High Efficiency Electrically-Addressable Phase-Only Spatial Light Modulator
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To realize a high efficiency electrically addressable phase-only modulator, we have coupled a liquid crystal display (LCD) to an optically addressed parallel-aligned nematic liquid crystal spatial light modulator (PAL-SLM) with a set of lenses. Phase modulation exceeding 3ϖ at 532 nm wavelength was obtained. We obtained linear transfer characteristics for phase modulation at various desired phase levels after calibration and adjustment of the transfer characteristics of the PAL-SLM and the LCD. Diffraction efficiency of 40% for binary phase grating and of 90% for 8-level blazed phase grating, which were very close to the simulation values, were observed. The power loss of the readout light was caused when passed through a half mirror, therefore, we examined a setup using an oblique readout light at the modulator. Very high diffraction efficiency was obtained from the setup by optimizing the polarization direction and optical path for this light, and the orientation of liquid crystals. Since the modulator can perform at better than 90% diffraction efficiency and at nearly 100% reflectivity, various high efficiency systems utilizing such modulators are expected.
- J. L. Homer and P. D. Gianino: Appl. Opt. 23 (1984) 812.
- H. Toyoda, Y. Kobayashi, N. Mukohzaka, N. Yoshida, Y. Igasaki and T. Hara: 1996 International Topical Meeting on Optical Computing (1996) OThB3.
- A. Kirk, T. Tabata and M. Ishikawa and H. Toyoda: Opt. Commun. 105 (1994) 302. CrossRef
- J. Gluckstad, L. Lading, H. Toyoda and T. Hara: Opt. Lett. 22 (1997) 1373.
- N. Mukohzaka, N. Yoshida, H. Toyoda, Y. Kobayashi and T. Hara: Appl. Opt. 33 (1994) 2804.
- T. H. Barnes, T. Eiju and K. Matsuda: Opt. Commun. 132 (1996) 494. CrossRef
- F. Li, N. Mukohzaka, N. Yoshida, Y. Igasaki, H. Toyoda, T. Inoue, Y. Kobayashi and T. Hara: Opt. Rev. 5 (1998) 174. CrossRef
- Y. Igasaki, N. Yoshida, H. Toyoda, Y. Kobayashi, N. Mukohzaka and T. Hara: Opt. Rev. 4 (1997) 167.
- High Efficiency Electrically-Addressable Phase-Only Spatial Light Modulator
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 339-344
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- spatial light modulator
- liquid crystal display
- phase-only modulator
- diffraction efficiency
- oblique incident
- phase modulation
- amorphous silicon
- liquid crystal
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Central Research Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., 5000, Hirakuchi, Hamakita, 434-8601, Japan
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Modern Optical Instrumentation, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, China