Consistency of the Surface Roughness Determined from Soft-X-Ray Reflectance and Surface Profiles Measured Using a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope: Coherence Length of the Soft X-Rays
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There exists serious inconsistency between the rms surface roughness determined from the Debye-Waller factor for the soft-x-ray reflectance analysis and that measured with an optical surface profiler. We have measured the surface profile of evaporated films using a scanning tunnelling microscope, and reproduce the profile with the Fourier components whose spatial wavelength is shorter than the coherence length of the incident soft x-rays in the reflectance measurement. The rms surface roughness derived from the high-pass filtered profile agrees well with that determined using the reflectance measurement. This result explains straightforwardly the photon-energy dependence of the surface roughness estimated by the soft-x-ray reflectance method.
- B.L. Henke, E.M. Gullikson and J.C. Davis: At. Data Nucl. Data Tables 54 (1993) 181, and a disket containing the data (1993).
- M. Yanagihara, J. Cao, M. Yamamoto, A. Arai, S. Nakayama, T. Mizuide and T. Namioka: Appl. Opt. 30 (1991) 2807.
- T. Maehara, M. Yanagihara, M. Yamamoto and T. Namioka: Nucl. Instrum. Methods B74 (1993) 362.
- J. Cao, M. Yanagihara, M. Yamamoto, Y. Goto and T. Namioka: Appl. Opt. 33 (1994) 2013.
- H.E. Bennett and J.O. Porteus: J. Opt. Soc. Am. 51 (1961) 123.
- A. Segmuller: Thin Solid Films 18 (1973) 287. CrossRef
- D.L. Windt, W.K. Waskiewicz and J.E. Griffith: Appl. Opt 33 (1994) 2025.
- J.A. Ogilvy: Theory of Wave Scattering from Random Rough Surfaces (IOP Publishing, Bristol, 1992) p. 73.
- M. Born and E. Wolf: Principles of Optics (Pergamon, Oxford, 1970) 4th ed., pp. 393, 511.
- H. Kimura, M. Yamamoto, M. Yanagihara, T. Maehara and T. Namioka: Rev. Sci. Instrum. 63 (1992) 1379. CrossRef
- Consistency of the Surface Roughness Determined from Soft-X-Ray Reflectance and Surface Profiles Measured Using a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope: Coherence Length of the Soft X-Rays
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 65-70
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- surface roughness
- soft x-ray
- coherence length
- Industry Sectors