Amyand’s hernia: history, imaging, and management
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Amyand’s hernia is an inguinal hernia containing vermiform appendix. We report a case of this rare condition, diagnostic findings, and management considerations. A short review and history of Amyand’s hernia is presented as well.
A literature search from Medline was done, and the published articles were reviewed. A case of Amyand’s hernia, which was recently managed by the authors, was studied and the data reviewed.
Diagnosis of the Amyand’s hernia is usually made intraoperatively. The majority of the existing literature recommends doing open or laparoscopic appendectomy with open repair of the inguinal hernia, although some authors advise mesh repair of the hernia if the appendix is normal.
Amyand’s hernia can be a challenge for the surgeon. We recommend laparoscopic appendectomy and open repair of the inguinal hernia without using mesh.
- Amyand C (1736) Of an inguinal rupture, with a pin in the appendix caeci,incrusted with stone, and some observations on wounds in the guts. Philos Transact R Soc Lon 39:329–336 CrossRef
- Sharma H, Gupta A, Shekhawat NS, Memon B, Memon MA (2007) Amyand’s hernia: a report of 18 consecutive patients over a 15-year period. Hernia 11(1):31–35 CrossRef
- Ash L, Hatem S, Ramirez GA, Veniero J (2005) Amyand’s hernia: a case report of prospective CT diagnosis in the emergency department. Emergency Radiol 11(4):231–232 CrossRef
- Kidmas AT, Iya D, Yilkudi MG, Nnadozie U (2004) Acute appendicitis in inguinal hernia: report of two cases. East Afr Med J 81(9):490–491
- D’Alia C, Lo Schiavo MG, Tonante A, Taranto F, Gagliano E, Bonanno L, DiGiuseppe G, Pagano D, Sturniolo G (2003) Amyand’s hernia: case report and review of the literature. Hernia 7(2):89–91 CrossRef
- Amyand’s hernia: history, imaging, and management
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 321-322
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Amyand’s hernia
- Inguinal hernia
- Claudius Amyand
- Industry Sectors