Optical Glucose Monitoring Based on Femtosecond Two-Color Pulse Interferometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We demonstrate the potential of femtosecond two-color pulse interferometry for in vitro optical glucose monitoring, by dispersion of the group refractive index in a glucose solution sample with respect to a red-color light and a blue-color light. By comparison with femtosecond one-color pulse interferometry, the basic performance of the present system with regard to sensitivity, quantitativeness, and tolerance to surrounding disturbances, is evaluated. The resulting accuracy and precision of glucose determination are 77 and 118mg/dl for 10-mm-sample-thickness, respectively. This near-common-path configuration of the two-color pulse light provides good stability to fluctuations of sample temperature, which is important in clinical applications. Considering the performance of femtosecond two-color pulse interferometry as an optical glucose sensor, a suitable measurement site for in vivo optical glucose monitoring is discussed.
- H. Zeller, P. Novak and R. Landgraf: Int. J. Artif. Organs 12 (1989) 129.
- G. L. Coté and B. D. Cameron: J. Biomed. Opt. 2 (1997) 275.
- S. Y. Wang, C. E. Hasty, P. A. Watson, J. P. Wicksted, R. D. Stith and W. F. March: Appl. Opt. 32 (1993) 925.
- D. Huang, E. A. Swanson, C. P. Lin, J. S. Schuman, W. G. Stinson, W. Chang, M. R. Hee, T. Flotte, K. Gregory, C. A. Puliafito and J. G. Fujimoto: Science 254 (1991) 1178.
- K. M. Yoo, Q. Zing and R. R. Alfano: Opt. Lett. 16 (1991) 1019.
- Y. Hori, T. Yasui and T. Araki: Opt. Rev. 12 (2005) 202. CrossRef
- K. Minoshima and H. Matsumoto: Opt. Commun. 138 (1997) 6. CrossRef
- W. F. March, B. Rabinovitch and R. L. Adams: Diabetes Care 5 (1982) 259.
- C. Chou, C. Y. Han, W. C. Kuo, Y. C. Huang, C. M. Feng and J. C. Shyu: Appl. Opt. 37 (1998) 3553.
- Optical Glucose Monitoring Based on Femtosecond Two-Color Pulse Interferometry
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 29-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- femtosecond two-color pulse light
- multiple scattering
- coherence gate
- group refractive index
- Industry Sectors