Imaging in assessing lymph node status in gastric cancer
Accurate assessment of lymph node status is of crucial importance for appropriate treatment planning and determining prognosis in patients with gastric cancer. The aim of this study was to systematically review the current role of imaging in assessing lymph node (LN) status in gastric cancer.
A systematic literature search was performed in the PubMed/MEDLINE and Embase databases. The methodological quality and diagnostic performance of the included studies was assessed.
Six abdominal ultrasonography (AUS) studies, 30 endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) studies, 10 multidetectorrow computed tomography (MDCT) studies, 3 conventional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies, 4 18F-fluoro-2-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) studies, and 1 FDG-PET/CT fusion study were included. In general, the included studies had moderate methodological quality. The sensitivity and specificity of AUS varied between 12.2% and 80.0% (median, 39.9%) and 56.3% and 100% (median, 81.8%). The sensitivity and specificity of EUS varied between 16.7% and 95.3% (median, 70.8%) and 48.4% and 100% (median, 84.6%). The sensitivity and specificity of MDCT varied between 62.5% and 91.9% (median, 80.0%) and 50.0% and 87.9% (median, 77.8%). The sensitivity and specificity of MRI varied between 54.6% and 85.3% (median, 68.8%) and 50.0% and 100% (median, 75.0%). The sensitivity and specificity of FDG-PET varied between 33.3% and 64.6% (median, 34.3%) and 85.7% and 97.0% (median, 93.2%). The sensitivity and specificity of the FDG-PET/CT fusion study were 54.7% and 92.2%. For all the imaging modalities, there were no significant differences between the mean sensitivities and specificities of high- and low-quality studies.
AUS, EUS, MDCT, conventional MRI, and FDG-PET cannot reliably be used to confirm or exclude the presence of LN metastasis. The performance of highresolution PET/CT fusion and functional MRI techniques still has to be determined.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:74–108. CrossRef
- Siewert JR, Böttcher K, Stein HJ, Roder JD. Relevant prognostic factors in gastric cancer: 10-year results of the German Gastric Cancer Study. Ann Surg 1998;228:449–461. CrossRef
- Zhang XF, Huang CM, Lu HS, Wu XY, Wang C, Guang GX, et al. Surgical treatment and prognosis of gastric cancer in 2613 patients. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10:3405–3408.
- Gotoda T, Yanagisawa A, Sasako M, Ono H, Nakanishi Y, Shimoda T, et al. Incidence of lymph node metastasis from early gastric cancer: estimation with a large number of cases at two large centers. Gastric Cancer 2000;3:219–225. CrossRef
- Hohenberger P, Gretschel S. Gastric cancer. Lancet 2003;362:305–315. CrossRef
- Swan R, Miner TJ. Current role of surgical therapy in gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:372–379.
- Brennan MF. Current status of surgery for gastric cancer: a review. Gastric Cancer 2005;8:64–70. CrossRef
- De Vita F, Giuliani F, Galizia G, Belli C, Aurilio G, Santabarbara G, et al. Neo-adjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy of gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2007;18(Suppl 6):20–23.
- Barentsz J, Takahashi S, Oyen W, Mus R, De Mulder P, Reznek R, et al. Commonly used imaging techniques for diagnosis and staging. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:3234–3244. CrossRef
- Rubin E, Palazzo JP. The gastrointestinal tract. In: Rubin E, Gorstein F, Rubin F, Schwarting R, Strayer D, editors. Rubin’s pathology. Clinicopathologic foundations of medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005. p. 660–739.
- Kelly S, Berry E, Roderick P, Harris KM, Cullingworth J, Gathercole L, et al. The identification of bias in studies of the diagnostic performance of imaging modalities. Br J Radiol 1997;70:1028–1035.
- Whiting P, Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, Bossuyt PM, Kleijnen J. The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol 2003;3:25. CrossRef
- Whiting PF, Weswood ME, Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, Bossuyt PN, Kleijnen J. Evaluation of QUADAS, a tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studies. BMC Med Res Methodol 2006;6:9. CrossRef
- Kim YN, Choi D, Kim SH, Kim MJ, Lee SJ, Lee WJ, et al. Gastric cancer staging at isotropic MDCT including coronal and sagittal MPR images: endoscopically diagnosed early vs advanced gastric cancer. Abdom Imaging 2009;34:26–34. CrossRef
- Chamadol N, Wongwiwatchai J, Bhudhisawasd V, Pairojkul C. Accuracy of spiral CT in preoperative staging of gastric carcinoma: correlation with surgical and pathological findings. J Med Assoc Thai 2008;91:356–363.
- Yang Q-M, Kawamura T, Itoh H, Bando E, Nemoto M, Akamoto S, et al. Is PET-CT suitable for predicting lymph node status for gastric cancer? Hepatogastroenterology 2008;55:782–785.
- Lok K-H, Lee C-K, Yiu H-L, Lai L, Szeto M-L, Leung S-K. Current utilization and performance status of endoscopic ultrasound in a community hospital. J Dig Dis 2008;9:41–47. CrossRef
- Chen BB, Liang PC, Liu KL, Hsiao JK, Huang JC, Wong JM, et al. Preoperative diagnosis of gastric tumors by threedimensional multidetector row CT and double contrast barium meal study: correlation with surgical and histologic results. J Formos Med Assoc 2007;106:943–952. CrossRef
- Bentrem D, Gerdes H, Tang L, Brennan M, Coit D. Clinical correlation of endoscopic ultrasonography with pathologic stage and outcome in patients undergoing curative resection for gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:1853–1859. CrossRef
- Tan SY, Wang JY, Shen L, Luo HS, Shen ZX. Relationship between preoperative staging by endoscopic ultrasonography and MMP-9 expression in gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:2108–2112.
- Chen CY, Hsu JS, Wu DC, Kang WY, Hsieh JS, Jaw TS, et al. Gastric cancer: preoperative local staging with 3D multi-detector row CT-correlation with surgical and histopathologic results. Radiology 2007;242:472–482. CrossRef
- Yang DM, Kim HC, Jin W, Ryu CW, Kang JH, Park CH, et al. 64 Multidetector-row computed tomography for preoperative evaluation of gastric cancer: histological correlation. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2007;31:98–103. CrossRef
- Ozmen MM, Zulfikaroglu B, Kucuk NO, Ozalp N, Aras G, Koseoglu T, et al. Lymphoscintigraphy in detection of the regional lymph node involvement in gastric cancer. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2006;88:632–638. CrossRef
- Arocena MG, Barturen A, Bujanda L, Casado O, Ramírez MM, Oleagoitia JM, et al. MRI and endoscopic ultrasonography in the staging of gastric cancer. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2006;98:582–590. CrossRef
- Ganpathi IS, So JB, Ho KY. Endoscopic ultrasonography for gastric cancer: does it influence treatment? Surg Endosc 2006;20:559–562. CrossRef
- Tsendsuren T, Jun SM, Mian XH. Usefulness of endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative TNM staging of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:43–47.
- Ang TL, Ng TM, Fock KM, Teo EK. Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound staging of gastric cancer in routine clinical practice in Singapore. Chin J Dig Dis 2006;7:191–196. CrossRef
- Mukai K, Ishida Y, Okajima K, Isozaki H, Morimoto T, Nishiyama S. Usefulness of preoperative FDG-PET for detection of gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:192–196. CrossRef
- Potrc S, Skalicky M, Ivanecz A. Does endoscopic ultrasound staging already allow individual treatment regimens in gastric cancer? Wien Klin Wochenschr 2006;118(Suppl 2):48–51. CrossRef
- Yun M, Lim JS, Noh SH, Hyung WJ, Cheong JH, Bong JK, et al. Lymph node staging of gastric cancer using (18)F-FDG PET: a comparison study with CT. J Nucl Med 2005;46:1582–1588.
- Kim HJ, Kim AY, Oh ST, Kim JS, Kim KW, Kim PN, et al. Gastric cancer staging at multi-detector row CT gastrography: comparison of transverse and volumetric CT scanning. Radiology 2005;236:879–885. CrossRef
- Shinohara T, Ohyama S, Yamaguchi T, Muto T, Kohno A, Ogura T, et al. Preoperative TNM staging of advanced gastric cancer with multi-detector row computed tomography. Japan Med Assoc J 2005;48:175–182.
- Liao SR, Dai Y, Huo L, Yan K, Zhang L, Zhang H, et al. Transabdominal ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10:3399–3404.
- Polkowski M, Palucki J, Wronska E, Szawlowski A, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Butruk E. Endosonography versus helical computed tomography for locoregional staging of gastric cancer. Endoscopy 2004;36:617–623. CrossRef
- Bhandari S, Shim CS, Kim JH, Jung IS, Cho JY, Lee JS, et al. Usefulness of three-dimensional, multidetector row CT (virtual gastroscopy and multiplanar reconstruction) in the evaluation of gastric cancer: a comparison with conventional endoscopy, EUS, and histopathology. Gastrointest Endosc 2004;59:619–626. CrossRef
- Javaid G, Shah OJ, Dar MA, Shah P, Wani NA, Zargar SA. Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric carcinoma. ANZ J Surg 2004;74:108–111. CrossRef
- Habermann CR, Weiss F, Riecken R, Honarpisheh H, Bohnacker S, Staedtler C, et al. Preoperative staging of gastric adenocarcinoma: comparison of helical CT and endoscopic US. Radiology 2004;230:465–471. CrossRef
- Tian J, Chen L, Wei B, Shao M, Ding Y, Yin D, et al. The value of vesicant 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (18F-FDG PET) in gastric malignancies. Nucl Med Commun 2004;25:825–831. CrossRef
- Stabile Ianora AA, Pedote P, Scardapane A, Memeo M, Rotondo A, Angelelli G. Preoperative staging of gastric carcinoma with multidetector spiral CT. Radiol Med (Torino) 2003;106:467–480.
- Xi WD, Zhao C, Ren GS. Endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric cancer: determination of tumor invasion depth, nodal involvement and surgical resectability. World J Gastroenterol 2003;9:254–257.
- Chen CH, Yang CC, Yeh YH. Preoperative staging of gastric cancer by endoscopic ultrasound: the prognostic usefulness of ascites detected by endoscopic ultrasound. J Clin Gastroenterol 2002;35:321–327. CrossRef
- Lee DH, Ko YT, Park SJ, Lim JW. Comparison of hydro-US and spiral CT in the staging of gastric cancer. Clin Imaging 2001;25:181–186. CrossRef
- Willis S, Truong S, Gribnitz S, Fass J, Schumpelick V. Endoscopic ultrasonography in the preoperative staging of gastric cancer: accuracy and impact on surgical therapy. Surg Endosc 2000;14:951–954. CrossRef
- Tseng LJ, Mo LR, Tio TL, Fresner YT, Jao N, Lin RC, et al. Video-endoscopic ultrasonography in staging gastric carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology 2000;47:897–900.
- Kim AY, Han JK, Seong CK, Kim TK, Choi BI. MRI in staging advanced gastric cancer: is it useful compared with spiral CT? J Comput Assist Tomogr 2000;24:389–394. CrossRef
- Mancino G, Bozzetti F, Schicchi A, Schiavo M, Spinelli P, Andreola S. Preoperative endoscopic ultrasonography in patients with gastric cancer. Tumori 2000;86:139–141.
- Kang BC, Kim JH, Kim KW, Lee DY, Baek SY, Lee SW, et al. Value of the dynamic and delayed MR sequence with Gd-DTPA in the T-staging of stomach cancer: correlation with the histopathology. Abdom Imaging 2000;25:14–24. CrossRef
- Akahoshi K, Chijiwa Y, Hamada S, Sasaki I, Nawata H, Kabemura T, et al. Pretreatment staging of endoscopically early gastric cancer with a 15 MHz ultrasound catheter probe. Gastrointest Endosc 1998;48:470–476. CrossRef
- Hunerbein M, Ghadimi BM, Haensch W, Schlag PM. Transendoscopic ultrasound of esophageal and gastric cancer using miniaturized ultrasound catheter probes. Gastrointest Endosc 1998;48:371–375. CrossRef
- Wang JY, Hsieh JS, Huang YS, Huang CJ, Hou MF, Huang TJ. Endoscopic ultrasonography for preoperative locoregional staging and assessment of resectability in gastric cancer. Clin Imaging 1998;22:355–359. CrossRef
- Yeung HW, Macapinlac H, Karpeh M, Finn RD, Larson SM. Accuracy of FDG-PET in gastric cancer. Preliminary experience. Clin Positron Imaging 1998;1:213–221. CrossRef
- Hamada S, Akahoshi K, Chijiiwa Y, Nawata H, Sasaki I. Relationship between histological type and endosonographic detection of regional lymph node metastases in gastric cancer. Br J Radiol 1997;70:697–702.
- Düx M, Roeren T, Kuntz C, Richter GM, Kauffmann GW. TNM staging of gastrointestinal tumors by hydrosonography: results of a histopathologically controlled study in 60 patients. Abdom Imaging 1997;22:24–34. CrossRef
- Kim JJ, Jung HC, Song IS, Choi KW, Kim CY, Han JK, et al. Preoperative evaluation of the curative resectability of gastric cancer by abdominal computed tomography and ultrasonography: a prospective comparison study. Korean J Intern Med 1997;12:1–6.
- Hunerbein M, Dohmoto M, Rau B, Schlag PM. Endosonography and endosonography-guided biopsy of upper-GI-tract tumors using a curved-array echoendoscope. Surg Endosc 1996;10:1205–1209. CrossRef
- François E, Peroux J, Mouroux J, Chazalle M, Hastier P, Ferrero J, et al. Preoperative endosonographic staging of cancer of the cardia. Abdom Imaging 1996;21:483–487. CrossRef
- Stell DA, Carter CR, Stewart I, Anderson JR. Prospective comparison of laparoscopy, ultrasonography and computed tomography in the staging of gastric cancer. Br J Surg 1996;83:1260–1262. CrossRef
- Perng DS, Jan CM, Wang WM, Chen LT, Su YC, Liu GC, et al. Computed tomography, endoscopic ultrasonography and intraoperative assessment in TN staging of gastric carcinoma. J Formos Med Assoc 1996;95:378–385.
- Greenberg J, Durkin M, Van Drunen M, Aranha GV. Computed tomography or endoscopic ultrasonography in preoperative staging of gastric and esophageal tumors. Surgery 1994;116:696–701.
- Smith JW, Brennan MF, Botet JF, Gerdes H, Lightdale CJ. Preoperative endoscopic ultrasound can predict the risk of recurrence after operation for gastric carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:2380–2385.
- Ziegler K, Sanft C, Zimmer T, Zeitz M, Felsenberg D, Stein H, et al. Comparison of computed tomography, endosonography, and intraoperative assessment in TN staging of gastric carcinoma. Gut 1993;34:604–610. CrossRef
- Grimm H, Binmoeller KF, Hamper K, Koch J, Henne-Bruns D, Soehendra N. Endosonography for preoperative locoregional staging of esophageal and gastric cancer. Endoscopy 1993;25:224–230. CrossRef
- Dittler HJ, Siewert JR. Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in gastric carcinoma. Endoscopy 1993;25:162–166. CrossRef
- Botet JF, Lightdale CJ, Zauber AG, Gerdes H, Winawer SJ, Urmacher C, et al. Preoperative staging of gastric cancer: comparison of endoscopic US and dynamic CT. Radiology 1991;181:426–432.
- Tio TL, Coene PP, Luiken GJ, Tytgat GN. Endosonography in the clinical staging of esophagogastric carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc 1990;36(Suppl 2):2–10. CrossRef
- Mönig SP, Zirbes TK, Schröder W, Baldus SE, Lindemann DG, Dienes HP, et al. Staging of gastric cancer: correlation of lymph node size and metastatic infiltration. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999;173:365–367.
- Will O, Purkayastha S, Chan C, Athanasiou T, Darzi AW, Gedroyc W, et al. Diagnostic precision of nanoparticle-enhanced MRI for lymph-node metastases: a meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:52–60. CrossRef
- Tatsumi Y, Tanigawa N, Nishimura H, Nomura E, Mabuchi H, Matsuki M, et al. Preoperative diagnosis of lymph node metastases in gastric cancer by magnetic resonance imaging with ferumoxtran-10. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:120–128. CrossRef
- Herborn CU, Lauenstein TC, Vogt FM, Lauffer RB, Debatin JF, Ruehm SG. Interstitial MR lymphography with MS-325: characterization of normal and tumor-invaded lymph nodes in a rabbit model. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2002;179:1567–1572.
- Koh DM, Collins DJ. Diffusion-weighted MRI in the body: applications and challenges in oncology. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007;188:1622–1635. CrossRef
- Rohren EM, Turkington TG, Coleman RE. Clinical applications of PET in oncology. Radiology 2004;231:305–332. CrossRef
- Stahl A, Ott K, Weber WA, Becker K, Link T, Siewert JR, et al. FDG PET imaging of locally advanced gastric carcinomas: correlation with endoscopic and histopathological findings. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003;30:288–295.
- Koga H, Sasaki M, Kuwabara Y, Hiraka K, Nakagawa M, Abe K, et al. An analysis of the physiological FDG uptake pattern in the stomach. Ann Nucl Med 2003;17:733–738. CrossRef
- von Schulthess GK, Steinert HC, Hany TF. Integrated PET/CT: current applications and future directions. Radiology 2006;238:405–422. CrossRef
- Mullani NA, Mawlawi O. Why is the resolution of the Discovery PET/CT camera so poor? J Nucl Med 2005;46:898; author reply 898.
- Hiratsuka M, Miyashiro I, Ishikawa O, Furukawa H, Motomura K, Ohigashi H, et al. Application of sentinel node biopsy to gastric cancer surgery. Surgery 2001;129:335–340. CrossRef
- Tonouchi H, Mohri Y, Tanaka K, Konishi N, Ohmori Y, Kobayashi M, et al. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy during laparoscopic gastrectomy for early cancer. Dig Surg 2003;20:421–427. CrossRef
- Song X, Wang L, Chen W, Pan T, Zhu H, Xu J, et al. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy in gastric cancer. Am J Surg 2004;187:270–273. CrossRef
- Mura G, Vagliasindi A, Framarini M, Mazza P, Solfrini G, Verdecchia GM. The sentinel node biopsy in early gastric cancer: a preliminary study. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2006;391:113–117. CrossRef
- Kitagawa Y, Fujii H, Kumai K, Kubota T, Otani Y, Saikawa Y, et al. Recent advances in sentinel node navigation for gastric cancer: a paradigm shift of surgical management. J Surg Oncol 2005;90:147–151. CrossRef
- Imaging in assessing lymph node status in gastric cancer
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 6-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Gastric cancer
- Lymph node metastasis
- Systematic review
- Industry Sectors