Effects of vertebroplasty for delayed-onset paraplegia caused by vertebral pseudarthrosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effectiveness of percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral pseudarthrosis with delayed-onset paraplegia has not been reported. We performed vertebroplasty for such patients and tried to investigate the effectiveness of this surgery.
We studied 11 patients (2001–2007) treated with percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral pseudarthrosis with delayed-onset paraplegia. The mean age of the patients was 71.9 ± 5.2 years and the affected vertebrae were located in the thoracolumbar junction. The mean period between the onset of motor weakness and the day of the surgery was 9.5 ± 5.7 weeks. Vertebroplasty was performed by filling the intravertebral cleft with polymethylmethacrylate. The clinical course was estimated using the Denis pain scale, the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status scale and the modified Medical Research Council grade before the surgery, 0, 1, 3, 6 months and 1 year following the surgery, and at the latest follow-up visit. The instability angle and local kyphotic angle were evaluated with X-rays.
Significant improvements were observed in the pain scale in all patients, as they did not experience severe pain, and the performance status following the surgery. These conditions continued until the final clinical examination. Most patients had motor weakness, with a preoperative manual motor test score of 0–3, which gradually improved to 4–5 over the examination period. The stabilities of the affected vertebrae were confirmed on imaging at the final examination. Kyphotic changes were initially realigned, but a correction loss occurred in 7 of the 11 patients as a result of adjacent vertebral fractures. Increase in kyphosis following the surgery did not affect the muscle strength recovery. Bridging callus formations were observed around the affected vertebrae within 6 months in all cases.
Percutaneous vertebroplasty for vertebral pseudarthrosis with delayed-onset paraplegia is effective for recovering muscle strength, improving performance status and relief from pain, despite local kyphosis.
- Libicher M, Appelt A, Berger I, Baier M, Meeder PJ, Grafe I, Dafonseca K, Noldge G, Kasperk C. The intravertebral vacuum phenomen as specific sign of osteonecrosis in vertebral compression fractures: results from a radiological and histological study. Eur Radiol. 2007;17:2248–52. CrossRef
- Maldague BE, Noel HM, Malghem JJ. The intravertebral vacuum cleft: a sign of ischemic vertebral collapse. Radiology. 1978;129:23–9.
- Hasegawa K, Homma T, Uchiyama S, Takahashi H. Vertebral pseudarthrosis in the osteoporotic spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998;23:2201–6. CrossRef
- Steel HH. Kummell’s disease. Am J Surg. 1951;81:161–7. CrossRef
- Kempinsky WH, Morgan PP, Boniface WR. Osteoporotic kyphosis with paraplegia. Neurology. 1958;8:181–6.
- Sutherland CJ, Miller F, Wang GJ. Early progressive kyphosis following compression fractures. Two case reports from a series of “stable” thoracolumbar compression fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983;173:216–20.
- Tanaka S, Kubota M, Fujimoto Y, Hayashi J, Nishikawa K. Conus medullaris syndrome secondary to an L1 burst fracture in osteoporosis. A case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1993;18:2131–4. CrossRef
- Mochida J, Toh E, Chiba M, Nishimura K. Treatment of osteoporotic late collapse of a vertebral body of thoracic and lumbar spine. J Spinal Disord. 2001;14:393–8. CrossRef
- Kaneda K, Asano S, Hashimoto T, Satoh S, Fujiya M. The treatment of osteoporotic-posttraumatic vertebral collapse using the Kaneda device and a bioactive ceramic vertebral prosthesis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1992;17:S295–303. CrossRef
- Shikata J, Yamamuro T, Iida H, Shimizu K, Yoshikawa J. Surgical treatment for paraplegia resulting from vertebral fractures in senile osteoporosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1990;15:485–9. CrossRef
- Jensen ME, Evans AJ, Mathis JM, Kallmes DF, Cloft HJ, Dion JE. Percutaneous polymethylmethacrylate vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral body compression fractures: technical aspects. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1997;18:1897–904.
- Barr JD, Barr MS, Lemley TJ, McCann RM. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pain relief and spinal stabilization. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000;25:923–8. CrossRef
- Garfin SR, Yuan HA, Reiley MA. New technologies in spine: kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic compression fractures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001;26:1511–5. CrossRef
- Jang JS, Kim DY, Lee SH. Efficacy of percutaneous vertebroplasty in the treatment of intravertebral pseudarthrosis associated with noninfected avascular necrosis of the vertebral body. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003;28:1588–92.
- Lane JI, Maus TP, Wald JT, Thielen KR, Bobra S, Luetmer PH. Intravertebral clefts opacified during vertebroplasty: pathogenesis, technical implications, and prognostic significance. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002;23:1642–6.
- FDA Public Health Web Norification. Complications related to the use of bone cement and bone void fillers in treating compression fractures of the spine. 2004. http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/bonecement.html; http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/.
- Denis F, Armstrong GW, Searls K, Matta L. Acute thoracolumbar burst fractures in the absence of neurologic deficit. A comparison between operative and nonoperative treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984;(189):142–9.
- Verger E, Salamero M, Conill C. Can Karnofsky performance status be transformed to the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group scoring scale and vice versa? Eur J Cancer. 1992;28A:1328–30. CrossRef
- Florence JM, Pandya S, King WM, Robison JD, Baty J, Miller JP, Schierbecker J, Signore LC. Intrarater reliability of manual muscle test (Medical Research Council scale) grades in Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy. Phys Ther. 1992;72:115–22.
- Kuklo TR, Polly DW, Owens BD, Zeidman SM, Chang AS, Klemme WR. Measurement of thoracic and lumbar fracture kyphosis: evaluation of intraobserver, interobserver, and technique variability. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001;26:61–5. CrossRef
- Ataka H, Tanno T, Yamazaki M. Posterior instrumented fusion without neural decompression for incomplete neurological deficits following vertebral collapse in the osteoporotic thoracolumbar spine. Eur Spine J. 2009;18:69–76. CrossRef
- Miyakoshi N, Hongo M, Maekawa S, Ishikawa Y, Shimada Y, Itoi E. Back extensor strength and lumbar spinal mobility are predictors of quality of life in patients with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18:1397–403. CrossRef
- Tanigawa N, Komemushi A, Kariya S, Kojima H, Shomura Y, Omura N, Sawada S. Relationship between cement distribution pattern and new compression fracture after percutaneous vertebroplasty. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;189:W348–52. CrossRef
- Klotzbuecher CM, Ross PD, Landsman PB, Abbott TA 3rd, Berger M. Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: a summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2000;15:721–39. CrossRef
- Watts NB, Josse RG, Hamdy RC, Hughes RA, Manhart MD, Barton I, Calligeros D, Felsenberg D. Risedronate prevents new vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women at high risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:542–9. CrossRef
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, Bauer DC, Genant HK, Haskell WL, Marcus R, Ott SM, Torner JC, Quandt SA, Reiss TF, Ensrud KE. Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet. 1996;348:1535–41. CrossRef
- Neer RM, Arnaud CD, Zanchetta JR, Prince R, Gaich GA, Reginster JY, Hodsman AB, Eriksen EF, Ish-Shalom S, Genant HK, Wang O, Mitlak BH. Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1434–41. CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Mitchell P, Wriedt C, Graves S, Staples MP, Murphy B. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:557–68. CrossRef
- Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Turner JA, Wilson DJ, Diamond TH, Edwards R, Gray LA, Stout L, Owen S, Hollingworth W, Ghdoke B, Annesley-Williams DJ, Ralston SH, Jarvik JG. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:569–79. CrossRef
- Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, Venmans A, van Rooij WJ, Schoemaker MC, Juttmann JR, Lo TH, Verhaar HJ, van der Graaf Y, van Everdingen KJ, Muller AF, Elgersma OE, Halkema DR, Fransen H, Janssens X, Buskens E, Mail WP. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 2010;376:1085–92. CrossRef
- Effects of vertebroplasty for delayed-onset paraplegia caused by vertebral pseudarthrosis
Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Volume 16, Issue 6 , pp 673-681
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors