Evaluation of the efficacy of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis guideline implementation in Japan
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In Japan, the incidence of venous thromboembolism (VTE), including deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE), has been relatively low; however, the incidence has recently been increasing. Since April 2004, we have developed an original computer-linked VTE prophylaxis in order to decrease the incidence of in-hospital VTE. Our objective has been to evaluate the efficacy of the VTE prophylaxis guideline.
A retrospective pre- and postintervention study was conducted (preintervention phase, n = 17 854; postintervention phase, n = 26 831). Data were obtained from the clinical records of patients who underwent vascular surgery and were screened for DVT at our institution.
The frequency of patients screened for DVT increased significantly from 70 (0.4%) to 209 (0.8%) after the establishment of a guideline (P < 0.001). Asymptomatic DVT patients increased from 5 (12.5%) in the control group to 33 (50.0%) in the intervention group (P < 0.0001), while symptomatic DVT events with leg swelling decreased from 29 (72.5%) to 16 (24.2%) (P < 0.0001). Furthermore, shock and massive PE events were significantly lower (from 31.3% to 0%; P < 0.05).
Our VTE prophylaxis guidelines are considered to be useful for the detection of asymptomatic DVT patients during hospitalization, thus leading to a significantly lower incidence of postoperative VTE.
- Dalen JE, Alpert JS. Natural history of pulmonary embolism. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 1975;17:259–270. CrossRef
- Bratzler DW, Raskob GE, Murray CK. Underuse of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis for general surgery patients. Physician practice in the community hospital setting. Arch Intern Med 1998;158:1909–1912. CrossRef
- Kakkar UV, Howe CT, Flanc C. Natural history of postoperative deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1969;2:230–233. CrossRef
- Eikelboom JW, Quinlam DJ, Douketis JD. Extended-duration prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism after total hip or knee replacement. Lancet 2001;358:9–15. CrossRef
- Dismuke SE, Wagner EH. Pulmonary embolism as a cause of death: the changing mortality in hospitalized patients. JAMA 1986;255:2039–2042. CrossRef
- Stratton MA, Anderson FA, Bussey HI. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: adherence to the 1995 American College of Chest Physicians Consensus Guidelines for Surgical Patients. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:334–340. CrossRef
- Cohen AT, Tapson VF, Bergman JF, Goldhaber SZ. Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet 2008;371:387–394. CrossRef
- Kucher N, Koo S, Quiroz R. Electronic alerts to prevent venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients. N Engl J Med 2005;352(10):969–977. CrossRef
- Greets WH. Prevention of venous thromboembolism. Chest 2001;119:132S–175S. CrossRef
- Hwang WS. The rarity of pulmonary thromboembolism in Asians. Singapore Med J 1986;9:276–279.
- Anderson FA Jr, Wheeler HB, Goldberg RJ, Hosmer DW. A population-based perspective of the hospital incidence and casefatality rates of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Arch Intern Med 1991;151:933–938. CrossRef
- Oger E. Incidence of venous thromboembolism: a community-based study in Western France. EPI-GETBP Study Group. Thromb Haemost 2000;83:657–660.
- Silverstein MD, Heit JA, Mohr DN. Trends in the incidence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism; a 25-year population-based study. Arch Intern Med 1998;158:585–593. CrossRef
- Sakuma M, Konno Y, Shirato K. Increasing mortality from pulmonary embolism in Japan, 1951–2000. Circ J 2002;66:1144–1149. CrossRef
- Lilienfeld DE. Decreasing mortality from pulmonary embolism in the United States, 1979–1996. Int J Epidemiol 2000;29:465–469. CrossRef
- Klatsky AL, Armstrong MA, Poggi J. Risk of pulmonary embolism and/or deep vein thrombosis in Asian-Americans. Am J Cardiol 2000;85:1334–1337. CrossRef
- Angchisuksiri P, Pingsuthiwong S, Aryuchai K. Prevalence of the G1691A mutation in the factor V gene and the G20210A prothrombin gene mutation in the Thai population. Am J Hematol 2000;65:119–122. CrossRef
- Shen MC, Lin JS, Tsay W. High prevalence of antithrombin III, protein C and protein S deficiency, but no factor V Leiden mutation in venous thrombophilic Chinese patients in Taiwan. Thromb Res 1997;87:377–385. CrossRef
- Kinoshita S, Iida H, Inoue S. ProteinS and proteinC gene mutations in Japanese deep vein thrombosis patients. Clin Biochem 2005;38:908–915. CrossRef
- Mazzolai L, Duchosnel MA. Hereditary thrombophilia and venous thromboembolism: critical evaluation of the clinical implications of screening. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2007;34:483–488. CrossRef
- Heijboer H, Buller HR, Lensing AWA. A comparison of real-time compression ultrasonography with impedance plethysmography for the diagnosis of deep-vein thrombosis in symptomatic outpatients. N Eng J Med 1993;329:1365–1369. CrossRef
- Pederson OM, Aslaksen A, Vik-Mo H, Bassoe AM. Compression ultrasonography in hospitalized patients with suspected deep venous thrombosis. Arch Intern Med 1991;151:2217–2220. CrossRef
- Hull RD, Raskob GE, Rosenbloom D, Panju AA, Brill-Edwards P. Heparin for 5 days as compared with 10 days in the initial treatment of proximal venous thrombosis. N Engl J Med 1990;322:1260–1264. CrossRef
- Valleno A, Arnau JM, Miralda GP, Perez-Bartdi J. Use of venous thromboprophylaxis and adherence to guideline recommendations: a cross-sectional study. Thromb J 2004;2(1):3. CrossRef
- Leizorovicz A, Cohen AT, Turpie AGG, Olsson CG, Vaitkus PT, Goldhaber SZ. Randomized placebo-controlled trial of dalteparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in acutely ill medical patients. Circulation 2004;110:874–879. CrossRef
- Gardlund B. Randomized, controlled trial of low-dose heparin for prevention of fatal pulmonary embolism in patients with infectious diseases. Lancet 1996;347:1357–1361. CrossRef
- Bergmann JF, Caulin C. Heparin prophylaxis in bedridden patients. Lancet 1996;348:205–206. CrossRef
- Goldhaber SZ, Dunn K, Gerhard-Herman M, Park JK, Black PM. Low rate of venous thromboembolism after craniotomy for brain tumor using multimodality prophylaxis. Chest 2002;122:1933–1937. CrossRef
- Greenfield LJ. Evolution of venous interruption for pulmonary thromboembolism. Arch Surg 1992;127:622–626.
- Norris CS, Greenfield LJ, Herrmann JB. Free-floating iliofemoral thrombus: a risk of pulmonary embolism. Arch Surg 1985;120:806–808.
- Aito S, Pieri A, D’Andrea M. Primary prevention of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in acute spinal cord injured patients. Spinal Cord 2002;40:300–303. CrossRef
- Evaluation of the efficacy of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis guideline implementation in Japan
Volume 40, Issue 12 , pp 1129-1136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Venous thromboembolism
- Deep venous thrombosis
- Pulmonary embolism
- Prophylaxis guideline
- Industry Sectors