Successful n-butyl cyanoacrylate embolization of a spontaneous rupture of the internal mammary artery in a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome: report of a case
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hemomediastinum and hemothorax due to spontaneous internal mammary artery (IMA) rupture is extremely rare, and can be a life-threatening condition. We herein present, to the best of our knowledge, the first case of spontaneous IMA rupture complicating myelodysplastic syndrome, and the first case that was successfully treated by emergency trans-arterial embolization using n-butyl cyanoacrylate.
- Chemelli AP, Chemelli-Steingruber IE, Banaros N, et al. Coil embolization of internal mammary artery injured during central vein catheter and cardiac pacemaker lead insertion. Eur J Radiol. 2009;71:269–74. CrossRef
- Kim SJ, Kim CW, Kim S, et al. Endovascular treatment of a ruptured internal thoracic artery pseudoaneurysm presenting as a massive hemothorax in a patient with type 1 neurofibromatosis. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2005;28:818–21. CrossRef
- Conlon NP, Redmond KC, Celi LA. Spontaneous hemothorax in a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1 and undiagnosed pheochromocytoma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;84:1021–3. CrossRef
- Aru GM, English WP, Netherland D, Heath BJ. Internal thoracic artery rupture in a child with type IV Ehler-Danlos syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999;117:1021–2. CrossRef
- Engelke C, Mohan AR, Sabharwal T, Reidy JF. Peripheral aneurysm rupture in a patient with inactive systemic lupus erythematosus. Eur J Radiol. 2002;12:2895–7.
- Cohen JD, Sahar G, Singer P, Nili M, Keslin J, Vidne BA. Massive spontaneous hemothorax as a presenting sign of aneurysmal rupture of the internal thoracic artery. J Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;39:383–5.
- Morimatsu Y, Koga T, Akiyoshi H, Koganemaru M, Sakamoto T, Aizawa H. Massive hemothorax due to rupture of internal thoracic artery aneurysm after vaginal delivery. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007;86(4):504–5. CrossRef
- Chan LW, Fermanis GG. Spontaneous haemothorax caused by an internal mammary aneurysm. Aust N Z J Surg. 1996;66:332–3. CrossRef
- Kantarjian H, Giles F, List A, et al. The incidence and impact of thrombocytopenia in myelodysplastic syndrome. Cancer. 2007;109:1705–14. CrossRef
- Rojas CA, Restrepo CS. Mediastinal hematomas: aortic injury and beyond. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009;33:218–24. CrossRef
- Ali HA, Lippmann M, Mundathaje U, Khaleeq G. Spontaneous hemothorax: a comprehensive review. Chest. 2008;134:1056–65. CrossRef
- Kish JW, Katz MD, Marx MV, Harrell DS, Hanks SE. N-butyl cyanoacrylate embolization for control of acute arterial hemorrhage. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2004;15:689–95. CrossRef
- Yonemitsu T, Kawai N, Sato M, et al. Comparison of hemostatic durability between n-butyl cyanoacrylate and gelatin sponge particles in transcatheter arterial embolization for acute arterial hemorrhage in a coagulopathic condition in a swine model. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2010;33:1192–7. CrossRef
- Successful n-butyl cyanoacrylate embolization of a spontaneous rupture of the internal mammary artery in a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome: report of a case
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 564-567
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Spontaneous IMA rupture
- n-BCA embolization
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Endovascular Therapy, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7-5-2, Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0017, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7-5-2, Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0017, Japan