Incidence and predictive factors for malignancies in 136 Japanese patients with dermatomyositis, polymyositis and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to define the standardized incidence ratio (SIR) of malignancy and the potential risk factors of concomitant malignancies in patients with inflammatory myopathies, including clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (CADM). A total of 145 patients diagnosed with either dermatomyositis/polymyositis (DM/PM) or CADM at our institute between 1984 and 2002 were enrolled in the study. The demographic, clinical and laboratory features of the patients at the time of DM/PM or CADM diagnosis were compared between patients with and without malignancies, respectively. Multivariate analysis by logistic regression was used to determine the independent risk factors for the development of malignancies in DM/PM patients. Malignancy was found in 17 of 70 patients with DM (24%), three of 15 patients with CADM (20%), and three of 51 patients with PM (6%). Gastric cancer (8/23) was the most common malignancy. Compared with general population, the SIR of malignancies was 13.8 (range 9.0–21.1). The patients who developed malignancies were older (61.5 vs. 51.1 years; P < 0.005), presented more often with dysphagia (61 vs. 15%; P < 0.0001) and were less likely to have the complication of interstitial lung disease (30 vs. 60%; P < 0.05). These features were independent predictive factors for developing malignancies in multiple logistic regression analysis. The results of our study confirm that CADM in addition to DM was associated with high rates of malignancy among our patient cohort.
- Stertz G. Polymyositis. Berl Klin Wochenschr. 1916;53:489.
- Sigurgeirsson B, Lindelof B, Edhag O, Allander E. Risk of cancer in patients ith dermatomyositis or polymyositis. A population-based study. N Engl J Med. 1992;326(6):363–7. CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Forbes A, Hall S, Dennett X, Giles G. Incidence of malignant disease in biopsy-proven inflammatory myopathy. A population-based cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2001;134(12):1087–95.
- el-Azhary RA, Pakzad SY. Amyopathic dermatomyositis: retrospective review of 37 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;46(4):560–5. CrossRef
- Caproni M, Cardinali C, Parodi A, Giomi B, Papini M, Vaccaro M, Marzano A, De Simone C, Fazio M, Rebora A, Fabbri P. Amyopathic dermatomyositis: a review by the italian group of immunodermatology. Arch Dermatol. 2002;138(1):23–7. CrossRef
- Olsen NJ, Park JH, King LE Jr. Amyopathic dermatomyositis. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2001;3(4):346–51. CrossRef
- Hunger RE, Durr C, Brand CU. Cutaneous leukocytoclastic vasculitis in dermatomyositis suggests malignancy. Dermatology. 2001;202(2):123–6. CrossRef
- Fardet L, Dupuy A, Gain M, Kettaneh A, Cherin P, Bachelez H, Dubertret L, Lebbe C, Morel P, Rybojad M. Factors associated with underlying malignancy in a retrospective cohort of 121 patients with dermatomyositis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2009;88(2):91–7. CrossRef
- Basset-Seguin N, Roujeau JC, Gherardi R, Guillaume JC, Revuz J, Touraine R. Prognostic factors and predictive signs of malignancy in adult dermatomyositis. A study of 32 cases. Arch Dermatol. 1990;126(5):633–7. CrossRef
- Bohan A, Peter JB. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (second of two parts). N Engl J Med. 1975;292(8):403–7. CrossRef
- Bohan A, Peter JB. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (first of two parts). N Engl J Med. 1975;292(7):344–7. CrossRef
- Sontheimer RD. Cutaneous features of classic dermatomyositis and amyopathic dermatomyositis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 1999;11(6):475–82. CrossRef
- Ministry of Health and Welfare of Japan. Ministry of Health and Welfare of Japan, Tokyo; 1998.
- Zampieri S, Valente M, Adami N, Biral D, Ghirardello A, Rampuda ME, Vecchiato M, Sarzo G, Corbianco S, Kerm H, Carraro U, Bassetto F, Merigliano S, Doria A. Polymyositis, dermatomyositis and malignancy: a further intriguing link. Autoimmun Rev. 2010;9(6):449–53. CrossRef
- Hill CL, Zhang Y, Sigurgeirsson B, Pukkala E, Mellemkjaer L, Airio A, Evans SR, Felson DT. Frequency of specific cancer types in dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a population-based study. Lancet. 2001;357(9250):96–100. CrossRef
- Chen YJ, Wu CY, Shen JL. Predicting factors of malignancy in dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a case–control study. Br J Dermatol. 2001;144(4):825–31. CrossRef
- Huang YL, Chen YJ, Lin MW, Wu CY, Liu PC, Chen TJ, Chen YC, Jih JS, Chen CC, Lee DD, Chang YT, Wang WJ, Liu HN. Malignancies associated with dermatomyositis and polymyositis in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based study. Br J Dermatol. 2009;161:854–60.
- Liu W, Gao Z, Ni D, Li W, Li Y, Wang H. Dermatomyositis/polymyositis associated with head and neck malignancy. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2005;19(8):340, 1, 344.
- Hatada T, Aoki I, Ikeda H, Tamura T, Okada K, Nakai T, Utsunomiya J. Dermatomyositis and malignancy: case report and review of the Japanese literature. Tumori. 1996;82(3):273–5.
- Stockton D, Doherty VR, Brewster DH. Risk of cancer in patients with dermatomyositis or polymyositis, and follow-up implications: A Scottish population-based cohort study. Br J Cancer. 2001;85(1):41–5. CrossRef
- Dourmishev LA. Dermatomyositis associated with malignancy. 12 case reports. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1999;455:193–9.
- Andras C, Ponyi A, Constantin T, Csiki Z, Szekanecz E, Szodoray P, Danko K. Dermatomyositis and polymyositis associated with malignancy: a 21-year retrospective study. J Rheumatol. 2008;35(3):438–44.
- Ponyi A, Constantin T, Garami M, Andras C, Tallai B, Vancsa A, Gergely L, Danko K. Cancer-associated myositis: clinical features and prognostic signs. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1051:64–71. CrossRef
- Schnabel A, Hellmich B, Gross WL. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis, dermatomyositis. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2005;7(2):99–105. CrossRef
- Suda T, Fujisawa T, Enomoto N, Nakamura Y, Inui N, Naito T, Hashimoto D, Sato J, Toyoshima M, Hashizume H, Chida K. Interstitial lung diseases associated with amyopathic dermatomyositis. Eur Respir J. 2006;28(5):1005–12. CrossRef
- Incidence and predictive factors for malignancies in 136 Japanese patients with dermatomyositis, polymyositis and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 178-183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Amyopathic dermatomyositis
- Risk factor
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Rheumatology and Allergology, Department of Internal Medicine, St. Marianna University School of Medicine, 2-16-1 Sugao, Miyamae-ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, 216-8511, Japan