Management of anemia in chronic kidney disease patients: baseline findings from Chronic Kidney Disease Japan Cohort Study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Anemia is a factor that affects the outcome of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD); however, there are only a few reports on the management of anemia in Japanese patients with CKD who are not on dialysis.
We investigated the prevalence, related factors and management of anemia in CKD stage 3–5 patients in Japan based on the baseline data obtained from a prospective cohort study (Chronic Kidney Disease Japan Cohort). Anemia was defined as having a hemoglobin (Hb) level of <11 g/dL or receiving erythropoiesis stimulating agent (ESA) therapy.
The result indicated that 946 out of 2,930 patients had anemia. Of these 946 patients, 385 were receiving ESA treatment for anemia and had an Hb level of 10.28 ± 1.19 g/dL (mean ± SD). The percentage of these patients with an Hb level above the target of 11 g/dL proposed for treatment by the Japanese guidelines, and above the maintenance level of 10 g/dL approved for ESA therapy in Japan, was only 30.1 and 61.6%, respectively. In contrast, the percentage of patients receiving no ESA therapy was 67.6 and 55.7%, respectively, among those with an Hb level of <11 and <10 g/dL.
These data suggested that prevalence of anemia was high in Japanese patients with CKD stage 3–5, that the percentage of patients receiving ESA was low among those who required ESA, and that a large number of patients receiving ESA failed to maintain the recommended level of Hb.
- Imai E, Horio M, Watanabe T, Iseki K, Yamagata K, Hara S, et al. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in the Japanese general population. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2009;13(6):621–30. CrossRef
- Imai E, Matsuo S, Makino H, Watanabe T, Akizawa T, Nitta K, et al. Chronic Kidney Disease Japan Cohort study: baseline characteristics and factors associated with causative diseases and renal function. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2010;14:558–70. CrossRef
- Vlagopoulos PT, Tighiouart H, Weiner DE, Griffith J, Pettitt D, Salem DN, et al. Anemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in diabetes: the impact of chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:3403–10. CrossRef
- Al-Ahmad A, Rand WM, Manjunath G, Konstam MA, Salem DN, Levey AS, et al. Reduced kidney function and anemia as risk factors for mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;38:955–62. CrossRef
- Silverberg DS, Wexler D, Sheps D, Blum M, Keren G, Baruch R, et al. The effect of correction of mild anemia in severe, resistant congestive heart failure using subcutaneous erythropoietin and intravenous iron: a randomized controlled study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37:1775–80. CrossRef
- Kuriyama S, Tomonari H, Yoshida H, Hashimoto T, Kawaguchi Y, Sakai O. Reversal of anemia by erythropoietin therapy retards the progression of chronic renal failure, especially in nondiabetic patients. Nephron. 1997;77:176–85. CrossRef
- Gouva C, Nikolopoulos P, Ioannidis JP, Siamopoulos KC. Treating anemia early in renal failure patients slows the decline of renal function: a randomized controlled trial. Kidney Int. 2004;66:753–60. CrossRef
- Singh AK, Szczech L, Tang KL, Barnhart H, Sapp S, Wolfson M, et al. CHOIR Investigators, correction of anemia with epoetin alfa in chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:2085–98. CrossRef
- Drüeke TB, Locatelli F, Clyne N, Eckardt KU, Macdougall IC, Tsakiris D, et al. CREATE Investigators. Normalization of hemoglobin level in patients with chronic kidney disease and anemia. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:2071–84. CrossRef
- National Kidney Foundation. K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice recommendations for anemia in chronic kidney disease: 2007 Update of Hemoglobin Target. Am J Kidney Dis. 2007;50:471–530. CrossRef
- Locatelli F, Aljama P, Bárány P, Canaud B, Carrera F, Eckardt KU, et al. Revised European Best Practice Guidelines for the management of anaemia in patients with chronic renal failure. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004;19(Suppl 2):ii1–47. CrossRef
- Tsubakihara Y, Nishi S, Akiba T, Hirakata H, Iseki K, Kubota M, et al. 2008 Japanese Society for Dialysis Therapy: guidelines for renal anemia in chronic kidney disease. Ther Apher Dial. 2010;14:240–75. CrossRef
- Management of anemia in chronic kidney disease patients: baseline findings from Chronic Kidney Disease Japan Cohort Study
Clinical and Experimental Nephrology
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 248-257
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Erythropoiesis stimulating agent (ESA)
- Hemoglobin (Hb)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Showa University School of Medicine, 1-5-8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, 142-8666, Japan
- 2. Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
- 3. Department of Nephrology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
- 4. The Third Department of Internal Medicine, Fukushima Medical College, Fukushima, Japan
- 5. Department of Medicine, Kidney Center, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
- 6. Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- 7. First Department of Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Japan