“Fatigue” having a role in the pathogenesis of osteonecrosis of the jaws
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 2002, 9 months after zoledronic acid received Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the prevention of cancer-related skeletal events, the FDA received clinicians’ reports describing patients with cancer who had developed a severe and unusual complication, osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ), which was initially ascribed to being a later chemotherapy effect . To date, there is still a lack of knowledge of pathogenesis, prevention and treatment regarding ONJ .
In 2008, another probable complication has been attributed to bisphosphonate use: Atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis have been reported [3, 4] in patients with history of chronic alendronate use. Furthermore, bisphosphonate use has been associated with a unique X-ray pattern in sub-trochanteric/shaft fractures . Based on this evidence, a recent review suggested that both ONJ and atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis may be manifestations of “fatigue” in human bone. In material science, “fatigue” i ...
- Edwards, BJ, Gounder, M, McKoy, JM, Boyd, I, Farrugia, M, Migliorati, C, Marx, R, Ruggiero, S, Dimopoulos, M, Raisch, DW, Singhal, S, Carson, K, Obadina, E, Trifilio, S, West, D, Mehta JBennett, CL (2008) Pharmacovigilance and reporting oversight in us fda fast-track process: bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw. Lancet Oncol 9: pp. 1166-1172 CrossRef
- Hoefert, S, Schmitz, I, Tannapfel AEufinger, H (2009) Importance of microcracks in etiology of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a possible pathogenetic model of symptomatic and non-symptomatic osteonecrosis of the jaw based on scanning electron microscopy findings. Clin Oral Investig.
- Kwek, EB, Koh JSHowe, TS (2008) More on atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis. N Engl J Med 359: pp. 316-317 CrossRef
- Lenart, BA, Lorich DGLane, JM (2008) Atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis in postmenopausal women taking alendronate. N Engl J Med 358: pp. 1304-1306 CrossRef
- Lenart, BA, Neviaser, AS, Lyman, S, Chang, CC, Edobor-Osula, F, Steele, B, Meulen, MC, Lorich DGLane, JM (2008) Association of low-energy femoral fractures with prolonged bisphosphonate use: a case control study. Osteoporos Int.
- Stephens, R (2001) Metal fatigue in engineering. Wiley, New York
- Kyrgidis A, Triaridis S, Vahtsevanos K, Antoniades K. (2009) Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonate use in breast cancer patients. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy 9(8). doi:10.1586/ERA.09.74
- Kyrgidis, A, Triaridis, S, Antoniades, K (2009) Effects of bisphosphonates on keratinocytes and fibroblasts may have a role in the development of osteonecrosis of the jaw. Bioscience Hypotheses 2: pp. 153-159 CrossRef
- “Fatigue” having a role in the pathogenesis of osteonecrosis of the jaws
Clinical Oral Investigations
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 479-480
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors