Landiolol hydrochloride for early postoperative tachycardia after transthoracic esophagectomy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To validate the safety and efficacy of landiolol, a beta1-selective blocker, as a primary care option for postoperative tachycardia after transthoracic esophagectomy.
The subjects were 74 consecutive patients who underwent esophagectomy between May 2008 and December 2009. Patients who developed tachycardia with a heart rate >120 bpm for >5 min were defined as candidates for the use of landiolol. The rate of successful heart control without adverse effects was the primary endpoint. The reduction of the rate pressure product (RPP) and heart rate were used as secondary endpoints.
Thirteen patients (18 %) were treated with landiolol for postoperative tachycardia. No adverse effects were observed. Successful management using landiolol alone was achieved in 10 of the 13 patients (77 %). Of the three patients for whom landiolol treatment was unsuccessful, two were also not successfully managed promptly by other treatments. The heart rate and RPP were reduced by landiolol, with median changes of 38 and 44 %, respectively, without significant negative inotropic effects.
Although our sample size was small, an improved cardiac performance and no severe negative inotropic effects were observed with the use of landiolol. Landiolol could therefore be an efficient and safe choice for the management of postoperative tachycardia after esophagectomy.
- Amar D. Cardiopulmonary complications of esophageal surgery. Chest Surg Clin N Am. 1997;7:449–56.
- Podrid PJ. Prevention of postoperative atrial fibrillation: what is the best approach? J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;34:340–2. CrossRef
- Mowry FM, Reynolds EW. Cardiac rhythm disturbances complicating resectional surgery of the lung. Ann Intern Med. 1964;61:688–95. CrossRef
- Nielsen JB, Sorensen HR, Alstrup P. Atrial fibrillation following thoracotomy for noncardiac disease in particular cancer of the lung. Acta Med Scand. 1973;193:425–9. CrossRef
- Krowka MJ, Pairolero PC, Trastek VF, Payne WS, Bernatz PE. Cardiac dysrhythmia following pneumonectomy: clinical correlates and prognostic significance. Chest. 1987;91:490–5. CrossRef
- Von Knorring J, Lepantalo M, Lindgren L, Lindfors O. Cardiac arrhythmias and myocardial ischemia after thoracotomy for lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 1992;53:642–7. CrossRef
- Vaporciyan AA, Correa AM, Rice DC, Roth JA, Smythe WR, Swisher SG, et al. Risk factors associated with atrial fibrillation after noncardiac thoracic surgery: analysis of 2588 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;127:779–86. CrossRef
- Murthy SC, Law S, Whoolery BP, Alexandrou A, Chu KM, Wong J. Atrial fibrillation after esophagectomy is a marker for postoperative morbidity and mortality. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;126:1162–7. CrossRef
- Stipple DL, Taylan C, Schröder W, Beckurts KT, Hölscher AH. Supraventricular tachyarrhythmia as early indicator of a complicated course after esophagectomy. Dis Esophagus. 2005;18:267–73. CrossRef
- Ommen SR, Odell JA, Stanton MS. Atrial arrhythmias after cardiothoracic surgery. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:1429–34. CrossRef
- Amar D, Burt ME, Bains MS, Leung DH. Symptomatic tachydysrhythmias after esophagectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;61:1506–9. CrossRef
- Wallace A, Layug B, Tateo I, Li J, Hollenberg M, Browner W, et al. Prophylactic atenolol reduces postoperative myocardial ischemia. Anesthesiology. 1998;88:7–17. CrossRef
- Reed GL III, Singer DE, Picard EH, De Sanctis RW. Stroke following coronary-artery bypass surgery. A case–control estimate of the risk from carotid bruits. N Engl J Med. 1988;319:1246–50. CrossRef
- Amar D, Roistacher N, Burt M, Reinsel RA, Ginsberg RJ, Wilson RS. Clinical and echocardiographic correlates of symptomatic tachydysrhythmias after noncardiac thoracic surgery. Chest. 1995;108:349–54. CrossRef
- Hahm TS, Lee JJ, Yang MK, Kim JA. Risk factors for an intraoperative arrhythmia during esophagectomy. Yonsei Med J. 2007;48:474–9. CrossRef
- León X, Orús C, López M, Sainz S, Quer M. Consequences of the bilateral vagus nerve section at a cervical level. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2003;54:157–60. CrossRef
- Neal JM, Wilcox RT, Allen HW, Low DE. Near-total esophagectomy: the influence of standardized multimodal management and intraoperative fluid restriction. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2003;28:328–34.
- Imamura M, Shimada Y, Kanda T, Miyahara T, Hashimoto M, Tobe T, et al. Hemodynamic changes after resection of thoracic duct for en bloc resection of esophageal cancer. Surg Today. 1992;22:226–32. CrossRef
- Ritchie AJ, Tolan M, Whiteside M, McGuigan JA, Gibbons JR. Prophylactic digitalization fails to control dysrhythmia in thoracic esophageal operations. Ann Thorac Surg. 1993;55:86–8. CrossRef
- Sakamoto A, Kitakaze M, Takamoto S, Namiki A, Kasanuki H, Hosoda S. Landiolol, an ultra-short-acting β1-blocker, more effectively terminates atrial fibrillation than diltiazem after open heart surgery: prospective, multicenter, randomized, open-label study (JL-KNIGHT study). Circ J. 2012;76(5):1097–101. CrossRef
- Fujiwara H, Sakurai M, Namai A, Kawamura T. Effect of low-dose landiolol, an ultrashort-acting beta-blocker, on postoperative atrial fibrillation after CABG surgery. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009;57(3):132–7. CrossRef
- Imren Y, Benson AA, Zor H, Tasoglu I, Ereren E, Sinci V, et al. Preoperative beta-blocker use reduces atrial fibrillation in off-pump coronary bypass surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2007;77(6):429–32. CrossRef
- Iguchi S, Iwamura H, Nishizaki M, Hayashi A, Senokuchi K, Kobayashi K, et al. Development of a highly cardioselective ultra short acting beta-blocker, ONO-1101. Chem Pharm Bull. 1992;40:1462–9. CrossRef
- Atarashi H, Kuruma A, Yashima M, Saitoh H, Ino T, Endoh Y, et al. Pharmacokinetics of landiolol hydrochloride, a new ultra-short-acting beta blocker, in patients with cardiac arrhythmias. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000;68:143–50. CrossRef
- Yoshida Y, Terajima K, Sato C, Akada S, Miyagi Y, Hongo T, et al. Clinical role and efficacy of landiolol in the intensive care unit. J Anesth. 2008;22:64–9. CrossRef
- Wariishi S, Yamashita K, Nishimori H, Fukutomi T, Yamamoto M, Radhakrishnan G, et al. Postoperative administration of landiolol hydrochloride for patients with supraventricular arrhythmia: the efficacy of sustained intravenous infusion at a low dose. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009;9:811–3. CrossRef
- Force S. The “innocent bystander” complications following esophagectomy: atrial fibrillation, recurrent laryngeal nerve injury, chylothorax, and pulmonary complications. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;16(2):117–23. CrossRef
- Gibbs HR, Swafford J, Nguyen HD, Ewer MS, Ali MK. Postoperative atrial fibrillation in cancer surgery: preoperative risks and clinical outcome. J Surg Oncol. 1992;50:224–7. CrossRef
- Hagiwara S, Iwasaka H, Maeda H, Noguchi T. Landiolol, an ultra short-acting beta 1-adrenoceptor antagonist, has protective effects in an LPS-induced systemic inflammation model. Shock. 2009;31:515–20. CrossRef
- Suda K, Kitagawa Y, Ozawa S, Miyasho T, Okamoto M, Saikawa Y, et al. Neutrophil elastase inhibitor improves postoperative clinical courses after thoracic esophagectomy. Dis Esophagus. 2007;20:478–86. CrossRef
- Raimondi AM, Guimaraes HP, Amaral JL, Leal PH. Perioperative glucocorticoid administration for prevention of systemic organ failure in patients undergoing esophageal resection for esophageal carcinoma. Sao Paulo Med J. 2006;124:112–5. CrossRef
- Heywood JT. Calcium channel blockers for heart rate control in atrial fibrillation complicated by congestive heart failure. Can J Cardiol. 1995;11:823–6.
- Iberti TJ, Benjamin E, Paluch TA, Gentili DR, Gabrielson GV. Use of constant-infusion verapamil for the treatment of postoperative supraventricular tachycardia. Crit Care Med. 1986;14:283–4. CrossRef
- Cooklin M, Gold MR. Implication and treatment of atrial fibrillation after cardiothoracic surgery. Curr Opin Cardiol. 1998;13:20–7. CrossRef
- Yoshida Y, Hongo T, Sakamoto A, Ogawa R. Successful management of tachycardiac atrial fibrillation in a septic patient with landiolol. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:294. CrossRef
- Sakai H, Igarashi K, Imai M, Miura K, Kanai M, Okazaki A. Perioperative heart rate control with landiolol for a patient with rapid atrial fibrillation complicated with low cardiac function. Masui. 2004;53:555–8.
- Poldermans D, Boersma E, Bax JJ, Thomson IR, van de Ven LL, Blankensteijn JD. The effect of bisoprolol on perioperative mortality and myocardial infarction in high-risk patients undergoing vascular surgery. Dutch Echocardiographic Cardiac Risk Evaluation Applying Stress Echocardiography Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1789–94. CrossRef
- Sezai A, Minami K, Nakai T, Hata M, Yoshitake I, Wakui S, et al. Landiolol hydrochloride for prevention of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass grafting: new evidence from the PASCAL trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;141(6):1478–87. CrossRef
- Landiolol hydrochloride for early postoperative tachycardia after transthoracic esophagectomy
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 848-854
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Adrenergic beta-1 receptor blockers
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8655, Japan
- 5. Gastroenterology Center, The Cancer Institute Hospital of Japanese Federation of Cancer Research, Ariake 3-10-6, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-8550, Japan
- 2. Department of Anesthesiology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8655, Japan
- 3. Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8655, Japan
- 4. Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8655, Japan