Digital Image Based Approach for Three-Dimensional Mechanical Analysis of Heterogeneous Rocks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a digital image based approach for three-dimensional (3-D) numerical simulation and failure analysis of rocks by taking into account the actual 3-D heterogeneity. Digital image techniques are adopted to extract two-dimensional (2-D) material heterogeneity from material surface images. The 2-D image mesostructures are further extrapolated to 3-D cuboid mesostructures by assuming the material surface as a representation of the inner material heterogeneity within a very small depth. The iterative milling and scanning system is set up to generate the 3-D rock mesostructures. A Hong Kong granite specimen is used as an example to demonstrate the procedure of 3-D mesostructure establishment. The mechanical responses and failure process under the conventional Brazilian tensile test condition are examined through numerical analyses. The stress distribution, crack propagation process and failure model of heterogeneous material cases are simulated with a finite difference software. The numerical results indicate that material heterogeneity plays an important role in determining the failure behavior of rocks under external loading.
- Canny, J. (1986) A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Trans. Pattern analysis and machine intelligence 8: pp. 679-714 CrossRef
- Chen, S., Yue, Z. Q., Tham, L. G., Lee, P. K. K. (2004a) Modeling of the indirect tensile test for inhomogeneous granite using a digital image-based numerical method. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 41: pp. 447-447
- Chen, S., Yue, Z. Q., Tham, L. G. (2004b) Digital image-based numerical modeling method for prediction of inhomogeneous rock failure. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 41: pp. 939-957 CrossRef
- Cundall, P. A., Strack, O. D. L. (1979) A discrete numerical model for granular assemblies. Geotechnique 29: pp. 47-65 CrossRef
- Fang, Z., Harrison, J. P. (2002a) Development of a local degradation approach to the modeling of brittle fracture in heterogeneous rocks. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 39: pp. 443-457 CrossRef
- Fang, Z., Harrison, J. P. (2002b) Application of a local degradation model to the analysis of brittle fracture of laboratory scale rock specimens under triaxial conditions. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 39: pp. 459-476 CrossRef
- Frost, J. D., McNeil, S. (1998): Proc., Second International Conference on Imaging Technologies: Techniques and Applications in Civil Engineering. A.S.C.E. Switzerland, 354.
- Frost, J. D., Wright, J. R. (1993): Proc., EF/NSF Conference on Digital Image Processing: Techniques and Applications in Civil Engineering. A.S.C.E. Hawaii, 301.
- Ichikawa, Y., Kawamura, K., Uesugi, K., Seo, Y. S., Fujii, N. (2001) Micro- and macrobehavoir of granitic rock: observations and viscoelastic homogenization analysis. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engng. 191: pp. 47-72 CrossRef
- Itasca (1997): FLAC3D Fast Lagrangian analysis of continua in 3 Dimensions, version 2.0. Itasca Consulting Group Inc, Minnesota.
- Kawakata, H., Cho, A., Yanagidani, T., Shimada, M. (2002) The observations of faulting in westerly granite under triaxial compression by x-ray CT Scan. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 34: pp. 375
- Konietzky, H. (2003): Numerical modeling in micromechanics via particle methods. In: Proc., First International PFC Symposium, Gelsenkirchen, Germany, November 2002, 321 pp.
- Li, L. (2001): Microscopic study and numerical simulation of the failure process of granite. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Liang, Z. Z., Tang, C. A., Li, H. X., Zhang, Y. B. (2004): Numerical simulation of the 3-D failure process in heterogeneous rocks. In: Hudson, J. A., Feng, X. T. (eds.). Proc., ISRM SINOROCK 2004 China.
- Plataniotis, K. N., Venetsanopoulos, A. N. (2002) Color image processing and applications. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York
- Prewitt, J. M. S. Object enhancement and extraction. In: Lipkin, B. S., Rosenfeld, A. eds. (1970) Picture processing and psychopictorics. Academic Press, New York
- Roberts, L. G. Machine perception of three-dimensional solids. In: Tippett, J. T. eds. (1965) Optical and electrooptical information processing. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 159-197
- Tang, C. A., Liu, H., Lee, P. K. K., Tsui, Y., Tham, L. G. (2000) Numerical studies of the influence of microstructure on rock failure in uniaxial compression–part I: effect of heterogeneity. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 37: pp. 555-569 CrossRef
- Vutukuri, V. S., Lama, R. D., Saluja, S. S. (1974): Handbook on mechanical properties of rocks, vol. II. Trans Tech, Clausthal.
- Yue, Z. Q., Chen, S., Tham, L. G. (2002): Digital image processing based finite element method for rock mechanics. In: Li, Y., Tang, C., Feng, X., Wang, S. (eds.) Proc., 2nd International Conference on New Developments in Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Supplement. October 10–12, 2002, Shenyang, China. Rinton Press, Princeton, USA, 609–615.
- Yue, Z. Q., Chen, S., Tham, L. G. (2003a) Finite element modeling of geomaterials using digital image processing. Comput. Geotech. 30: pp. 375-397 CrossRef
- Yue, Z. Q., Chen, S., Tham, L. G. (2003b): Seepage analysis in inhomogeneous geomaterials using digital image processing based finite element method. In: Proc., 12th Panamerican Conference for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering and the 39th US Rock Mechanics Symposium, Soil and Rock America 2003. MIT, Boston, USA, June, 2003, 1297–1302.
- Digital Image Based Approach for Three-Dimensional Mechanical Analysis of Heterogeneous Rocks
Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 145-168
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords: Heterogeneous materials, rock, digital image processing, numerical simulation, finite difference method, and failure prediction.
- Industry Sectors