Lidar Multiple Scattering in Water Droplet Clouds: Toward an Improved Treatment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although it has long been recognized that the effects of photon multiple scattering generally need to be accounted for in the analysis of lidar cloud returns, this is a difficult problem and current approaches are still rudimentary. The multiple scattering process is controlled by the size of the lidar beamwidth and the distance to the cloud, which jointly determine the lidar footprint, but cloud microphysical content (i.e., particle size, concentration, and shape) exerts a strong influence on the range distribution and depolarization of the returned energy. Since clouds are inherently inhomogeneous with height, it is our premise that vertically homogeneous cloud simulations based on idealized particle size distributions lead to misleading results. We offer a more realistic approach based on the contents of growing water droplet clouds predicted by a sophisticated adiabatic cloud model, which are offered for use as new standard vertically-inhomogeneous cloud models. Lidar returned signal and depolarization profiles derived from our analytical double-scattering method are given for inter-comparison purposes.
- Schotland, R.M., Sassen, K., Stone, R.J. (1992) J. Appl. Meteorol. 10: pp. 2914
- Pal, S.R., Carswell, A.I. (1973) Appl. Opt. 12: pp. 1530
- Sassen, K. (1991) Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 72: pp. 1848 CrossRef
- Shipley, S.T., Eloranta, E.W., Weinman, J.A. (1972) J. Appl. Aerosol Sci. 3: pp. 455 CrossRef
- Carswell, A.I., Pal, S.R. (1980) Appl. Opt. 19: pp. 4123
- Pal, S.R., Carswell, A.I. (1985) Appl. Opt. 24: pp. 3464
- Sassen, K., Zhao, H., Dodd, G.C. (1992) Appl. Opt. 31: pp. 2914
- Sassen, K., Liou, K.N. (1979) J. Atmos. Sci. 36: pp. 852 CrossRef
- Sassen, K. (1976) J. Appl. Meteorol. 15: pp. 292 CrossRef
- K. Sassen and H. Zhao: Proc. MUSCLE 4 (1991) p. 22.
- Liao, L., Sassen, K. (1994) Atmos. Res. 34: pp. 231
- Sassen, K., Dodd, G.C. (1988) J. Atmos. Sci. 45: pp. 1357 CrossRef
- Hanel, G. (1972) Aerosol Sci. 3: pp. 455 CrossRef
- Sassen, K., Petrilla, R.L. (1986) Appl. Opt. 25: pp. 1450
- U. Wandinger: Ph. D. Dissertation, University of Hamburg (1994) p. 125.
- Sassen, K., Zhao, H. (1993) J. Appl. Meteorol. 32: pp. 1548 CrossRef
- Deirmendjian, D. (1969) Electromagnetic Scattering on Spherical Polydispersions. American Elsevier, New York
- L. Bissonnette: Defence Research Establishment Valcartier, Electro-Optics Division, P.O. Box 8800, Courcelette, P.Q., GOA 1RO Canada (Fax: 418-844-4511, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lidar Multiple Scattering in Water Droplet Clouds: Toward an Improved Treatment
Volume 2, Issue 5 , pp 394-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- multiple scattering
- cloud studies
- Industry Sectors