The use of intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography in the microscopic resection of hemangioblastomas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors assessed the usefulness of intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography (ICG-VA) in the microscopic resection of hemangioblastomas.
From January 2009 to February 2012, nine consecutive patients (seven men, two women) who underwent surgery for hemangioblastomas using intraoperative ICG-VA were included in this study. Surgery was performed on four cystic cerebellar lesions with mural nodules, two solid tumors (one in the cerebellar hemisphere and one in the medulla oblongata), one spinal tumor and multiple tumors in two patients with von Hippel-Lindau disease. Of the nine patients, three were treated for recurrent tumor. The ICG-induced fluorescence images of hemangioblastomas with variable presentation were evaluated.
All tumors could be completely removed en bloc. Blood flow in the tumor and tumor-related vessels at the brain surface were clearly detected by ICG-VA in all cases, except one recurrent tumor where postoperative adhesive scar tissue obstructed ICG-induced fluorescence resulting in poor delineation of the blood flow patterns and tumor margins. ICG-VA was also helpful for detecting the multiple small mural nodules within the cyst or the tumors buried under thin gliotic neural tissue despite reduced fluorescence.
Intraoperative ICG-VA is a safe and easy modality for confirming the vascular flow patterns in hemangioblastomas. In addition, ICG-VA provided useful information for intracystic small lesions or lesions concealed under thin brain tissue in order to accomplish total resection of these tumors.
- Dashti, R, Laakso, A, Niemelä, M, Porras, M, Hernesniemi, J (2009) Microscope-integrated near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography during surgery of intracranial aneurysms: the Helsinki experience. Surg Neurol 71: pp. 543-550 CrossRef
- Fischer, G, Stadie, A, Oertel, JMK (2010) Near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography versus microvascular Doppler sonography in aneurysm surgery. Acta Neurochir (Wein) 152: pp. 1519-1525 CrossRef
- Hänggi, D, Etminan, N, Steiger, HJ (2010) The impact of microscope-integrated intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography on surgery of arteriovenous malformations and dural arteriovenous fistulae. Neurosurgery 67: pp. 1094-1103 CrossRef
- Hwang, SW, Malek, AM, Schapiro, R, Wu, JK (2010) Intraoperative use of indocyanine green fluorescence videography for resection of a spinal cord hemangioblastoma. Neurosurgery 67: pp. 300-303
- Jagannathan, J, Lonser, RR, Smith, R, DeVroom, HL, Oldfield, EH (2008) Surgical management of cerebellar hemangioblastomas in patients with von Hippel-Lindau disease. J Neurosurg 108: pp. 210-222 CrossRef
- Killory, BD, Nakaji, P, Gonzales, LF, Ponce, FA, Wait, SD, Spetzler, RF (2009) Prospective evaluation of surgical microscope-integrated intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green angiography during cerebral arteriovenous malformation surgery. Neurosurgery 65: pp. 456-462 CrossRef
- Lonser, RR, Weil, RJ, Wanebo, JE, DeVroom, HL, Oldfield, EH (2003) Surgical management of spinal cord hemangioblastomas in patients with von Hippel-Lindau disease. J Neurosurg 98: pp. 106-116 CrossRef
- Raabe, A, Nakaji, P, Beck, J, Kim, LJ, Hsu, FP, Kamerman, JD, Seifert, V, Spetzler, RF (2005) Prospective evaluation of surgical microscope-integrated intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography during aneurysm surgery. J Neurosurg 103: pp. 982-989 CrossRef
- Roonprapunt, C, Silvera, VM, Setton, A, Freed, D, Epstein, FJ, Jallo, GI (2001) Surgical management of isolated hemangioblastomas of the spinal cord. Neurosurgery 49: pp. 321-327
- Takagi, Y, Kikuta, K, Nozaki, K, Sawamura, K, Hashimoto, N (2007) Detection of a residual nidus by surgical microscope-integrated intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography in a child with a cerebral arteriovenous malformation. J Neurosurg 107: pp. 416-418
- Vates, GE, Berger, MS Hemangioblastomas of the central nervous system. In: Winn, HR eds. (2004) Youmans Neurological Surgery, ed 5. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 1053-1065
- Wang, C, Zhang, J, Liu, A, Sun, B (2001) Surgical management of medullary hemangioblastoma. Report of 47 cases. Surg Neurol 56: pp. 218-226 CrossRef
- Zhou, LF, Du, G, Mao, Y, Zhang, R (2005) Diagnosis and surgical treatment of brainstem hemangioblastomas. Surg Neurol 63: pp. 307-315 CrossRef
- The use of intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography in the microscopic resection of hemangioblastomas
Volume 154, Issue 8 , pp 1407-1412
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Indocyanine green videoangiography
- Industry Sectors