Evaluation of lymph node metastases in gastric cancer using magnetic resonance imaging with ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO): diagnostic performance in post-contrast images using new diagnostic criteria
We assessed the value of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), using ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) with new diagnostic criteria, in the evaluation of regional lymph node metastases in gastric cancer.
Thirty-one patients with gastric cancer were enrolled. 1000 lymph nodes were dissected during surgery, and of these, 519 nodes (51.9 %) were identified by currently used MRI imaging analysis. We evaluated lymph nodes on USPIO-post-contrast T2*-weighted images using the following two criteria: (1) we diagnosed the nodes on T2*-weighted images according to conventional criteria, where a node having an overall low signal intensity (pattern A) was nonmetastatic, while a node having partial (pattern B) or overall (pattern C) high signal intensity was metastatic; (2) we subdivided pattern B nodes on T1-weighted images using the new criteria, in which a node for which the high-intensity area on T2*-weighted images was not defined as adipose tissue on T1-weighted images (pattern B1) was metastatic, while a node for which the high-intensity area was defined as adipose tissue (pattern B2) was nonmetastatic.
(1) The results using the conventional criteria were 96.2% sensitivity, 92.5% specificity, 76.3% positive predictive value (PPV), 99.0% negative predictive value (NPV), and 93.3% accuracy. (2) The results using the new criteria were 96.2% sensitivity, 98.3% specificity, 90.1% PPV, 99.0% NPV, and 97.1% accuracy.
The assessment of lymph node metastases from USPIO-post-contrast MRI alone using the new criteria was useful in the diagnosis of regional lymph node metastases in gastric cancer.
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Gastric cancer treatment guidelines in Japan. 1st ed (in Japanese). Tokyo: Kanehara; 2001.
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Gastric cancer treatment guidelines in Japan. 2nd ed (in Japanese). Tokyo: Kanehara; 2004.
- Sasako M, Sano T, Yamamoto S, Kurokawa Y, Nashimoto A, Kurita A, et al. D2 lymphadenectomy alone or with para-aortic nodal dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2008;359:453–462. CrossRef
- Grimm H, Soehendra N, Hapmper K, Maas R. Contribution of endoscopy to preoperative staging in esophageal and stomach cancer. Chirurg 1989;60:684–689.
- Boku T, Nakane Y, Okumura S, Okamoto M, Okamura N, Kasamatsu S, et al. Preoperative diagnosis of gastric cancer using plain computed tomography and dynamic computed tomography (in Japanese). J Japan Soc Gastroenterol Surg 1991;24:757–762.
- Nattermann C, Galbenu-Grünwald R, Nier H, Dancygier H. Endoscopic ultrasound in TN staging of stomach cancer. A comparison with computerized tomography and conventional ultrasound. Z Gesamte Inn Med 1993;48:60–64.
- Peng DS, Jan CM, Wang WM, Chen LT, Su YC, Liu GC, et al. Computed tomography, endoscopic ultrasonography and intraoperative assessment in TN staging of gastric carcinoma. J Formos Med Assoc 1996;95:378–385.
- Kim AY, Han JK, Seong CK, Kim TK, Choi BI. MRI in staging advanced gastric cancer: is it useful compared with spiral CT? J Comput Assist Tomogr 2000;24:389-94.
- Sohn KM, Lee JM, Lee SY, Ahn BY, Park SM, Kim KM. Comparing MR imaging and CT in the staging of gastric carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000;174:1551–1557.
- Polkowski M, Palucki J, Wronska E, Szawlowski A, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Butruk E. Endosonography versus helical computed tomography for locoregional staging of gastric cancer. Endoscopy 2004;36:617–623. CrossRef
- Bhandari S, Shim CS, Kim JH, Jung IS, Cho JY, Lee JS, et al. Usefulness of three-dimensional, multidetector row CT (virtual gastroscopy and multiplanar reconstruction) in the evaluation of gastric cancer: a comparison with conventional endoscopy, EUS, and histopathology. Gastrointest Endosc 2004;59:619–626. CrossRef
- Arocena MG, Barturen A, Bujanda L, Casado O, Ramírez MM, Oleagoitia JM, et al. MRI and endoscopic ultrasonography in the staging of gastric cancer. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2006;98:582–590. CrossRef
- Chen CY, Hsu JS, Wu DC, Kang WY, Hsieh JS, Jaw TS, et al. Gastric cancer: preoperative local staging with 3D multi-detector row CT — correlation with surgical and histopathological results. Radiology 2007;242:472–482. CrossRef
- Anzai Y, Prince MR. Iron oxide-enhanced MR lymphography: the evaluation of cervical lymph node metastases in head and neck cancer. J Magn Reson Imaging 1997;7:75–81. CrossRef
- Mack MG, Balzer JO, Straub R, Eichler K, Vogl TJ. Superparamagnetic iron oxide-enhanced MR imaging of head and neck lymph nodes. Radiology 2002;222:239–244. CrossRef
- Harisinghani MG, Barentsz J, Hahn PF, Deserno WM, Tabatabaei S, van de Kaa CH, et al. Noninvasive detection of clinically occult lymph node metastases in prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2491–2499. CrossRef
- Koh DM, Brown G, Temple L, Blake H, Raja A, Toomey P, et al. Rectal cancer: mesorectal lymph nodes at MR imaging with USPIO versus histopathologic findings — initial observations. Radiology 2004;231:91–99. CrossRef
- Nishimura H, Tanigawa N, Hiramatsu M, Tatsumi Y, Matsuki M, Narabayashi I. Preoperative esophageal cancer staging: magnetic resonance imaging of lymph node with ferumoxtran-10, an ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide. J Am Coll Surg 2006; 202:604–611. CrossRef
- Harada T, Tanigawa N, Matsuki M, Nohara T, Narabayashi I. Evaluation of lymph node metastases of breast cancer using ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Eur J Radiol 2007;63:401–407. CrossRef
- Tasumi Y, Tanigawa N, Nishimura H, Nomura E, Mabuchi H, Matsuki M, et al. Preoperative diagnosis of lymph node metastasis in gastric cancer by magnetic resonance imaging with ferumoxtran-10. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:120–128. CrossRef
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma — 2nd English edition —. Gastric Cancer 1998;1:10–24. CrossRef
- Hudgins PA, Anzai Y, Morris MR, Lucas MA. Ferumoxtran-10, a superparamagnetic iron oxide as a magnetic resonance enhancement agent for imaging lymph nodes: a phase 2 dose study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2002;23:649–656.
- Anzai Y, Piccoli CW, Outwater EK, Stanford W, Bluemke DA, Nurenberg P, et al. Evaluation of neck and body metastases to nodes with ferumoxtran 10-enhanced MR imaging: phase III safety and efficacy study. Radiology 2003;228:777–788. CrossRef
- Sobin LH, Wikkekind C. TNM classification of malignant tumors. 6th ed. New York: Wiley-Liss; 2002.
- Yokota T, Ishiyama S, Saito T, Teshima S, Narushima Y, Murata K, et al. Lymph node metastasis as a significant prognostic factor in gastric cancer: a multiple logistic regression analysis. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004;39:380–384. CrossRef
- Isozaki H, Fujii K, Nomura E, Mabuchi H, Nishiguchi K, Hara K, et al. Prognostic factors of advanced gastric carcinoma without serosal invasion (pT2 gastric carcinoma). Hepatogastroenterology 1999;46:2669–2672.
- Gotoda T, Yanagisawa A, Sasako M, Ono H, Nakanishi Y, Shimoda T, et al. Incidence of lymph node metastasis from early gastric cancer: estimation with large number of cases at two large centers. Gastric Cancer 2000;3:219–225. CrossRef
- Tanigawa N, Nomura E, Mabuchi H, Lee SW, Yoshinaka T. Laparoscopic (assisted) distal gastrectomy for cancer; from a positive viewpoint (in Japanese). Geka Chiryo 2007;69:630–636.
- Schuhmacher CP, Fink U, Becker K, Busch R, Dittler HJ, Mueller J, et al. Neoadjuvant therapy for patients with locally advanced gastric carcinoma with etoposide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin. Closing results after 5 years of follow-up. Cancer 2001;91: 918–927. CrossRef
- Yoshida I, Sakurai Y, Komori Y, Tonomura S, Masui T, Shoji M, et al. Successful downstaging by S-1-based chemotherapy followed by surgical resections for gastric carcinoma with extensive distant lymph node metastasis: report of two cases and a review of cases with surgical resection after downstaging by S-1-based chemotherapy. Hepatogastroenterology 2005;52:978–984.
- Harisinghani MG, Saksena MA, Hahn PF, King B, Kim J, Torabi MT, et al. Ferumoxtran-10-enhanced MR lymphangiography: does contrast-enhanced imaging alone suffice for accurate lymph node characterization? AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006;186: 144–148. CrossRef
- Evaluation of lymph node metastases in gastric cancer using magnetic resonance imaging with ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO): diagnostic performance in post-contrast images using new diagnostic criteria
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 194-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO)
- Lymph node metastasis
- Gastric cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka Medical College, 2-7 Daigaku-machi, Takatsuki, Osaka, 569-8686, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Osaka Medical College, Osaka, Japan