Phase Modulation Characteristics Analysis of Optically-Addressed Parallel-Aligned Nematic Liquid Crystal Phase-Only Spatial Light Modulator Combined with a Liquid Crystal Display
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An optically addressed parallel-aligned nematic-liquid-crystal spatial light modulator (PAL-SLM) has been studied as a dynamic phase-only light modulation device. The phase modulation characteristics of the PAL-SLM using a liquid crystal display (LCD) as an addressing mask were investigated by analyzing diffraction efficiencies resulting from binary gratings projected from the LCD. A more than 2π phase-only modulation depth was achieved. The highest first-order diffraction efficiency of approximately 38% was also obtained; this is close to the theoretical limit. The experimental results of diffraction efficiencies depending on the phase modulation depth are in good agreement with the simulation for the system operation.
- J.L. Homer and P.D. Gianino: Appl. Opt. 23 (1984) 812.
- P.S. Erbach, D.A. Gregory and J.B. Hammock: Appl. Opt. 35 (1996) 3091.
- T.H. Barnes, T. Eiju, K. Matsuda and N. Ooyama: Appl. Opt. 28 (1989) 4845.
- A. Kirk, T. Tabata and M. Ishikawa: Opt. Commun. 105 (1994) 302. CrossRef
- J. Glückstad, L. Lading, H. Toyoda and T. Hara: Opt. Lett. 22 (1997) 1373.
- N. Konforti, E. Marom and S.T. Wu: Opt. Commun. 13 (1988) 251.
- H. Ichikawa: Opt. Rev. 4 (1997) 395. CrossRef
- N. Mukohzaka, N. Yoshida, H. Toyoda, Y. Kobayashi and T. Hara: Appl. Opt. 33 (1994) 2804.
- N. Yoshida, H. Toyoda, Y. Igasaki, N. Mukohzaka, Y. Kobayashi and T. Hara: 1996 International Topical Meeting on Optical Computing (1996) OTuB8.
- R. Magnusson and T.K. Gaylord: J. Opt. Soc. Am. 68 (1978) 806.
- F. Pérennès and Z.Y. Wu: Appl. Opt. 36 (1997) 3825.
- Phase Modulation Characteristics Analysis of Optically-Addressed Parallel-Aligned Nematic Liquid Crystal Phase-Only Spatial Light Modulator Combined with a Liquid Crystal Display
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 174-178
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- spatial light modulator
- liquid crystal
- amorphous silicon
- phase modulation
- liquid crystal display
- diffraction efficiency
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Central Research Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., 5000, Hirakuchi, Hamakita, Shizuoka, 434-8601, Japan
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Modern Optical Instrumentation, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, P.R. China