Numerical performance of a parallel solution method for a heterogeneous 2D Helmholtz equation
The parallel performance of a numerical solution method for the scalar 2D Helmholtz equation written for inhomogeneous media is studied. The numerical solution is obtained by an iterative method applied to the preconditioned linear system which has been derived from a finite difference discretization. The preconditioner is approximately inverted using multigrid iterations. Parallel execution is implemented using the MPI library. Only a few iterations are required to solve numerically the so-called full Marmousi problem [Bourgeois, A., et al. in The Marmousi Experience, Proceedings of the 1990 EAEG Workshop on Practical Aspects of Seismic Data Inversion: Eur. Assoc. Expl. Geophys., pp. 5–16 (1991)] for the high frequency range.
- Numerical performance of a parallel solution method for a heterogeneous 2D Helmholtz equation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Computing and Visualization in Science
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 139-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Acoustical Imaging & Sound Control, Delft University of Technology, Lorentzweq 1, 2628 CJ, Delft, The Netherlands
- 3. Numerical Analysis Group, Delft Institute of Applied Mathematics, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 136, 2628 BL, Delft, The Netherlands
- 2. Computational Physics Group, PCMT, DelftChem, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 136, 2628 BL, Delft, The Netherlands