Wave Localization of Doubly Periodic Guided-mode Resonant Grating Filters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is known that a doubly periodic guided-mode resonant grating (GMRG) filter has a broad angular selectivity with a narrow spectral bandwidth. This means that the doubly periodic GMRG filter operates for small beam diameter and grating area. This report describes the wave localization in the doubly periodic GMRG filter. We investigated the spread area of light waves in the waveguide layer and the accumulation of field energy by numerical simulation using the finite differential time domain (FDTD) method. Simulation results showed that, in the case of a doubly periodic GMRG filter with a Q factor of 600, the field energy is spread over an area 5 um in width, which corresponds to the expected value from the angular tolerance. And the magnitude of the field energy in the waveguide layer was Q factor times greater than the incident energy. On the other hand, a singly periodic GMRG filter with the same Q factor spread the field energy over an area 72 urn in width. This filter does not work for a small size structure or a small diameter light beam.
- R. Magnusson and S. S. Wang: Appl. Phys. Lett. 61 (1992) 1022. CrossRef
- L. Mashev and E. Popov: Opt. Commun. 55 (1985) 377. CrossRef
- Z. S. Liu, S. Tibuleac, D. Shin, P. P. Young and R. Magnusson: Opt. Lett. 23 (1998) 1556.
- R. Magnusson and S. S. Wang: Appl. Opt. 34 (1995) 8106.
- S. S. Wang and R. Magnusson: Opt. Lett. 19 (1994) 919.
- D. Shin, S. Tibuleac, T. A. Maldonado and R. Magnusson: Proc. SPIE 3133 (1997) 273.
- R. Magnusson, D. Shin and Z. S. Liu: Opt. Lett. 23 (1998) 612.
- R. R. Boye and R. K. Kostuk: Appl. Opt. 39 (2000) 3649.
- J. M. Bendickson, E. N. Glytsis, T. K. Gaylord and D. L. Brundrett: J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 18 (2001) 1912.
- D. K. Jacob, S. C. Dunn and M. G. Moharam: J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 18 (2001) 2109.
- F. Lemarchand, S. Sentenac and H. Giovannini: Opt. Lett. 23 (1998) 1149.
- A. Taflove and S. C. Hagness: Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method (Artech House, Boston, London, 2000) 2nd ed.
- M. G. Moharam and T. K. Gaylord: J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 72 (1982) 1385.
- Wave Localization of Doubly Periodic Guided-mode Resonant Grating Filters
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 13-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- wavelength filter
- photonic crystals
- guided-mode resonant grating filter
- doubly periodic grating
- wave localization
- Industry Sectors