The complex of immunoglobulin A and uromodulin as a diagnostic marker for immunoglobulin A nephropathy
The only tool to diagnose immunoglobulinn A nephropathy (IgAN) is renal biopsy which requires hospitalization; moreover, renal biopsy has a risk of critical bleeding. Therefore, a non-invasive method for accurate diagnosis of IgAN is desirable and a must-to-have tool for the clinics. For this purpose, we evaluated the diagnostic value of the IgA–uromodulin complex in the urine of patients with IgAN for its feasibility and adequacy.
We determined the IgA–uromodulin complex as a candidate for a diagnostic marker of IgAN by immunoprecipitation, liquid chromatography−mass spectrometry (LC–MS) and Western blot analysis. The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the IgA–uromodulin complex was developed and applied to urine samples obtained from various kidney disease patients.
One hundred and three of 126 urine samples (81.7%) from IgAN patients were positive for the IgA–uromodulin complex, while only 25 out of 94 urine samples (26.6%) in other kidney disease patients were positive. Sensitivity was 81.7%, specificity was 73.4%, and diagnosis efficiency was 78.2%. The complex was negative in eight urine samples obtained from patients with Alport syndrome which is almost impossible to discriminate from IgAN by routine urinalysis.
Detection of the urinary IgA–uromodulin complex by ELISA is a useful non-invasive method to diagnose IgAN.
- Koyama A, Igarashi M, Kobayashi M. Natural history and risk factors for immunoglobulin A nephropathy in Japan. Group on progressive renal diseases. Am J Kidney Dis. 1997;4:526–32. CrossRef
- Stratta P, Segoloni GP, Canavese C, Sandri L, Mazzucco G, Roccatello D, et al. Incidence of biopsy-proven primary glomerulonephritis in Italian province. Am J Kidney Dis. 1996;27:631–9. CrossRef
- D’Amico G, Imbasciati E, Barbiano Di Belgioioso G, Bertoli S, Fogazzi G, Ferrario F, et al. Idiopathic IgA mesangial nephropathy. Clinical and histological study of 374 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 1985;64:49–60.
- Velo M, Lozano L, Egido J, Gutierrez-Millet V, Hernando L. Natural history of IgAN in patients followed up for more than ten years in Spain. Semin Nephrol. 1987;7:346–50.
- Maschio G, Alberti D, Janin G, Locatelli F, Mann JFE, Motolese M, et al. Effect of the angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor benazepril on the progression of chronic renal insufficiency. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:939–45. CrossRef
- Locatelli F. Antiproteinuric effect of losartan in patients with chronic renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1997;12:2204–5. CrossRef
- Wardle EN. Dipyridamole in the nephritides. Am J Ther. 1998;5:107–9. CrossRef
- Schena P, Montenegro M, Scibittaro V. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in patients with primary IgA nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1990;1:47–52.
- Bennet WM, Walker RG, Kinkid-Smith P. Treatment of IgA nephropathy with eicosapentanoic acid (EPA): a two-year prospective trial. Clin Nephrol. 1989;31:128–31.
- Hotta O, Taguma Y, Kurosawa K, Matsutani S. Early intensive therapy for clinical remission of active IgA nephropathy: a three-year follow-up study. Japan J Nephrol. 1993;35:81–7.
- Hotta O, Miyazaki M, Furuta T, Tomioka S, Chiba S, Horigome I, et al. Tonsillectomy and steroid pulse therapy significantly impact on clinical remission in patients with IgA nephropathy. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;38:736–43. CrossRef
- Sato M, Hotta O, Tomioka S, Horigome I, Chiba S, Miyazaki M, et al. Cohort study of advanced IgA nephropathy: efficacy and limitations of corticosteroids with tonsillectomy. Nephron Clin Pract. 2003;93:c137–45. CrossRef
- Wong Y, Chen J, Wang Y, Chen Y, Wang L, Lv Y. A meta-analysis of the clinical remission rate and long-term efficacy of tonsillectomy in patients with IgA nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011;26:1923–31. CrossRef
- Kokubo T, Hiki Y, Iwase H, Tanaka A, Toma K, Hotta K, et al. Protective role of IgA1 glycans against IgA1 self-aggregation and adhesion to extracellular matrix proteins. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998;9:2048–54.
- Haubitz M, Wittke S, Weissinger EM, Walden M, Rupprecht HD, Floege J, et al. Urine protein patterns can serve as diagnostic tools in patients with IgA nephropathy. Kidney Int. 2005;67:2313–20. CrossRef
- Wu J, Wang N, Wang J, Xie Y, Li Y, Liang T, et al. Identification of a uromodulin fragment for diagnosis of IgA nephropathy. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2010;24:1971–8. CrossRef
- Matousovic K, Novak J, Yanagihara T, Tomana M, Moldoveanu Z, Kulhavy R, et al. IgA-containing immune complexes in the urine of IgA nephropathy patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:2478–84. CrossRef
- Katayama H, Tabata T, Ishihama Y, Sato T, Oda Y, Nagasu T. Efficient in-gel digestion procedure using 5-cyclohexyl-1-pentyl-β-d-maltoside as an additive for gel-based membrane proteomics. Rapid Commun Mass Spectorom. 2004;18:2388–94. CrossRef
- Watanabe N, Kamei S, Ohkubo A, Yamanaka M, Ohsawa S, Makino K, et al. Urinary protein as measured with a pyrogallol red-molybdate complex, manually and in a Hitachi 726 automated analyzer. Clin Chem. 1986;32:1551–4.
- Lau WH, Leong WS, Ismail Z, Gam LH. Qualification and application of an ELISA for the determination of Tamm Horsfall protein (THP) in human urine and its use for screening of kidney stone disease. Int J Biol Sci. 2008;4:215–22. CrossRef
- Siao SC, Li KJ, Hsieh SC, Wu CH, Lu MC, Tsai CY, et al. Tamm–Horsfall glycoprotein enhances PMN phagocytosis by binding to cell surface-expressed lactoferrin and cathepsin G that activates MAP kinase pathway. Molecules. 2011;16:2119–34. CrossRef
- Vizjak A, Trnacević S, Ferluga D, Halilbasić A. Renal function, protein excretion, and pathology of Balkan endemic nephropathy. IV. Immunohistology. Kidney Int Suppl. 1991;34:S68–74.
- Machii R, Matsuda K, Hiratsuka N, Sugimoto K, Hotta O, Itoh Y, et al. Analysis of an expanded width of albumin fraction by cellulose acetate membrane electrophoresis in IgA nephropathy urine before treatment. J Clin Lab Anal. 2003;17:37–43. CrossRef
- Hotta O. Treatment of IgA nephropathy. In: Kai KN, editor. Recent advances in IgA nephropathy. World Scientific; 2009. p. 369–86.
- The complex of immunoglobulin A and uromodulin as a diagnostic marker for immunoglobulin A nephropathy
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Clinical and Experimental Nephrology
Volume 16, Issue 5 , pp 713-721
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- IgA nephropathy
- Immune complex
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. KAN Product Creation Unit, Eisai Product Creation Systems, Eisai Co., Ltd., 5-1-3 Tokodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 300-2635, Japan
- 2. Hotta Osamu Clinic, 2-39 Rokutyonomeminamityo, Wakabayashi-ku, Sendai, Miyagi, 984-0013, Japan