Changes in gait after bilateral meniscectomy in sheep: effect of two hyaluronan preparations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study examined the effect of bilateral meniscectomy on ground reaction forces (GRFs) in sheep, and the therapeutic effect of two hyaluronan (HA) preparations.
Eighteen sheep were subjected to bilateral lateral meniscectomy and were treated from 16 to 20 weeks postoperatively with intraarticular Hyalgan (Fidia Farmaceutici), HYADD4-G (a novel amide derivative; Fidia Farmaceutici), or saline placebo (n = 6 per group). GRFs were assessed at baseline and 6, 12, 16, 22, and 26 weeks postoperatively. Rheological parameters and HA content of synovial fluid samples were assessed using micro-Fourier rheometry.
Meniscectomy significantly reduced GRF and abolished the normal two-peak vector. GRF deficits were partially ameliorated by both HA preparations: Hyalgan increased peak vertical forces at 6 weeks post-treatment (week 22), while HYADD4-G increased vertical impulse post-treatment. Both HA treatments, but not saline placebo, restored a twopeak composite force vector at 6 weeks post-treatment. Neither HA preparation significantly modulated osteoarthritis (OA) severity, or synovial fluid parameters.
This study showed that GRF responses to bilateral meniscectomy in sheep mimic available data for human meniscectomy and OA patients. However, this time course suggests that gait deficits are temporally unrelated to observed cartilage or synovial fluid changes. The bilateral ovine meniscectomy model demonstrates modest but quantifiable changes in GRF that mimic human OA and are amenable to modification by known OA therapies such as HA.
- Smith MM, Little CB. Experimental models of osteoarthritis. In: Moskowitz RW, Altman RD, Hochberg MC, Buckwalter JA, Goldberg VM, editors. Osteoarthritis. Diagnosis and medical/surgical management. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007. p. 107–125.
- Appleyard RC, Burkhardt D, Ghosh P, Read R, Cake M, Swain MV, et al. Topographical analysis of the structural, biochemical, and dynamic biomechanical properties of cartilage in an ovine model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2003;11:65–77. CrossRef
- Little C, Smith S, Ghosh P, Bellenger C. Histomorphological and immunohistochemical evaluation of joint changes in a model of osteoarthritis induced by lateral meniscectomy in sheep. J Rheumatol 1997;24:2199–209.
- Ghosh P, Numata Y, Smith S, Read R, Armstrong S, Johnson K. The metabolic response of articular cartilage to abnormal mechanical loading induced by medial or lateral meniscectomy. Agents Actions Suppl 1993;39:89–93. CrossRef
- Englund M, Roos EM, Lohmander LS. Impact of type of meniscal tear on radiographic and symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: a 16-year follow up of meniscectomy with matched controls. Arthritis Rheum 2003;48:2178–2187. CrossRef
- Johnson KA, Francis DJ, Manley PA, Chu Q, Caterson B. Comparison of the effects of caudal pole hemi-meniscectomy and complete medial meniscectomy in the canine stifle joint. Am J Vet Res 2004;65:1053–1060. CrossRef
- Ghosh P, Read R, Armstrong S, Wilson D, Marshall R, McNair P. The effects of intraarticular administration of hyaluronan in a model of early osteoarthritis in sheep. I. Gait analysis and radiological and morphological studies. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1993;22(Suppl 1):18–30.
- Oakley SP, Lassere MN, Portek I, Szomor Z, Ghosh P, Kirkham BW, et al. Biomechanical, histologic and macroscopic assessment of articular cartilage in a sheep model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2004;12:667–679. CrossRef
- Yavuzer G, Sonel B, Suldur N, Ergin S. Effects of intra-articular Hylan G-F 20 injections on clinical and biomechanical characteristics of the knee in osteoarthritis. Int J Rehabil Res 2005;28: 371–374. CrossRef
- Tang SF, Chen CP, Chen MJ, Pei YC, Lau YC, Leong CP. Changes in sagittal ground reaction forces after intra-articular hyaluronate injections for knee osteoarthritis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2004;85:951–955. CrossRef
- Fraser JR, Kimpton WG, Pierscionek BK, Cahill RN. The kinetics of hyaluronan in normal and acutely inflamed synovial joints: observations with experimental arthritis in sheep. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1993;22(6 Suppl 1):9–17.
- Borzacchiello A, Mayol L, Ambrosio I, Nicolais L, Schiavinato A. Evaluation of a novel hyaluronic acid derivative on synovial fluid viscoelastic properties. In: 19th European Conference on Biomaterials; September 11–15, 2005; Sorrento, Italy.
- Goldberg VM, Buckwalter JA. Hyaluronans in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence for disease-modifying activity. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2005;13:216–24. CrossRef
- Smith G Jr, Myers SL, Brandt KD, Mickler EA, Albrecht ME. Effect of intraarticular hyaluronan injection on vertical ground reaction force and progression of osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament transection. J Rheumatol 2005;32:325–334.
- Little CB, Ghosh P, Bellenger CR. Topographic variation in biglycan and decorin synthesis by articular cartilage in the early stages of osteoarthritis: an experimental study in sheep. J Orthop Res 1996;14:433–444. CrossRef
- Cake MA, Read RA, Guillou B, Ghosh P. Modification of articular cartilage and subchondral bone pathology in an ovine meniscectomy model of osteoarthritis by avocado and soya unsaponifiables (ASU). Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2000;8:404–411. CrossRef
- Blumenkrantz N, Asboe-Hansen G. New method for quantitative determination of uronic acids. Anal Biochem 1973;54:484–489. CrossRef
- Bagga H, Burkhardt D, Sambrook P, March L. Longterm effects of intraarticular hyaluronan on synovial fluid in osteoarthritis of the knee. J Rheumatol 2006;33:946–950.
- Chen CP, Chen MJ, Pei YC, Lew HL, Wong PY, Tang SF. Sagittal plane loading response during gait in different age groups and in people with knee osteoarthritis. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2003;82:307–312. CrossRef
- Gok H, Ergin S, Yavuzer G. Kinetic and kinematic characteristics of gait in patients with medial knee arthrosis. Acta Orthop Scand 2002;73:647–652. CrossRef
- Durand A, Richards CL, Malouin F, Bravo G. Motor recovery after arthroscopic partial meniscectomy. Analyses of gait and the ascent and descent of stairs. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993;75: 202–214.
- Eastlack RK, Hargens AR, Groppo ER, Steinbach GC, White KK, Pedowitz RA. Lower body positive-pressure exercise after knee surgery. Clin Orthop 2005;431:213–219.
- Bendele AM. Animal models of osteoarthritis. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2001;1:363–376.
- Hill CL, Gale DG, Chaisson CE, Skinner K, Kazis L, Gale ME, et al. Knee effusions, popliteal cysts, and synovial thickening: association with knee pain in osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol 2001;28:1330–1337.
- Felson DT, Chaisson CE, Hill CL, Totterman SM, Gale ME, Skinner KM, et al. The association of bone marrow lesions with pain in knee osteoarthritis. Ann Intern Med 2001;134:541–549.
- Goto M, Hanyu T, Yoshio T, Matsuno H, Shimizu M, Murata N, et al. Intra-articular injection of hyaluronate (SI-6601D) improves joint pain and synovial fluid prostaglandin E2 levels in rheumatoid arthritis: a multicenter clinical trial. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2001;19:377–383.
- Moreland LW. Intra-articular hyaluronan (hyaluronic acid) and hylans for the treatment of osteoarthritis: mechanisms of action. Arthritis Res Ther 2003;5:54–67. CrossRef
- Pasquali Ronchetti I, Guerra D, Taparelli F, Boraldi F, Bergamini G, Mori G, et al. Morphological analysis of knee synovial membrane biopsies from a randomized controlled clinical study comparing the effects of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan®) and methylprednisolone acetate (Depomedrol®) in osteoarthritis. Rheumatology 2001;40:158–169. CrossRef
- Armstrong S, Read R, Ghosh P. The effects of intra-articular hyaluronan on cartilage and subchondral bone changes in an ovine model of early osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol 1994;21:680–688.
- Aihara S, Murakami N, Ishii R, Kariya K, Azuma Y, Hamada K, et al. Effects of sodium hyaluronate on the nociceptive response of rats with experimentally induced arthritis (in Japanese). Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshi 1992;100:359–365.
- Changes in gait after bilateral meniscectomy in sheep: effect of two hyaluronan preparations
Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 514-523
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, South St., Murdoch, WA, 6150, Australia
- 2. Raymond Purves Bone and Joint Research Laboratories, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, NSW, Australia