Treatment of bilateral simultaneous subtrochanteric femur fractures with proximal femoral nail antirotation (PFNA) in a patient with osteopetrosis: case report and review of the literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteopetrosis is a rare, inherited disease characterized by defects in osteoclastic function that results in defective bone resorption . Clinically, it is characterized by dense, sclerotic and deformed bones [1, 2]. The fragility of dense, sclerotic bones leads to an increased incidence of fractures . The fractures most frequently involve the upper third of the femur and the upper third of the tibia . In the past, different treatment modalities had been attempted, but the ideal implant for the treatment of subtrochanteric fractures with osteopetrosis is still a matter for discussion [4–10]. We present a patient with a history of osteopetrosis who was admitted to our hospital with acute bilateral subtrochanteric femur fractures. In the literature, this case is the first report of the use of proximal femur nail antirotation (PFNA) in the treatment of a fracture in a patient with osteopetrosis.
The patient is a 21-year-old female who presented to the emergen ...
- Milgram JW, Jasty M. Osteopetrosis: a morphological study of twenty-one cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982;64:912–29.
- de Palma L, Tulli A, Maccauro G, Sabetta SP, del Torto M. Fracture callus in osteopetrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;308:85–9.
- Golden RD, Rodriguez EK. Management of bilateral subtrochanteric femur fractures with internal fixation and rhbmp-7 in a patient with osteopetrosis. J Med Case Rep. 2010;4:147–50. CrossRef
- Alexander W. Report of a case so-called ‘marble bones’ with a review of the literature and translation of an article. Am J Roentgenol. 1923;10:280–301.
- Hasenthuttl K. Osteopetrosis: review of the literature and comperative studies on a case with a twenty-four-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1962;44:359–70.
- Armstrong DG, Newfield JT, Gillespie R. Orthopedic management of osteopetrosis: results of the survey and review of the literature. J Pediatr Orthop. 1999;19:122–32.
- Gupta R, Gupta NF. Femoral fractures in osteopetrosis: case reports. J Trauma. 2001;51:997–9. CrossRef
- Breck LW, Cornell RC, Emmett JE. Intramedullary fixation of fractures of the femur in case of osteopetrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1957;39:1389–94.
- Kleinberg S. Osteopetrosis. Am J Surg. 1954;87:50–62. CrossRef
- Yang BJ, Chen CF, Lien IN. Rehabilitation of the left femur subtrochanteric fracture in osteopetrosis: a case report. Taiwan Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi. 1980;79:1180–7.
- Chhabra A, Westerlund LE, Kline AJ, McLaughlin R. Management of proximal femoral shaft fractures in osteopetrosis: a case series using internal fixation. Orthopedics. 2005;28:587–98.
- Ashby ME. Total hip arthroplasty in osteopetrosis: a report of two cases. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;276:214–21.
- Sidhom S, Pinder R, Shaw DL, Reverse LISS. plate stabilisation of a subtrochanteric fracture of the femur in patient with osteopetrosis: is this the answer? Injury Extra. 2006;37:113–5. CrossRef
- Amit S, Shehkar A, Vivek M, Shekhar S, Biren N. Fixation of subtrochanteric fractures in two patients with osteopetrosis using a distal femoral locking compression plate of the contralateral side. Eur J Emerg Surg. 2010;3:263–9. CrossRef
- Han N, Sun G, Li Z, Li G, Lu Q, Han Q, Wei X. Comparison of proximal femoral nail antirotation blade and reverse less invasive stabilization system-distal femur systems in the treatment of proximal femoral fractures. Orthop Surg. 2011;3:7–13. CrossRef
- Treatment of bilateral simultaneous subtrochanteric femur fractures with proximal femoral nail antirotation (PFNA) in a patient with osteopetrosis: case report and review of the literature
Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 486-489
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links