Evidence-based optimization of the management of intracranial atherosclerotic disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The recently published article in Neurological Sciences by Mattioni et al.  titled ‘Prevalence of intracranial large artery stenosis and occlusion in patients with acute ischaemic stroke or TIA’ was very interesting. The authors retrospectively evaluated all consecutive patients who presented with an ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) and also underwent computed tomography angiography (CTA) in the emergency room of a single institution in The Netherlands over a 2-year span. Of the 220 patients included for analysis, 39 % were found to have intracranial atherosclerotic disease (ICAD) including 35 % with intracranial arterial occlusion, 6 % with stenosis, and 2 % with both. Multivariate analysis identified only extracranial carotid disease and partial or total anterior circulation syndromes as predictors of symptomatic ICAD.
Given the contribution of ICAD to ischemic cerebrovascular disease, optimizing its management has been the source of significant debate ...
- Mattioni, A, Cenciarelli, S, Biessels, GJ, Seeters, T, Algra, A, Ricci, S (2013) Prevalence of intracranial large artery stenosis and occlusion in patients with acute ischaemic stroke or TIA. Neurol Sci.
- Chimowitz, MI, Lynn, MJ, Howlett-Smith, H, Stern, BJ, Hertzberg, VS, Frankel, MR, Levine, SR, Chaturvedi, S, Kasner, SE, Benesch, CG, Sila, CA, Jovin, TG, Romano, JG (2005) Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis. N Engl J Med 352: pp. 1305-1316 CrossRef
- Ding, D, Liu, KC (2011) Applications of stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis. Neurosurg Focus 30: pp. E15 CrossRef
- Fiorella, D, Levy, EI, Turk, AS, Albuquerque, FC, Niemann, DB, Aagaard-Kienitz, B, Hanel, RA, Woo, H, Rasmussen, PA, Hopkins, LN, Masaryk, TJ, McDougall, CG (2007) US multicenter experience with the Wingspan stent system for the treatment of intracranial atheromatous disease: periprocedural results. Stroke 38: pp. 881-887 CrossRef
- Costalat, V, Maldonado, IL, Vendrell, JF, Riquelme, C, Machi, P, Arteaga, C, Turjman, F, Desal, H, Sedat, J, Bonafe, A (2011) Endovascular treatment of symptomatic intracranial stenosis with the Wingspan stent system and Gateway PTA balloon: a multicenter series of 60 patients with acute and midterm results. J Neurosurg 115: pp. 686-693 CrossRef
- Ding, D, Starke, RM, Crowley, RW, Liu, KC (2013) Role of stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis in the post-SAMMPRIS era. Biomed Res Int 2013: pp. 304320
- Evidence-based optimization of the management of intracranial atherosclerotic disease
Volume 35, Issue 8 , pp 1311-1312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors