April 2010, Volume 13, Issue 4, pp 147-152,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 25 Apr 2010
Multigrid convergence: a brief trip down memory lane
We make a brief algebraic survey of the highlights of the classical convergence theory for multigrid methods, in particular, the multigrid V-cycle.
Bank: The work of this author was supported by the National Science Foundation under contract DMS-0915220, and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation through a Humboldt Research Award.
Yserentant: The work of this author was supported by the DFGResearch Center MATHEON.
Dedicated to Professor Wolfgang Hackbusch on the occasion of his 60th birthday
- Bank, R.E., Dupont, T. (1981) An optimal order process for solving elliptic finite element equations. Math. Comp. 36: pp. 35-51 CrossRef
- Braess, D., Hackbusch, W. (1983) A new convergence proof for the multigrid method including the V cycle. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 20: pp. 967-975 CrossRef
- Bramble, J.H., Zhang, X.: The analysis of multigrid methods, in Handbook of numerical analysis, vol. VII, pp. 173–415. North- Holland, Amsterdam (2000)
- Hackbusch, W. (1980) Convergence of multi–grid iterations applied to difference equations. Math. Comp. 34: pp. 425-440 CrossRef
- Hackbusch, W. (1985) Multigrid Methods and Applications, vol. 4 of Springer Series in Computational Mathematics. Springer, Berlin
- Xu, J. (1992) Iterative methods by space decomposition and subspace correction. SIAM Rev. 34: pp. 581-613 CrossRef
- Yserentant, H.: Old and new convergence proofs for multigrid methods. In: Acta Numerica, 1993, pp. 285–326. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1993)
- Multigrid convergence: a brief trip down memory lane
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Computing and Visualization in Science
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 147-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Multigrid convergence
- Industry Sectors