A randomized prospective trial comparing clinical outcomes 3 years after surgery by Marcy repair and Prolene Hernia System® repair for adult indirect inguinal hernia
The use of mesh in the surgical repair of adult indirect inguinal hernias is widely recommended in Western countries, but no randomized controlled trials have so far been reported in Japan. The purpose of the present randomized prospective trial was to compare a mesh method with non-mesh method for surgical repair of primary adult indirect inguinal hernias in which the diameter of the internal inguinal ring was up to 3.0 cm (I-1 or I-2 of Japanese Hernia Society Classification).
Patients with a primary unilateral inguinal hernia and I-1 or I-2 surgical findings were randomized to undergo either Marcy repair or Prolene Hernia System® repair. Primary endpoints were recurrence, infection, and pain, with follow-up continued for 3 years postoperatively.
Ninety-one of 479 patients with an inguinal hernia during the study period did not meet the exclusion criteria, and 46 were allocated to Marcy repair and 45 were allocated to Prolene Hernia System® repair. No recurrence was observed in either group, and no significant differences were identified between the groups in any of the primary endpoints.
This randomized prospective trial of I-1 and I-2 inguinal hernias suggests that Marcy repair is not inferior to PHS repair. A large-scale randomized controlled trial appears warranted to confirm whether to use mesh for Japanese adult I-1 and I-2 hernias.
- Rutkow IM. Epidemiologic, economic, and sociologic aspects of hernia surgery in the United States in the 1990s. Surg Clin North Am 1998;78:941–51; v–vi.
- Primatesta P, Goldacre MJ. Inguinal hernia repair: incidence of elective and emergency surgery, readmission and mortality. Int J Epidemiol. 1996;25:835–9. CrossRef
- Chunq L, Norrie J, O’Dwyer PJ. Long-term follow-up of patients with a painless inguinal hernia from a randomized clinical trial. Br J Surg. 2011;98:596–9. CrossRef
- Simons MP, Aufenacker T, Bay-Nielsen M, Bouillot JL, Campanelli G, Conze J, et al. European hernia society guidelines on the treatment of inguinal hernia in adult patients. Hernia. 2009;13:343–403. CrossRef
- Kawamura T, Sato K, Sahara H, Oishi Y, Nakajima A. Clinical outcomes by Marcy repair for type I-1 and I-2 inguinal hernia based on the Japanese Hernia Society Classification (in Japanese). Nihon Gekakeirengo Gakkaishi (J Jpn Coll Surg). 2009;34:737.
- Sakurai S. Groin hernia classification and related anatomy (in Japanese). Shokakigeka (Gastroenterol Surg). 2009;32:279–92.
- Japanese hernia society. Japanese hernia society classification of inguinal hernia. 2009. http://www.med.teikyo-u.ac.jp/~surgery2/hernia.
- Griffith CA. The Marcy repair of indirect inguinal hernia: 1807 to present. In: Nyhus LM, Condon RE, editors. Hernia. 3rd ed. Lippincott: Philadelphia; 1989. p. 106–18.
- Gilbert AI, Graham MF, Voigt WJ. A bilayer patch device for inguinal hernia repair. Hernia. 1999;3:161–6. CrossRef
- Schumpelick V, Klinge U. Prosthetic implants for hernia repair. Br J Surg. 2003;90:1457–8. CrossRef
- Vita GD, Milano S, Frazzetta M, Patti R, Palazzolo V, Barbera C, et al. Tension-free hernia repair is associated with an increase in inflammatory response against mesh. Am J Surg. 2000;180:203–7. CrossRef
- Heise CP, Staring JR. Mesh inguinodynia: a new clinical syndrome after inguinal herniorraphy? J Am Coll Surg. 1998;187:514–8. CrossRef
- Beets GL, Oosterhuis KJ, Go PM, Baeten CG, Kootsra G. Longterm follow-up (12–15 years) of a randomized controlled trial comparing Bassini-Stetten, Shouldice, and high ligation with narrowing of the internal ring for primary inguinal hernia repair. J Am Coll Surg. 1997;185:352–7.
- Nilsson E, Haapaniemi S, Gruber G, Sandblom G. Methods of repair and risk for reoperation in Swedish hernia surgery from 1992 to 1996. Br J Surg. 1998;85:1686–91. CrossRef
- A randomized prospective trial comparing clinical outcomes 3 years after surgery by Marcy repair and Prolene Hernia System® repair for adult indirect inguinal hernia
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 43, Issue 10 , pp 1109-1115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Tension free
- Industry Sectors