Fast Computation of Fresnel Holograms Employing Difference
- Hiroshi Yoshikawa
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We propose an approximation method that can calculate the Fresnel hologram 16 times faster than the conventional method. To compute the hologram, an object is assumed to be a collection of self-illuminated points and the fringes from each object point are superposed. The distance between object point and sampling point on the hologram is used to obtain the phase of the light. Since a sampled hologram usually has small pixel intervals, the difference of the distance values between adjacent pixels is also small and its n-th order difference can be assumed to be constant. Therefore, the distance value at a certain pixel can be obtained from its neighbor with simple additions. The distance error can be reduced less that one wavelength with practical parameters. A hologram, which has a horizontal parallax only, 1.3 Mega-pixels and 1,000 object points, can be calculated in less than one second with a personal computer.
Supplementary Material (0)
- P. St. Hilaire, S. A. Benton, M. Lucente, M. L. Jepsen, J. Kollin, H. Yoshikawa and J. Underkoffler: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 1212 (1990) 174.
- K. Taima, H. Ueda, H. Okamoto, T. Kubota, Y. Kajiki, T. Nakamura, H. Nishida, H. Takahashi and E. Shimizu: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 2176 (1994) 23.
- J. A. Watlington, M. Lucente, C. J. Sparrell, V. M. Bove and I. Tamitani: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 2406 (1995) 172.
- T. Okada, S. Iwata, O. Nishikawa, K. Matsumoto, H. Yoshikawa, K. Sato and T. Honda: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 2577 (1995) 33.
- M. Lucente: J. Electron. Imaging 2 (1993) 28.
- H. Yoshikawa and H. Kameyama: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 2406 (1995) 226.
- M. Lucente: Opt. Eng. 35 (1996) 1529.
- H. Yoshikawa, S. Iwase and T. Oneda: Proc. Soc. Photo-Opt. Instrum. Eng. 3956 (2000) 48.
- J. P. Waters: Appl. Phys. Lett. 9 (1996) 405. CrossRef
About this Article
- Fast Computation of Fresnel Holograms Employing Difference
Volume 8, Issue 5 , pp 331-335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- computer-generated hologram
- fast computation
- holographic television
- 3-D display
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electronics and Computer Science, Nihon University, 7-24-1, Narashinodai, Funabashi, Chiba, 274-8501, Japan