Standardized stimuli to assess drug craving and drug memory in addicts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Due to conditioning processes, originally neutral stimuli become drug-associated cues and can initiate drug craving. Standardized stimuli are required to assess stimulus-induced activation of drug memory and craving in brain imaging and neurophysiology studies. We developed substance-specific visual and olfactory stimuli for alcohol, tobacco, opiate and cannabis abuse and tested them in subjects with the respective addiction and in healthy volunteers. Stimulus-related drug craving differed significantly between the diagnostic groups and indicated that the stimuli are suitable for craving studies.
- Standardized stimuli to assess drug craving and drug memory in addicts
Journal of Neural Transmission
Volume 107, Issue 6 , pp 715-720
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords: Drug-associated stimuli, craving, drug memory, cue reactivity, conditioned response.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of Psychology, Clinical Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience Unit, Humboldt-University, Berlin, DE
- A2. Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Federal Republic of Germany, DE