, Chiba, 273-0121, Japan
- 2. Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chibanishi General Hospital, Chiba, Japan