Hydatid cyst of the thyroid gland: report of three cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cystic Echinococcosis is a parasitic infestation that is distributed world-wide. It may be found in nearly any part of the body, most often in the liver and the lungs, but occasionally in other structures such as the thyroid gland. The present study reports three cases of hydatid cysts of the thyroid gland, in patient ranging from 18 to 25 years of age. Two patients had concomitant hydatid disease involving organs other than the thyroid gland (secondary disease), and one had, sole, involvement of the thyroid gland itself (primary disease). Moreover, an occult papillary thyroid carcinoma was detected incidentally in one case, involving the unilateral thyroid lobe as the hydatid cyst. While several surgical procedures including left lobectomy and isthmectomy were undertaken in one patient, two patients underwent total thyroidectomy. No disease recurrence was observed in any of the three patients during the postoperative follow-up period. No study reporting the concomitance of hydatid cyst and neoplasia of the thyroid gland has been previously published. This concomitance indicates the importance of the differential diagnosis of lesions characterized by calcifications in the thyroid gland, especially in endemic regions.
- Akbulut S, Senol A, Ekin A, Bakir S, Bayan K, Dursun M. Primary retroperitoneal hydatid cyst: report of 2 cases and review of 41 published cases. Int Surg. 2010;95(3):189–96.
- Azendour I, Boulaich M. Primary hydatid cyst of the thyroid gland. Int J Otolaryngol. 2011;2011:713089.
- Erbil Y, Barbaros U, Baspinar I. Hydatid cyst of the thyroid gland: two case reports. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2005;13:318–20. CrossRef
- Gökçe C, Patiroğlu T, Akşehirli S, Durak AC, Keleştimur F. Hydatic cyst in the thyroid gland diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Thyroid. 2003;13(10):987–9. CrossRef
- Hamamci EO, Besim H, Korkmaz A. Unusual locations of hydatid disease and surgical approach. ANZ J Surg. 2004;74(5):356–60. CrossRef
- Ozaydin I, Ozaydin C, Oksuz S, Yildirim M. Primary echinococcus cyst of the thyroid: a case report. Acta Med Iran. 2011;49(4):262–4.
- Zulfikaroglu B, Ozalp N, Keskek M, Koc M. Primary echinococcal cyst of the thyroid: report of a case. Surg Today. 2008;38(9):833–5. CrossRef
- Moghimi M, Kamrava SK, Asghari AM, Heshmatzade Behzadi A, Jalessi M, Naraghi MM, et al. Primary echinococcal cyst in the thyroid gland: a case report from Iran. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2009;3(9):732–4.
- Avcu S, Unal O, Kotan C, Oztürk M, Ozen O. Submandibular and thyroid gland involvement of hydatid cysts: a very rare association with percutaneous treatment. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2010;16(3):251–4.
- Akbulut S, Yavuz R, Akansu B, Sogutcu N, Arikanoglu Z, Basbug M. Ectopic bone formation and extramedullary hematopoiesis in the thyroid gland: report of a case and literature review. Int Surg. 2011;96(3):260–5. CrossRef
- Hydatid cyst of the thyroid gland: report of three cases
Volume 43, Issue 8 , pp 937-941
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Hydatid cyst
- Unusual location
- Differential diagnosis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Liver Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Inonu University Faculty of Medicine, 44280, Malatya, Turkey
- 2. Department of Surgery, Malatya Park Hospital, 44000, Malatya, Turkey
- 3. Department of Pathology, Inonu University Faculty of Medicine, 44280, Malatya, Turkey