Recent Studies on Super-Hydrophobic Films
- Akira NakajimaAffiliated withResearch Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
- , Kazuhito HashimotoAffiliated withResearch Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
- , Toshiya WatanabeAffiliated withResearch Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 153-8904, Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Films whose water contact angle is higher than 150° have been the subject of great interest and enthusiastic study in recent years. These films, which are called super-hydrophobic, are fabricated by combining appropriate surface roughness with surfaces of low surface energy. Here we briefly review the fundamental theories on the wettability of a hydrophobic rough solid surface, together with recent works on the processing and properties of super-hydrophobic films. Though the practical application of these films is still limited, the obstacles to application are gradually being surmounted, providing a great opportunity for the development of various industrial products.
- Recent Studies on Super-Hydrophobic Films
Monatshefte für Chemie / Chemical Monthly
Volume 132, Issue 1 , pp 31-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords. Wetting reaction; Hydrophobic; Contact angle; Photocatalyst.
- Industry Sectors