A case of angiomyolipoma of the renal sinus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The case of a 63-year-old woman with a relatively rapidly growing angiomyolipoma (AML) originating from the right renal sinus is presented. The tumor had enlarged to more than fivefold in volume (7.4 × 6.7 × 10.1 cm) in the 7 years following its detection (5.6 × 3.4 × 4.6 cm) and had significantly pushed aside the duodenum and the inferior vena cava. The tumor was surgically resected together with the right kidney, and pathological examination revealed AML originating from the renal sinus. An AML involving or originating from the renal sinus is exceedingly rare; only 14 cases have been reported. Rapidly growing AMLs of the renal sinus are difficult to differentiate from liposarcoma because of similar findings in imaging studies. It should be noted that AML of the renal sinus can be a differential diagnosis of retroperitoneal fatty mass. Furthermore, an enlarged AML in the renal sinus may push aside other organs, such as the ileum, pancreas, and major vessels. Clinicians should determine whether these patients should be placed under active surveillance or be treated with invasive measures, such as radical nephrectomy.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Diamond A, Kodroff M, Ravitz G. Renal sinus angiomyolipoma. Urology. 1977;9:221–3. CrossRef
- Fegan JE, Shah HR, Mukunyadzi P, Schutz MJ. Extrarenal retroperitoneal angiomyolipoma. South Med J. 1997;90(1):59–62. CrossRef
- Law SY, Fok M, Shek WH, Ma LT, Wong J. Retroperitoneal extrarenal angiomyolipoma. Aust N Z J Surg. 1994;64(6):449–51. CrossRef
- Angulo JC, López JI, Carnicero JA, Flores N. Extrarenal retroperitoneal angiomyolipoma. Urol Int. 1994;52(1):58–60. CrossRef
- Metro MJ, Ramchandani P, Banner MP, Siegelman ES, Stolpen AH, Wein AJ, et al. Angiomyolipoma of the renal sinus: diagnosis by percutaneous biopsy. Urology. 2000;55(2):286. CrossRef
- Ha HK, Seo HK, Chung MK. Radiologic characteristics of renal angiomyolipoma with minimal fat. Korean J Urol. 2004;45:163–7.
- Boorjian SA, Frank I, Inman B, Lohse CM, Cheville JC, Leibovich BC, et al. The role of partial nephrectomy for the management of sporadic renal angiomyolipoma. Urology. 2007;70(6):1064–8. CrossRef
- Nelson CP, Sanda MG. Contemporary diagnosis and management of renal angiomyolipoma. J Urol. 2002;168:1315–25. CrossRef
- Kaneko T, Ogushi T, Asakage Y, Kitamura T. Angiomyolipoma in the renal pelvis. Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 2007;98(7):832–4.
- Zagoria RJ, Dyer RB, McCullough DL. Angiomyolipoma arising in the renal sinus: a difficult radiologic diagnosis. Urol Radiol. 1989;11(3):139–41. CrossRef
- Cass AS, Ireland GW. Angiomyolipoma of the kidney. Report of two cases presenting as renal pelvic masses. Br J Urol. 1972;44(2):129–32. CrossRef
- Fujita K. Angiomyolipoma in renal sinus. Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 1974;65(2):124–6.
- Kamath A, Rosenkrantz AB, Bosniak MA. MRI findings of angiomyolipoma of the renal sinus in 5 cases. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2010;34(6):915–20. CrossRef
- Mues AC, Palacios JM, Haramis G, Casazza C, Badani K, Gupta M, et al. Contemporary experience in the management of angiomyolipoma. J Endourol. 2010;24(11):1883–6. CrossRef
- Oesterling JE, Fishman EK, Goldman SM, Marshall FF. The management of renal angiomyolipoma. J Urol. 1986;135:1121–4.
- Steiner MS, Goldman SM, Fishman EK, Marshall FF. The natural history of renal angiomyolipoma. J Urol. 1993;150:1782–6.
- Koo KC, Kim WT, Ham WS, Lee JS, Ju HJ, Choi YD. Trends of presentation and clinical outcome of treated renal angiomyolipoma. Yonsei Med J. 2010;51(5):728–34. CrossRef
- Bissler JJ, McCormack FX, Young LR, Elwing JM, Chuck G, Leonard JM, et al. Sirolimus for angiomyolipoma in tuberous sclerosis complex or lymphangioleiomyomatosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:140–51. CrossRef
- Simmons JL, Hussain SA, Riley P, Wallace DM. Management of renal angiomyolipoma in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Oncol Rep. 2003;10:237–41.
About this Article
- A case of angiomyolipoma of the renal sinus
Clinical and Experimental Nephrology
Volume 15, Issue 6 , pp 953-956
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Renal sinus
- Industry Sectors