Immediate reconstruction using a modified inframammary adipofascial flap after partial mastectomy
Breast conservative therapy (BCT) as treatment for early breast cancer usually ensures local control and acceptable cosmetic results. We describe a new technique of using an inframammary adipofascial flap to reconstruct defects caused by lower-pole partial mastectomy, which achieved excellent results (Kijima et al. in Am J Surg 193:789–91 (1); Sakai et al. in Ann Plast Surg 29(2):173–7, 2; Ogawa Am J Surg 193:514–8, 3). We developed this procedure as an oncoplastic technique for a Japanese woman with a similar defect without ptosis. After partial mastectomy, the superior half of the flap is harvested via an initial incision along the inframammary line, and the inferior half is harvested via an additional incision along the caudal edge of the flap, to produce a crescent of de-epithelialized skin. A tongue-shaped flap containing the crescent of de-epithelialized skin, subcutaneous fat, and the fascia of the vertical rectus abdominis muscle is then rotated upwards, gathered, and inserted into the breast defect.
- Kijima Y, Yoshinaka H, Owaki T, Funasako Y, Aikou T. Immediate reconstruction using inframammary adipofascial flap of the anterior rectus sheath after partial mastectomy. Am J Surg. 2007;193:789–91. CrossRef
- Sakai S, Suzuki I, Izawa H. Adipofascial (anterior rectus sheath) flaps for breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 1992;29(2):173–7. CrossRef
- Ogawa T, Hanamura N, Yamashita M, Ri Y, Kuriyama N, Isaji S. Usefulness of breast-volume replacement using an inframammary adipofascial flap after breast-conservation therapy. Am J Surg. 2007;193:514–8. CrossRef
- Fisher B, Anderson S, Redmond CK, Wolmark R, Wickerham DL, Cronin WM. Reanalysis and results after 12 years of follow-up in a randomized clinical trial comparing total mastectomy with lumpectomy with or without irradiation in the treatment of breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1456–61. CrossRef
- Berrino P, Campora E, Santi P. Postquadrantectomy breast deformities: classification and techniques of surgical correction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987;79(4):567–72. CrossRef
- Cooperman AM, Dinner M. The rhomboid flap and partial mastectomy. Surg Clin N Am. 1978;58:869–73.
- Grisotti A. Immediate reconstruction after partial mastectomy. Oper Tech Plast Reconstruct Surg. 1994;1:1–12. CrossRef
- Audretsch WP, Rezai M, Kolotas C, Zamboglou N, Schnabel T, Bojar H (1994) Onco-plastic surgery: “target” volume reduction (BCT-mastopexy), lumpectomy reconstruction (BCT-reconstruction) and flap-supported operability in breast cancer. In: Proceeding 2nd European congress on senology; October 2–6, 1994; Vienna, Austria; Bologna, Italy, Moncuzzi, 1994:139–157.
- Clough KB, Cuminet J, Fitoussi A, Nos C, Mosseri V. Cosmetic sequelae after conservative treatment for breast cancer: classification and results of surgical correction. Ann Plast Surg. 1998;41:471–81. CrossRef
- Clough KB, Soussaline M, Campana F, Campana F, Salmon RJ. Mammoplasty combined with irradiation: conservative treatment of cancers located in the lower quadrant. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 1990;35(2):117–22.
- Clough KB, Nos C, Salmon RJ, Soussaline M, Durand JC. Conservative treatment of breast cancer by mammaplasty and irradiation: a new approach to lower quadrant tumors. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995;96(2):363–70. CrossRef
- Nos C, Fitoussi A, Bourgeosis D, Fourquet A, Salmon RJ, Clough KB. Conservative treatment of lower pole breast cancers by bilateral mammoplasty and radiotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 1998;24(6):508–14. CrossRef
- Clough KB, Kaufman GJ, Nos C, Buccimazza I, Sarfati IM. Improving breast cancer surgery: a classification and quadrant per quadrant atlas for oncoplastic surgery. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010;17:1375–91. CrossRef
- Smith ML, Evans GR, Gurlek A, Bouvet M, Singletary SE, Ames FC, et al. Reduction mammaplasty: its role in breast conservation surgery for early-stage breast cancer. Ann Plast Surg. 1998;41(3):234–9. CrossRef
- Munhoz AM, Montag E, Arruda EG, Sldrighi C, Gemperli R, Aldrighi JM, Ferreira MC. Critical analysis of reduction mammaplasty techniques in combination with conservative breast surgery for early breast cancer treatment. Ann Plast Surg. 2006;117:1091–103.
- Kronowitz SJ, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM, Strom EA, Buchholz TA, Ensor JE, et al. Practical guidelines for repair of partial mastectomy defects using the breast reduction technique in patients undergoing breast conservation therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120(7):1755–68. CrossRef
- Losken A, Elwood ET, Styblo TM, Boswick III. The role of reduction mammaplasty in reconstructing partial mastectomy defect. Plast Reconstrct Surg. 2002;109:968–77. CrossRef
- Kijima Y, Yoshinaka H, Hirata M, Mizoguchi T, Ishigami S, Arima H, et al. Oncoplastic surgery combining partial mastectomy with breast reconstruction using a free nipple–areola graft for ductal carcinoma-in situ in a ptotic breast: report of a case. Surg Today. 2011;41(3):390–5. CrossRef
- Kijima Y, Yoshinaka H, Ishigami S, Hirata M, Koichi K, Funasako Y, et al. Oncoplastic surgery for Japanese patients with ptotic breasts. Breast Cancer. 2010. doi:10.1007/212282-009-0190-0.
- Kijima Y, Yoshinaka H, Owaki T, Aikou T. Early experiences of immediate reconstruction using autologous free dermal fat graft after breast conservational surgery. J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2007;60:495–502. CrossRef
- Kijima Y, Yoshinaka H, Funasako Y, Kaneko K, Hirata M, Ishigami S, et al. Immediate reconstruction using thoracodorsal adipofascial flap after partial mastectomy. Breast. 2009;18:126–9. CrossRef
- Sakai S, Kijima Y, Ogawa T, Satake T, Ishikawa T. Inframammary adipo-fascial flap. In: Yagata H, Haga S, Nakamura S, editors. Breast-conserving therapy for aesthetic and oncological outcome. 1st ed. Tokyo, Japan: Medical Science International; 2010. p. 219–40.
- Immediate reconstruction using a modified inframammary adipofascial flap after partial mastectomy
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 43, Issue 4 , pp 456-460
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Breast conservative therapy
- Oncoplastic surgery
- Immediate reconstruction
- Modified inframammary adipofascial flap
- Inframammary adipofascial flap
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Digestive Surgery, Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8-35-1, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890-8520, Japan