Characteristics of fracture and related factors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To examine the clinical features of vertebral and non-vertebral fractures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), including insufficiency fractures, and to assess the risk factors for fracture, we prospectively studied 209 outpatients with rheumatoid arthritis for 1 year. The age, gender, Steinbrocker’s functional class, glucocorticoid use, history of lower limb surgery, serum C-reactive protein (CRP), and use of bisphosphonates were evaluated. Examination for fractures was performed by radiography, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and bone scanning. Thirty-three fractures occurred in 24 patients over the 1-year study period, and the incidence was 15.8 fractures per 100 patient-years. Fractures occurred at various sites. The majority (70%) was insufficiency fracture, and more than 50% caused ambulatory dysfunction. Radiographic findings were absent in 39% of the fractures at the onset of pain. The functional class and glucocorticoid dose were significantly associated with fracture development. This prospective study showed that the incidence of fractures, especially insufficiency fractures, was very high in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and that most of their fractures caused gait disturbance. Early intervention to prevent secondary osteoporosis is recommended to maintain the quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, especially those with functional impairment or undergoing glucocorticoid therapy.
- Peel NF, Moore DJ, Barrington NA, Bax DE, Eastell R. Risk of vertebral fracture and relationship to bone mineral density in steroid treated rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1995;54:801–6. CrossRef
- Spector TD, Hall GM, McCloskey EV, Kanis JA. Risk of vertebral fracture in women with rheumatoid arthritis. BMJ 1993;306:558.
- de Nijs RN, Jacobs JW, Bijlsma JW, Lems WF, Laan RF, Houben HH, et al. Prevalence of vertebral deformities and symptomatic vertebral fractures in corticosteroid treated patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2001;40:1375–83. CrossRef
- Cooper C, Coupland C, Mitchell M. Rheumatoid arthritis, corticosteroid therapy and hip fracture. Ann Rheum Dis 1995;54:49–52.
- Huusko TM, Korpela M, Karppi P, Avikainen V, Kautiainen H, Sulkava R. Threefold increased risk of hip fractures with rheumatoid arthritis in Central Finland. Ann Rheum Dis 2001;60:521–2. CrossRef
- Hooyman JR, Melton LJ 3rd, Nelson AM, O’Fallon WM, Riggs BL. Fractures after rheumatoid arthritis. A population-based study. Arthritis Rheum 1984;27:1353–61. CrossRef
- Michel BA, Bloch DA, Wolfe F, Fries JF. Fractures in rheumatoid arthritis: an evaluation of associated risk factors. J Rheumatol 1993;20:1666–9.
- Orstavik RE, Haugeberg G, Uhlig T, Mowinckel P, Falch JA, Halse JI, et al. Self reported non-vertebral fractures in rheumatoid arthritis and population based controls: incidence and relationship with bone mineral density and clinical variables. Ann Rheum Dis 2004;63:177–82. CrossRef
- van Staa TP, Geusens P, Bijlsma JWJ, Leufkens HGM, Cooper C. Clinical assessment of the long-term risk of fracture in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2006;54:3104–12. CrossRef
- Furuya T, Kotake S, Inoue E, Nanke Y, Yago T, Kobashigawa T, et al. Risk factors associated with incident clinical vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in Japanese women with rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective 54-month observational study. J Rheumatol 2007;34:303–10.
- Schneider R, Kaye JJ. Insufficiency and stress fractures of the long bones occurring in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Radiology 1975;116:595–9.
- Fam AG, Shuckett R, McGillivray DC, Little AH. Stress fractures in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 1983;10:722–6.
- West SG, Troutner JL, Baker MR, Place HM. Sacral insufficiency fractures in rheumatoid arthritis. Spine 1994;19:2117–21. CrossRef
- Young A, Kinsella P, Boland P. Stress fractures of the lower limb in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1981;63:239–43.
- Alonso-Bartolome P, Martinez-Taboada VM, Blanco R, Rodriguez-Valverde V. Insufficiency fractures of the tibia and fibula. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1999;28:413–20. CrossRef
- Pentecost RL, Murray RA, Brindley HH. Fatigue, insufficiency, and pathologic fractures. JAMA 1964;187:1001–4.
- Arnett FC, Edworthy SM, Bloch DA, McShane DJ, Fries JF, Cooper NS, et al. The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1988;31:315–24. CrossRef
- Steinbrocker O, Traeger C, Batterman R. Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritis. JAMA 1949;140:659–62.
- Cooper KL, Beabout JW, Swee RG. Insufficiency fractures of the sacrum. Radiology 1985;156:15–20.
- Sakao K, Tokunaga D, Fujioka M, Watanabe Y, Ikoma K, Kubo T. Analysis of fractures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (in Japanese). Kossetsu 2003;25:429–31.
- Lloyd ME, Davitt S, Hall JR. Bilateral tibia and fibula fractures in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 2001;20:270–2. CrossRef
- Vanhoof J, Landewe S, Vandevenne J, Geusens P. An exceptional radiographic presentation of bilateral insufficiency fractures of the proximal tibia in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2003;62:277–9. CrossRef
- Wild A, Jaeger M, Haak H, Mehdian SH. Sacral insufficiency fracture, an unsuspected cause of low-back pain in elderly women. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2002;122:58–60.
- Peh WC, Gough AK, Sheeran T, Evans NS, Emery P. Pelvic insufficiency fractures in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 1993;32:319–24. CrossRef
- Godfrey N, Staple TW, Halter D, Lorber A. Insufficiency os pubis fractures in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 1985;12:1176–9.
- Soubrier M, Dubost JJ, Boisgard S, Sauvezie B, Gaillard P, Michel JL, et al. Insufficiency fracture. A survey of 60 cases and review of the literature. Joint Bone Spine 2003;70:209–18. CrossRef
- Blake SP, Connors AM. Sacral insufficiency fracture. Br J Radiol 2004;77:891–6. CrossRef
- Ries T. Detection of osteoporotic sacral fractures with radionuclides. Radiology 1983;146:783–5.
- Orstavik RE, Haugeberg G, Uhlig T, Falch JA, Halse JI, Hoiseth A, et al. Vertebral deformities in 229 female patients with rheumatoid arthritis: associations with clinical variables and bone mineral density. Arthritis Rheum 2003;49:355–60. CrossRef
- Maenpaa HM, Soini I, Lehto MU, Belt EA. Insufficiency fractures in patients with chronic inflammatory joint diseases. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2002;20:77–9.
- Ma J, Markides KS, Perkowski LP, Stroup-Benham CA, Lichtenstein M, Goodwin JS. Impact of selected medical conditions on self-reported lower-extremity function in Mexican-American elderly. Ethn Dis 1998;8:52–9.
- Stel VS, Pluijm SM, Deeg DJ, Smit JH, Bouter LM, Lips P. Functional limitations and poor physical performance as independent risk factors for self-reported fractures in older persons. Osteoporos Int 2004;15:742–50. CrossRef
- Colon-Emeric CS, Pieper CF, Artz MB. Can historical and functional risk factors be used to predict fractures in community-dwelling older adults? Development and validation of a clinical tool. Osteoporos Int 2002;13:955–61. CrossRef
- Kleerekoper M, Nelson DA. Vertebral fracture or vertebral deformity. Calcif Tissue Int 1992;50:5–6. CrossRef
- Cooper C, Atkinson EJ, O’Fallon WM, Melton LJ 3rd. Incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: a population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985–1989. J Bone Miner Res 1992;7:221–7. CrossRef
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, et al. Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet 1996;348:1535–41. CrossRef
- Ross PD. Clinical consequences of vertebral fractures. Am J Med 1997;103:30S–42S (discussion 42S–3S). CrossRef
- Arai K, Hanyu T, Sugitani H, Murai T, Fujisawa J, Nakazono K, et al. Risk factors for vertebral fracture in menopausal or postmenopausal Japanese women with rheumatoid arthritis: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study. J Bone Miner Metab 2006;24:118–24. CrossRef
- Characteristics of fracture and related factors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 170-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Insufficiency fracture
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Risk factor
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, 565-0871, Japan
- 2. Laboratory of Immune Regulation, Osaka University Graduate School of Frontier Bioscience, 1-3 Yamadaoka, Suita, 565-0871, Japan
- 3. Osaka Police Hospital, 10-31 Kitayama-cho, Tennoji-ku, Osaka, 543-0035, Japan