An Accurate Characterization of CRT Monitor (I) Verifications of Past Studies and Clarifications of Gamma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
CRT monitors are widely used to view images on the Internet. The color images on the computer graphic display can be printed out or displayed on other monitors through the Internet, and color matching between the original and the reproduction is very important. The color management systems (CMSs) are useful for the color matching. CMSs utilize device profiles, in which color characteristic information is stored, and these profiles are generated by device characterization. Thus, an accurate characterization of the monitor is essential for better color matching. CRT monitor characteristics can be described by the tone reproduction curves (TRCs) of each channel, and color additive matrix. In this paper, these characteristics were investigated from a physical point of view. Various kinds of flare and the interdependence among the channels were also investigated and verified. The definition of the term “gamma” is clarified, which is very often used to describe the TRC. Various definitions are compared and a new definition of S-γ is proposed.
- International Color Consortium, Spec ICC. 1: 1998-09, File Format for Color Profiles (1998).
- R. S. Berns, R. J. Motta and M. E. Gorzynski: Color Res. Appl. 18 (1993) 299.
- CIE Technical Report 122, #x201C;The Relationship between Digital and Colorimetric Data for Computer Controlled CRT Displays#x201D; (1996).
- ASTM E 1682–96 #x201C;Standard Guide for Modeling the Colorimetric Properties of a Visual Display Unit#x201D; (1996).
- IEC 61966-3 #x201C;Color Measurement and Management in Multimedia Systems and Equipment, Part 3: Equipment using CRT displays#x201D; (2000).
- M. Anderson, R. Motta, S. Chandrasekar, and M. Stokes: Proc. IS#x0027;T/SID Color Imaging Conf. 4 (1996) 238.
- IEC 61966-2.1 #x201C;Color Measurement and Management in Multimedia Systems and Equipment, Part 2.1: Default RGB Colour Space-sRGB#x201D; (1999).
- C. D. Child: Phys. Rev. 32 (1911) 492.
- I. Langmuir: Phys. Rev. 2 (1913) 450. CrossRef
- F. Hurter and V. C. Driffield: J. Soc. Chem. Ind. (1890) 455.
- N. Katoh and T. Deguchi: Proc. IS#x0026;T/SID Color Imaging Conf. 5 (1997) 33.
- T. Deguchi and N. Katoh: Proc. SPIE 3300 (1998) 219.
- I. Ohishi, T. Okoshi and N. Nakayama: Image Display (Corona Publishing Co., Ltd., Tokyo, 1975) 2nd ed., p. 15 (in Japanese).
- C. A. Poynton: A Technical Introduction to Digital Video by Charles Poynton (John Wiley #x0026; Sons, New York, 1996).
- T. Deguchi, N. Katoh and R. S. Berns: SID Digest (1999) p. 786.
- B. M. Oliver: Proc. IRE 38 (1950) 315.
- A. Roberts: EBU Tech. Rev. (1993) 32.
- T. Olson: SMPTE J. 104 (1995) 452.
- C. A. Poynton: SMPTE J. 102 (1993) 1099.
- E. J. Giogianni and T. E. Madden: Digital Color Management: Encoding Solutions (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA 1997).
- R. J. Motta: Proc. SPIE 1909 (1993) 212.
- T. Ino and M. Miyahara: J. Inst. Image Inf. Telev. Eng. 52 (1998) 1860.
- R. W. G. Hunt: The Reproduction of Colour in Photography, Printing #x0026; Television (Fountain Press, Kingston-upon-Thames, 1995) Fifth ed.
- E. F. Kelly, G. R. Jones and T. A. Germer: Infor. Display 10/98 (1998) 24.
- R. S. Berns and N. Katoh: Proc. CIE Expert Symposium (1997) p. 34.
- L. J. Barco, J. A. Diaz, J. R. Jimenez and M. Rubino: Color Res. Appl. 20 (1995) 377.
- P. Bodrogi and J. Schanda: Displays 16 (1995) 123. CrossRef
- N. Katoh, T. Deguchi and R. S. Berns: Opt. Rev. 8 (2001) 397.
- An Accurate Characterization of CRT Monitor (I) Verifications of Past Studies and Clarifications of Gamma
Volume 8, Issue 5 , pp 305-314
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- color management
- device characterization
- CRT monitor
- tone reproduction
- viewing flare
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. PNC Development Center, Sony Corporation, 2-15-3, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-6201, Japan
- 2. Munsell Color Science Laboratory, Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, Rochester Institute of Technology, 54 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623-5604, USA