Haloperidol prophylaxis does not prevent postoperative delirium in elderly patients: a randomized, open-label prospective trial
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Postoperative delirium is the most common postoperative complication in the elderly. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the preventive administration of low-dose haloperidol on the development of postoperative delirium after abdominal or orthopedic surgery in elderly patients.
A total of 119 patients aged 75 years or older who underwent elective surgery for digestive or orthopedic disease were included in this study.
Patients were divided into those who did (intervention group, n = 59) and did not (control group, n = 60) receive 2.5 mg of haloperidol at 18:00 daily for 3 days after surgery; a randomized, open-label prospective study was performed on these groups. The primary endpoint was the incidence of postoperative delirium during the first 7 days after the operation.
The incidence of postoperative delirium in all patients was 37.8 %. No side effects involving haloperidol were noted; however, the incidences of postoperative delirium were 42.4 and 33.3 % in the intervention and control groups, respectively, which were not significantly different (p = 0.309). No significant effect of the treatment was observed on the severity or persistence of postoperative delirium.
The preventive administration of low-dose haloperidol did not induce any adverse events, but also did not significantly decrease the incidence or severity of postoperative delirium or shorten its persistence.
- Association. Nationwide survey of hip fractures in Japan. J Orthop Sci 9: pp. 1-5 CrossRef
- Isobe, H, Takasu, N, Mizutani, M, Kimura, W (2007) Management of colorectal cancer in elderly patients over 80 years old (in Japanese). Nippon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 44: pp. 599-605 CrossRef
- Blansfield, JA, Clark, SC, Hofmann, MT, Morris, JB (2004) Alimentary tract surgery in the nonagenarian: elective vs. emergent operations. J Gastrointest Surg 8: pp. 539-542 CrossRef
- Amemiya, T, Oda, K, Ando, M, Kawamura, T, Kitagawa, Y, Fukata, S (2007) Activities of daily living and quality of life of elderly patients after elective surgery for gastric and colorectal cancers. Ann Surg 246: pp. 222-228 CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Fourth Edition. Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
- McCusker, J, Cole, M, Abrahamowicz, M, Primeau, F, Belzile, E (2002) Delirium predicts 12-month mortality. Arch Intern Med 162: pp. 457-463 CrossRef
- Hattori, H, Kamiya, J, Shimada, H, Akiyama, H, Yasui, A, Fukata, S (2009) Assessment of the risk of postoperative delirium in elderly patients using E-PASS and the NEECHAM Confusion Scale. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24: pp. 1304-1310 CrossRef
- Teslyar, P, Stock, VM, Wilk, CM, Camsari, U, Ehrenreich, MJ, Himelhoch, S (2013) Prophylaxis with antipsychotic medication reduces the risk of post-operative delirium in elderly patients: a meta-analysis. Psychosomatics 54: pp. 124-131 CrossRef
- Hakim, SM, Othman, AI, Naoum, DO (2012) Early treatment with risperidone for subsyndromal delirium after on-pump cardiac surgery in the elderly: a randomized trial. Anesthesiology 116: pp. 987-997 CrossRef
- Larsen, KA, Kelly, SE, Stern, TA, Bode, RH, Price, LL, Hunter, DJ (2010) Administration of olanzapine to prevent postoperative delirium in elderly joint-replacement patients: a randomized, controlled trial. Psychosomatics 51: pp. 409-418 CrossRef
- Prakanrattana, U, Prapajtrakool, S (2007) Efficacy of risperidon for prevention of postoperative delirium in cardiac surgery. Anaesth Intensive Care 35: pp. 714-719
- Tagarakis, GI, Voucharas, C, Tsolaki, F, Daskalopoulos, ME, Papaliagkas, V, Parisis, C (2012) Ondasetron versus haloperidol for the treatment of postcardiotomy delirium: a prospective, randomized, double-blinded study. J Cardiothorac Surg 7: pp. 25 CrossRef
- Kaneko, T, Cai, J, Ishikura, T, Kobayashi, M, Naka, T, Kaibara, N (1999) Prophylactic consecutive administration of haloperidol can reduce the occurrence of postoperative delirium in gastrointestinal surgery. Yonago Ada Med 42: pp. 179-184
- Wang, W, Li, HL, Wang, DX, Zhu, X, Li, SL, Yao, GQ (2012) Haloperidol prophylaxis decreases delirium incidence in elderly patients after noncardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Crit Care Med 40: pp. 731-739 CrossRef
- Kalisvaart, KJ, Jonghe, JF, Bogaards, MJ, Vreeswijk, R, Egberts, TC, Burger, BJ (2005) Haloperidol prophylaxis for elderly hip surgery patients at risk fur delirium: A randomized placebo-controlled study. J Am Geriatr Soc 53: pp. 1658-1666 CrossRef
- Schrader, SL, Wellik, KE, Demaerschalk, BM, Caselli, RJ, Woodruff, BK, Wingerchuk, DM (2008) Adjunctive haloperidol prophylaxis reduces postoperative delirium severity and duration in at-risk elderly patients. Neurologist 14: pp. 134-137 CrossRef
- Seitz D, Gill SS. Perioperative haloperidol to prevent postoperative delirium. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54(5):861; author reply 861–3.
- Wang MD. Perioperative haloperidol usage for delirium management. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54(5):860–1; author reply 861–3.
- Cockrell, JR, Folstein, MF (1988) Mini-mental state examination (MMSE). Psychopharmacol Bull 24: pp. 689-692
- Anthony, JC, LeResche, L, Niaz, U, Korff, MR, Folstein, MF (1982) Limits of the ‘Mini-Mental State’ as a screening test for dementia and delirium among hospital patients. Psychol Med 12: pp. 397-408 CrossRef
- Mahoney, FL, Barthel, DW (1965) The Barthel. Index. Maryland. State. Mad J 14: pp. 61-65
- Neelon, VJ, Champagne, MT, Carlson, JR, Funk, SG (1996) The NEECHAM confusion scale: construction, validation, and clinical testing. Nurs Res 45: pp. 324-330 CrossRef
- Matsushita, T, Matsushima, E, Maruyama, M (2004) Early detection of postoperative delirium and confusion in a surgical ward using the NEECHAM Confusion Scale. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26: pp. 158-163 CrossRef
- Schuurmans, MJ, Deschamps, PI, Markham, SW, Shortridge-Baggett, LM, Duursma, SA (2003) The measurement of delirium: review of scales. Res Theory Nurs Pract 17: pp. 207-224 CrossRef
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with delirium. Am J Psychiatry 156: pp. 1-20
- Hatta, K (2005) Clinical Guideline for the Treatment of Delirium Japanese Society of General Hospital Psychiatry Practice Guidelines 1. Seiwa Shoten, Tokyo
- Immers, HE, Schuurmans, MJ, Bijl, JJ (2005) Recognition of delirium in ICU patients: a diagnostic study of the NEECHAM Confusion Scale in ICU patients. BMC Nurs 4: pp. 7 CrossRef
- Forsman, A, Ohman, R (1976) Pharmacokinetic studied on haloperidol in man. Curr Ther Res Exp 20: pp. 319-336
- Cole, MG (2004) Delirium in elderly patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12: pp. 2-7 CrossRef
- Inouye, SK, Bogardus, ST, Carpenter, PA, Leo-Summers, L, Acampora, D, Holford, TR (1999) A multicomponent intervention to prevent delirium in hospitalized older patients. N Engl J Med 340: pp. 669-676 CrossRef
- Cole, MG, Primeau, F, McCusker, J (1996) Effectiveness of intervention s to prevent delirium in hospitalized patients: a systematic review. CMAJ 155: pp. 1263-1268
- Marcantonio, ER, Flacker, JM, Wright, RJ, Resnick, NM (2001) Reducing delirium after hip fracture: a randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 49: pp. 516-522 CrossRef
- Colombo, R, Corona, A, Praga, F, Minari, C, Giannotti, C, Castelli, A (2012) A reorientation strategy for reducing delirium in the critically ill. Results of an interventional study. Minerva Anestesiol 78: pp. 1026-1033
- Demeure, MJ, Fain, ML (2006) The elderly surgical patient and postoperative delirium. J Am Coll Surg 203: pp. 752-757 CrossRef
- Robinson, TN, Kiseman, U (2008) Postoperative delirium in the elderly: diagnosis and management. Clin Interv Aging 3: pp. 351-355
- Olin, K, Eriksdotter-Jonhagen, M, Jansson, A, Herrington, MK, Kristiasson, M (2005) Permert Jet. Postoperative delirium in elderly patients after major abdominal surgery. Br J Surg 92: pp. 1559-1564 CrossRef
- Goldenberg, G, Kiselev, P, Bharathan, T, Baccash, E, Gill, L, Madhav, V (2006) Predicting postoperative delirium in elderly patients undergoing surgery for hip fracture. Psychogeriatrics 6: pp. 43-48 CrossRef
- Santana, SF, Wahlund, LO, Varli, F, Tadeu, VI, Eriksdotter, JH (2005) Incidence, clinical features and subtypes of delirium in elderly patients treated for hip fractures. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 20: pp. 231-237 CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition, Text Revision (DSM IV-TR).
- Trzepacz, PT, Baker, RW, Greenhouse, J (1988) A symptom rating scale for delirium. Psychiatry Res 23: pp. 89-97 CrossRef
- Haloperidol prophylaxis does not prevent postoperative delirium in elderly patients: a randomized, open-label prospective trial
Volume 44, Issue 12 , pp 2305-2313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Haloperidol prophylaxis
- Postoperative delirium
- Elderly patients
- Randomized open-label prospective trial
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Japan
- 8. Department of Perioperative Medical Care, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, 35 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi, 474-8511, Japan
- 2. Department of Surgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
- 4. Department of Restorative Medicine, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Japan
- 5. Center for Advanced Medicine and Clinical Research, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
- 6. Kyoto University Health Service, Kyoto, Japan
- 7. Department of Psychiatry, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Japan