Criteria for the glucagon provocative test in the diagnosis of gastrinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The glucagon provocative test is useful for the diagnosis of gastrinoma. The aim of this study was to determine the criteria for the glucagon provocative test.
This study reviewed 8 patients that underwent the glucagon provocative test preoperatively and in whom the diagnosis was confirmed as gastrinoma histologically. The glucagon provocative test was performed by administering glucagon (20 μg/kg) intravenously, followed by 20 μg/kg h for the next 30 min, and plasma gastrin levels were measured 3 and 1 min before and 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30 min after the administration of glucagon. This study evaluated the peak value of plasma gastrin and the time required to reach the peak.
Two of the 8 patients had multiple endocrine neoplasm type 1. The basal plasma gastrin levels ranged from 524 to 10,300 pg/ml. The time required to reach the peak was 3–10 min for all patients. The increase in the peak from the basal value was 235–8,920 pg/ml, and the percentage of increase was 38–337 %.
These results suggest that a diagnosis of gastrinoma should thus be made when plasma gastrin levels peak within 10 min after glucagon administration, with an increase of greater than 200 pg/ml and greater than 35 % of the basal value.
- Murugesan SVM, Varro A, Pritchard DM. Strategies to determine whether hypergastrinemia is due to Zollinger-Ellison syndrome rather than a more common benign cause. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009;29:1055–68. CrossRef
- Isenberg JI, Walsh JH, Passaro E Jr, Moore EW, Grossman MI. Unusual effect of secretin on plasma gastrin and gastric acid secretion in a patient with suspected Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Gastroenterology. 1972;62:626–31.
- Deveney CW, Deveney KS, Jaffe BM, Jones RS, Way LW. Use of calcium and secretin in the diagnosis of gastrinoma (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). Ann Intern Med. 1977;87:680–6. CrossRef
- Lamers CB. Clinical usefulness of the secretin provocation test. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1981;3:255–9. CrossRef
- Turner JJO, Wren AM, Jackson JE, Thakker RV, Meeran K. Localization of gastrinomas by selective intra-arterial calcium injection. Clin Endocrinol. 2002;57:821–5. CrossRef
- Wada M, Komoto I, Doi R, Imamura M. Intravenous calcium injection test is a novel complementary procedure in differential diagnosis for gastrinoma. World J Surg. 2002;26:1291–6. CrossRef
- Shibata C, Funayama Y, Fukushima K, Ueno T, Kohyama A, Satoh K, et al. The glucagon provocative test for the diagnosis and treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. J Gastrointest Surg. 2008;12:344–9. CrossRef
- Korman MG, Soveny C, Hansky J. Effect of glucagon on plasma gastrin. II: studies in pernicious anemia and the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Gut. 1973;14:459–61. CrossRef
- Frucht H, Howard JM, Slaff JI, Wank SA, McCarthy DM, Maton PN, et al. Secretin and calcium provocative tests in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1989;111:713–22. CrossRef
- Berna MJ, Hoffmann KM, Long SH, Serano J, Gibril F, Jensen RT. Plasma gastrin in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: II. Prospective study on gastrin provocative testing in 293 patients from the National Institute of Health and comparison with 537 cases from the literature. Evaluation of diagnostic criteria, proposal of new criteria, and correlation with clinical and tumoral features. Medicine (Baltimore). 2006;85:331–64. CrossRef
- Thompson JC, Reeder DD, Villar HV, Fender HR. Natural history and experience with diagnosis and treatment of the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1975;140:721–39.
- Imamura M, Komoto I, Ota S. Changing treatment strategy for gastrinoma in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. World J Surg. 2006;30:1–11. CrossRef
- Roy PK, Venzon DJ, Shojamanesh H, Abou-Saif A, Peghini P, Doppman JL, et al. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Clinical presentation in 261 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2000;79:379–411. CrossRef
- Shibata C, Funayama Y, Fukushima K, Takahashi K, Ueno T, Nagao M, et al. Role of selective arterial secretin injection test in treatment of gastrinoma. Hepatogastroenterology. 2006;52:960–3.
- Hansky J, Soveny C, Korman MG. The effect of glucagon on plasma gastrin. I: studies in normal subjects. Gut. 1973;14:457–61. CrossRef
- Long SH, Berna MJ, Thill M, Pace A, Pradhan TK, Hoffmann KM, et al. Secretin-receptor and secretin-receptor-variant expression in gastrinomas: correlation with clinical and tumoral features and secretin and calcium provocative test results. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4394–402. CrossRef
- Tang C, Biemond I, Lamers CB. Expression of peptide receptors in human endocrine tumours of the pancreas. Gut. 1997;40:267–71.
- Criteria for the glucagon provocative test in the diagnosis of gastrinoma
Volume 43, Issue 11 , pp 1281-1285
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Biological Regulation and Oncology, Department of Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 1-1 Seriyo-machi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980-8574, Japan
- 2. Department of Surgery, South Miyagi Medical Center, Ogawara, Miyagi, Japan