Randomised clinical trial comparing lightweight mesh with heavyweight mesh for inguinal hernioplasty
- C. NikkoloAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital
- , U. LepnerAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital Email author
- , M. MurrusteAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital
- , T. VaasnaAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital
- , H. SeepterAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital
- , T. TikkAffiliated withClinic of Surgery, Tartu University Hospital
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the present randomised clinical study was to compare the incidence of post-operative chronic groin pain and the feeling of a foreign body after inguinal hernioplasty with lightweight (LW) and heavyweight (HW) mesh, as well as to evaluate the patient’s quality of life after inguinal hernia repair.
A total of 135 patients were randomised into the HW mesh group (66 patients) and the LW mesh group (69 patients). A tension-free repair using the Lichtenstein technique was performed on all patients. Pain scores were measured on a visual analogue scale. To evaluate the patient’s quality of life, the Medical Outcomes Study Short-Form (SF) 36 questionnaire was completed by the patient.
There were significantly more patients with pain at rest in the HW mesh group than in the LW mesh group at 6 months follow-up (6.3 vs. 0%, P = 0.038). The feeling of a foreign body at the operation site was experienced by 32.8% of the patients in the HW group and by 20.9% of the patients in the LW group after 6 post-operative months (P = 0.123). There were no significant differences in any dimension of quality of life on the SF36 between the two study groups 6 months after surgery.
Our study shows that, compared with HW mesh, LW mesh has some advantages in reducing chronic groin pain at the operation site after inguinal hernioplasty. According to our study, there was no difference in the feeling of a foreign body and in the quality of life between the two study groups.
KeywordsInguinal hernia Lightweight mesh Lichtenstein hernioplasty Chronic pain Quality of life
- Randomised clinical trial comparing lightweight mesh with heavyweight mesh for inguinal hernioplasty
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 253-258
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Inguinal hernia
- Lightweight mesh
- Lichtenstein hernioplasty
- Chronic pain
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors