Current management of dentin hypersensitivity
The aim of the article was to present an overview of the management strategies of dentin hypersensitivity (DHS) and summarize and discuss the therapeutic options.
Materials and methods
A PubMed literature search was conducted to identify articles dealing with dentin hypersensitivity prophylaxis and treatment. We focussed on meta-analyses of available or controlled clinical trials.
DHS therapy should start with noninvasive individual prophylactic home-care approaches. In-office therapy follows with nerve desensitizing, precipitating, or plugging agents. If the hypersensitivity persists, depending on the hard and soft tissue components at reevaluation, i.e., presence or absence of cervical lesions and the gingival contour, adhesive restorations including sealing or mucogingival surgery may be an option. They allow for the establishment of a physicomechanical barrier. As the placebo effect may play an important role, adequate patient management strategies and positive reinforcement may improve the management of DHS in the future.
Lifelong maintenance under the premise of strict control of the causative factors is crucial in the management of DHS.
Clinicians are faced with a broad spectrum of therapeutic options. Therapy should not only focus on pain reduction or better elimination but also on the modification of the exposed cervical dentin area based on the defect type.
- Splieth CH, Tachou A (2012) Epidemiology of dentin hypersensitivity. doi:10.1007/s00784-012-0889-8
- West NX, Lussi A, Seong J, Hellwig E (2012) Dentin hypersensitivity: pain mechanisms and aetiology of exposed cervical dentin. Clin Oral Invest. doi:10.1007/s00784-012-0887-x
- Gillam DG (2012) Current diagnosis of dentin hypersensitivity in the dental office: an overview. Clin Oral Invest. doi:10.1007/s00784-012-0911-1
- Gernhardt CR (2012) How valid and applicable are current diagnostic criteria and assessment methods for dentin hypersensitivity? An overview. Clin Oral Invest. doi:10.1007/s00784-012-0891-1
- Jeffcoat MK (1994) Prevention of periodontal diseases in adults: strategies for the future. Prev Med 23(5):704–708 CrossRef
- Orchardson R, Gillam DG (2000) The efficacy of potassium salts as agents for treating dentin hypersensitivity. J Orofac Pain 14(1):9–19
- Poulsen S, Errboe M, Hovgaard O, Worthington HW (2001) Potassium nitrate toothpaste for dentine hypersensitivity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2):D001476
- Kakaboura A, Rahiotis C, Thomaidis S, Doukoudakis S (2005) Clinical effectiveness of two agents on the treatment of tooth cervical hypersensitivity. Am J Dent 18(4):291–295
- Schupbach P, Lutz F, Finger WJ (1997) Closing of dentinal tubules by Gluma desensitizer. Eur J Oral Sci 105(5):414–421
- Duran I, Sengun A, Yildirim T, Ozturk B (2005) In vitro dentine permeability evaluation of HEMA-based (desensitizing) products using split-chamber model following in vivo application in the dog. J Oral Rehabil 32(1):34–38 CrossRef
- Schmidlin PR, Zehnder M, Gohring TN, Waltimo TM (2004) Glutaraldehyde in bonding systems disinfects dentin in vitro. J Adhes Dent 6(1):61–64
- Stawarczyk B, Hartmann R, Hartmann L, Roos M, Ozcan M, Sailer I, Hammerle CH (2011) The effect of dentin desensitizer on shear bond strength of conventional and self-adhesive resin luting cements after aging. Oper Dent 36(5):492–501 CrossRef
- Arenholt-Bindslev D, Horsted-Bindslev P, Philipsen HP (1987) Toxic effects of two dental materials on human buccal epithelium in vitro and monkey buccal mucosa in vivo. Scand J Dent Res 95(6):467–474
- Schweikl H, Schmalz G (1997) Glutaraldehyde-containing dentin bonding agents are mutagens in mammalian cells in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res 36(3):284–288 CrossRef
- Cunha-Cruz J, Stout JR, Heaton LJ, Wataha JC (2011) Dentin hypersensitivity and oxalates: a systematic review. J Dent Res 90(3):304–310 CrossRef
- Cummins D (2010) Recent advances in dentin hypersensitivity: clinically proven treatments for instant and lasting sensitivity relief. Am J Dent 23(Spec No A):3A–13A
- Gendreau L, Barlow AP, Mason SC (2011) Overview of the clinical evidence for the use of NovaMin in providing relief from the pain of dentin hypersensitivity. J Clin Dent 22(3):90–95
- Hughes N, Mason S, Jeffery P, Welton H, Tobin M, O'Shea C, Browne M (2010) A comparative clinical study investigating the efficacy of a test dentifrice containing 8 % strontium acetate and 1040 ppm sodium fluoride versus a marketed control dentifrice containing 8 % arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm sodium monofluorophosphate in reducing dentinal hypersensitivity. J Clin Dent 21(2):49–55
- Ritter AV, de L Dias W, Miguez P, Caplan DJ, Swift EJJ (2006) Treating cervical dentin hypersensitivity with fluoride varnish: a randomized clinical study. J Am Dent Assoc 137(7):1013–1020
- Gaffar A (1999) Treating hypersensitivity with fluoride varnish. Compend Contin Educ Dent 20(1 Suppl):27–33
- Ozen T, Orhan K, Avsever H, Tunca YM, Ulker AE, Akyol M (2009) Dentin hypersensitivity: a randomized clinical comparison of three different agents in a short-term treatment period. Oper Dent 34(1):392–398 CrossRef
- Sgolastra F, Petrucci A, Gatto R, Monaco A (2011) Effectiveness of laser in dentinal hypersensitivity treatment: a systematic review. J Endod 37(3):297–303 CrossRef
- Ipci SD, Cakar G, Kuru B, Yilmaz S (2009) Clinical evaluation of lasers and sodium fluoride gel in the treatment of dentine hypersensitivity. Photomed Laser Surg 27(1):85–91 CrossRef
- Aparna S, Setty S, Thakur S (2010) Comparative efficacy of two treatment modalities for dentinal hypersensitivity: a clinical trial. Indian J Dent Res 21(4):544–548 CrossRef
- Swift EJJ, May KNJ, Mitchell S (2001) Clinical evaluation of Prime & Bond 2.1 for treating cervical dentin hypersensitivity. Am J Dent 14(1):13–16
- Schneider F, Hellwig E, Attin T (2008) Influences of acid action and brushing abrasion on dentin protection by adhesive systems. Dtsch Zahnärztl Zeitschr 57:302–306
- Chambrone L, Pannuti CM, Tu YK, Chambrone LA (2011) Evidence-based periodontal plastic surgery. II. An individual data meta-analysis for evaluating factors in achieving complete root coverage. J Periodontol 83(4):477–490 CrossRef
- Moseley JB, O'Malley K, Petersen NJ, Menke TJ, Brody BA, Kuykendall DH, Hollingsworth JC, Ashton CM, Wray NP (2002) A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. N Engl J Med 347(2):81–88 CrossRef
- Huskisson EC (1974) Simple analgesics for arthritis. Br Med J 4(5938):196–200 CrossRef
- Current management of dentin hypersensitivity
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Clinical Oral Investigations
Volume 17, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 55-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Dentin hypersensitivity
- Industry Sectors