RETRACTED ARTICLE: Vertebroplasty: a point of view on this surgical treatment
- Saccomanni Bernardino
- … show all 1 hide
Two randomized controlled trials have shown no significant differences in outcome between vertebroplasty and a sham procedure in patients with back pain and vertebral fracture. What conclusions can be drawn from these results?
In August 2009, the New England Journal of Medicine published the results of two randomized controlled trials of vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures [1, 2]. The findings have generated significant national and international interest both because of a recent dramatic increase in the number of vertebroplasty procedures performed in the US and Europe , and because the studies failed to show significant differences in the outcomes of the treatment and control groups.
The study by Buchbinder et al.  was performed at four sites in Australia. Of the 468 patients assessed for eligibility, 78 were randomly assigned to receive either vertebroplasty or a sham intervention. The sham procedure involved inserting a needle down to th ...
- Buchbinder R et al (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 361:557–568 CrossRef
- Kallmes DF et al (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med 361:569–579 CrossRef
- Weinstein JN (2009) Balancing science and informed choice in decisions about vertebroplasty. N Engl J Med 361:619–621 CrossRef
- Rousing R, Andersen MO, Jespersen SM, Thomsem K, Lauritsen J (2009) Percutaneous vertebroplasty compared to conservative treatment in patients with painful acute or subacute vertebral compression fractures: three month follow-up in a clinical randomized study. Spine 34:1349–1354 CrossRef
- Diamond TH, Champion DB, Clark WA (2003) Management of acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a nonrandomized trial comparing percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapy. Am J Med 114:257–265 CrossRef
- Alvarez L et al (2006) Percutaneous vertebroplasty. Functional improvements in patients with osteoporotic compression fractures. Spine 31:1113–1118 CrossRef
- Wardlaw D et al (2009) Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 373:1016–1024 CrossRef
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Vertebroplasty: a point of view on this surgical treatment
Volume 29, Issue 12 , pp 1341-1343
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University of Chieti, via de Vestini, Chieti Scalo, 66013, Italy