New collection systems for multi LED light engines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Light emitting diodes (LEDs) have numerous advantages as light sources in projectors. LEDs are more compact, exhibit a larger color gamut, have a longer lifetime, and need a lower supply voltage. However, there is still one important disadvantage: the optical power per unit of étendue (luminance) of an LED is significantly low. As a result of the étendue limitations of LEDs, the projected flux on the screen will not be high. Despite this shortcoming, LED’s are still of great interest for low power applications because of their other superior properties. Thus we collect the available light flux optimally and combine multiple high luminance LEDs within the system. In this study we discuss three collection systems designed to collect the LED flux with high optical efficiency while retaining small device size. The best collection efficiency attained with our collection systems is 96%. The fabrication tolerance and cost of our collection systems are also analyzed.
- H. Murat, H. De Smet, D. Cuypers, Y. Meuret, H. Thienpont, M. Vervaeke, and L. Desmet: Proc. SPIE 5740 (2005) 1. CrossRef
- G. Harber, M. Keuper, and S. Paolini: Proc. 10th Int. Display Workshop, IDW’ 03, LAD3-4, Fukuoka, 2003, p. 1585.
- E. Geißler: Proc. SPIE 6196 (2006) 619601. CrossRef
- G. Benedix and E. Piehler: U.S. Patent 6844984 (2005).
- M. P. Krijn, B. A. Salters, and O. H. Willemsen: Proc. SPIE 6196 (2006) 619602. CrossRef
- Breault Research Organization [http://www.breault.com].
- OSTAR Projection at Osram Opto semiconductors [http://catalog.osram-os.com].
- ASAP technical guide, Edge in ASAP [http://www.breault.com/k-base.php?kbaseID=29&catID=44&page=1//www.breault.com].
- R. E. Fisher and B. Tadic-Galeb: Optical System Design (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000).
- New collection systems for multi LED light engines
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 318-322
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Optical Society of Japan
- Additional Links
- pocket size projector
- collection system
- light emitting diode (LED) light source
- light engine
- collection system
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Optics and Photonics, National Central University, Jhongli, 32001, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 1. Institute of Opto-Electronic Engineering, National Dong Hwa University, Hualien, 97401, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 2. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University, Jhongli, 32023, Taiwan, R.O.C.